2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The build out has been going pretty dang well!

But.... Not everything is Rainbow and Unicorns.

Little speed bump worth noting, for others considering similar build. Nothing major, just nitpicking and trying to satisfy my OCD,

-TPIS Sensors. The new 4500/5500 use a TPIS instead of a TPMS. Its an information system, not a monitoring system. Meaning, you can (in theory) check your pressure view the trucks computer while driving. I've tried damn near everything to get this working with the super single conversion, but it doesn't seem like its going to be easy. The computer is still looking for 2 wheels that don't exist. I've tried the OEM sensors, and some Autel Programmable ones. Neither worked. Still havent given up yet. I THINK i might be able to pull this off using the trailer tire monitoring system though. I ordered the module and the plug (truck is prewired) but the trailer tire sensors are specific and they seem to be on permanent back order. Will update when i figure this out. I get a "Service Tire Pressure System" warning every time i start up the truck.

This is very small in the grand scheme of things, but i am bored, and going nuts that i cant figure it out! hahaha.

Link to the trailer tire monitoring info: https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuild...jGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBA2U5kLliMpi

Ninelitetrip

Do you plan on having onboard air? Two tanks rated at say @100 psi, install one sensor in each tank. However do the sensors also detect motion? So while driving the 4 sensors are in motion and the other two are stationary? Just spitballing here.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Do you plan on having onboard air? Two tanks rated at say @100 psi, install one sensor in each tank. However do the sensors also detect motion? So while driving the 4 sensors are in motion and the other two are stationary? Just spitballing here.

Yes I’ll have onboard air via a ARB Dual compressor.

Won’t be running a tank.

Contrary to popular belief, the Dual ARB fills faster and much more efficiently withOUT a tank. I’ve done several tests personally.

Older cheaper compressors that don’t put out the same CFM benefit from tanks, but the newer more powerful ones perform better without them.

From what I’ve been told, but haven’t verified is they also require motion.

That’s a dang good idea. Thanks

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
and that worked??

on what vehicle?

Of course, the sensor simply measures the air pressure. If it wants say 50PSI, this could be in a tire, or a container for all it cares.

I've personally built these for a couple F350's when going from the stock tires that the truck wants to see 80PSI in the rears, and guys go to 35x12.5x18's that have a max pressure of 60PSI, the tire pressure light comes on. Build one of these, toss all four sensors in, set it to 80PSI, and zap strap it to the undercarriage.

Ninelitetrip

On the bit about motion. At least on larger vehicles like a class A RV or coach that has a tag axle the system accounts for lack of motion on the tag axle. I suppose it just depends on the coding in your system?

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
On the bit about motion. At least on larger vehicles like a class A RV or coach that has a tag axle the system accounts for lack of motion on the tag axle. I suppose it just depends on the coding in your system?

I've never seen it care about motion.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Of course, the sensor simply measures the air pressure. If it wants say 50PSI, this could be in a tire, or a container for all it cares.

I've personally built these for a couple F350's when going from the stock tires that the truck wants to see 80PSI in the rears, and guys go to 35x12.5x18's that have a max pressure of 60PSI, the tire pressure light comes on. Build one of these, toss all four sensors in, set it to 80PSI, and zap strap it to the undercarriage.

Thats flipping genius and I will give it a try.
Simple enough.

Thanks

Ninelitetrip

As these systems become more integrated, such as adaptive cruise control, I can see a vehicle applying the brakes and steering the vehicle if the TPMS sensed a rapid loss of air pressure. Maybe take a slow cruise in a big open space and test your setup once you build it.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
As these systems become more integrated, such as adaptive cruise control, I can see a vehicle applying the brakes and steering the vehicle if the TPMS sensed a rapid loss of air pressure. Maybe take a slow cruise in a big open space and test your setup once you build it.

EXCELLENT POINT!! Didn’t even think of that!

I’ve been driving it somewhat with none of the sensors working and so far no noticeable issues, but that’s a great point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues