2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
They are great because you can specify the runners anywhere you'd like in the ceiling, walls, etc...

I am just doing some minimal prewiring for some LED interior lights, external marker lights, and fans in the roof before installing it all together.

I'll be doing all my plumbing INSIDE the box, so 1, its all accessible to work on in case of a failure, but also to get it as warm as possible to prevent freezing.

I've seen some nifty builds with this stuff. One guy putting one on a unimog had a super long drill and hogged out a small section of the walls to run all his wires, and it came out super clean. Not the way i would do it, as it would mess with R value i am sure, but his method was nicely done.

A long drill bit, that's how it's done :) That Unimog owner is a Space ship engineer and did an amazing job building that rig.

asanto

I have built a RAM 5500 with flatbed and 12 foot camper. With a little weight on the flatbed, the truck ride was not all that bad, certainly never dangerous. Truck always felt planted and never had the rear wheels hop. Once I put a 4,500 pound camper on it, the ride was really good. I had confidence carving through the Rockys at highway speeds. Never felt like it would sway or tip in corners. I took it off road (not Jeep like) and found it to be decent. Mostly fire roads and cruising around BLM land in Moab. OP has selected a great platform for a decent sized camper. Just keep the heavy stuff low and between the axels.
This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- putting on a 4kish camper, trying to decide between F450/550 and RAM 4500/5500. I stumbled on OPs YouTube videos in my research on Buckstop SS Conversion kit and am now subscribed. I've watched a lot of people max out GVWR (done it myself) and don't want to do that again hence the move to a beefier platform where I'll never exceed GVWR. Love the build thread.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- putting on a 4kish camper, trying to decide between F450/550 and RAM 4500/5500. I stumbled on OPs YouTube videos in my research on Buckstop SS Conversion kit and am now subscribed. I've watched a lot of people max out GVWR (done it myself) and don't want to do that again hence the move to a beefier platform where I'll never exceed GVWR. Love the build thread.

Thanks!

The Ford vs Ram platform is basically a personal preference thing. Both of them have close to the same specs, same options, same price, etc... The big Fords do have a few more suspension options right now, but that's changing.

This is my first Domestic, so i had no bias. For me it came down to the interior. I found the Ram to be CONSIDERABLY quieter on the inside, driving down the freeway, and personally just liked the fit and layout of it all.

I'd suggest spending some time driving both a bit before making your decision.

I really liked the idea of having the "Super Cab" of the Ford for a little more room, but the interior and noise on the Ram was so much better that i went with the Reg cab.

One note, the 4500/5500 differences are negligible, and either would of been more than sufficient for me.

BUT... The 5500 was available with 4.89 gearing from the factory, the 4500 was not. Its no cost to order with whatever gear ratio you want, so that saves $3-4k in the long run to regear. These big trucks are more $ to regear than the smaller more common ones.

My .02

Any questions, feel free. I am learning on the fly! :)

asanto

Thanks!

The Ford vs Ram platform is basically a personal preference thing. Both of them have close to the same specs, same options, same price, etc... The big Fords do have a few more suspension options right now, but that's changing.

This is my first Domestic, so i had no bias. For me it came down to the interior. I found the Ram to be CONSIDERABLY quieter on the inside, driving down the freeway, and personally just liked the fit and layout of it all.

I'd suggest spending some time driving both a bit before making your decision.

I really liked the idea of having the "Super Cab" of the Ford for a little more room, but the interior and noise on the Ram was so much better that i went with the Reg cab.

One note, the 4500/5500 differences are negligible, and either would of been more than sufficient for me.

BUT... The 5500 was available with 4.89 gearing from the factory, the 4500 was not. Its no cost to order with whatever gear ratio you want, so that saves $3-4k in the long run to regear. These big trucks are more $ to regear than the smaller more common ones.

My .02

Any questions, feel free. I am learning on the fly! :)
I didn't realize 4.89 gearing was available on the 5500 from the factory, that's a big plus. Yeah just starting to look now, it's a slow burn project at the moment, but will test drive to compare. I do like the Super Cab, we are a family of 5, and although our teenage kids don't always come along on trips, it's nice to have the extra cab room either way.

Look forward to seeing the build progress. (y)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I didn't realize 4.89 gearing was available on the 5500 from the factory, that's a big plus. Yeah just starting to look now, it's a slow burn project at the moment, but will test drive to compare. I do like the Super Cab, we are a family of 5, and although our teenage kids don't always come along on trips, it's nice to have the extra cab room either way.

Look forward to seeing the build progress. (y)

Yeah, and with the MPT81s i'm spinning around 1700-1750RPMs on the freeway at 65mph which is the Cummins happy place for economy.

Need to do more testing, but so far as it sits with no weight on it, i am getting 17-17.5mpg

jonathon

In that class of truck engine choices would make up my mind between a Ram and a Ford. Diesel I’d go Cummins all day long. Gas I’d opine Ford has the best options with the 7.3 and 10 speed auto. Ram only has the Aisin behind the 6.4 Hemi, which is a good trans but outmatched by Ford

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
In that class of truck engine choices would make up my mind between a Ram and a Ford. Diesel I’d go Cummins all day long. Gas I’d opine Ford has the best options with the 7.3 and 10 speed auto. Ram only has the Aisin behind the 6.4 Hemi, which is a good trans but outmatched by Ford

Not completely true..

I have the Aisin 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans behind the Cummins, which is supposedly their beefiest Trans. It shifts like a big huge clunky HD trans, even new, but i'll deal with the hard shifts if it doesnt give me issues :)

FWIW: When in Canada and Alaska the Ford outnumbered the Rams 10:1 (if not more) with the locals. Figured there had to be some reason behind that, but couldnt find anything blatantly wrong with the Ram.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Not completely true..

I have the Aisin 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans behind the Cummins, which is supposedly their beefiest Trans. It shifts like a big huge clunky HD trans, even new, but i'll deal with the hard shifts if it doesnt give me issues :)

FWIW: When in Canada and Alaska the Ford outnumbered the Rams 10:1 (if not more) with the locals. Figured there had to be some reason behind that, but couldnt find anything blatantly wrong with the Ram.

Northern Canada chiming in. The Ford's outnumber the rams 10:1 because they're a much tougher truck. Not necessarily more reliable, but tougher. Able to withstand the abuses of the climate and industry much better.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Northern Canada chiming in. The Ford's outnumber the rams 10:1 because they're a much tougher truck. Not necessarily more reliable, but tougher. Able to withstand the abuses of the climate and industry much better.

Makes sense. Yeah, the further I got I to Canada the more and more fords totally outnumbered Rams

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Makes sense. Yeah, the further I got I to Canada the more and more fords totally outnumbered Rams

Yeah, it's crazy. Even more so with the fleet stuff even, Speaking from experience (logging fleets primarily) are almost universally Ford up here, and often even F150 over superduty for numerous reasons. It's fascinating to watch a half ton truck with a 700L tidy tank (~200 gallons) of diesel, 20 gallons of hydraulic oil, and 4 guys + gear trucking along seemingly without issue, yet I have honestly never seen a chevy or dodge half ton doing that sort of duty. Incredibly overweight, with 1300lb's of fuel + 300lb tank, +200 pounds of hydro oil, chains, etc, plus 4, ~250lb guys, and another couple hun of gear.

There's still use of one tons for trucks that haul 2 700L tidy tanks, or tow heavy of course. Probably gone from 90% one ton to 50/50 at this point, if not 60 or 70% half ton to 30/40 one ton

The fleet owners i'm around typically ran a mix of Ford gas and diesel one tons, up until 2011 when they started switching slowly to the half tons for crew trucks. Buy them for 15k cheaper than a gas one ton, and 20+k cheaper than a diesel one ton, yet they're getting similar life span to the one tons, albeit with slightly increased maintenance costs, but we're talking a couple thousand bucks over the life of the truck, so it's a no brainer.

The guys that run one tons still typically have all run chevy or dodge stuff at one point and got sick and tired of pounding front ends out of the dodges every 30-40k miles of bush road, and tranny's every 100k. I never really get singular reasons they don't run chevy stuff, just usually "tried em, didn't work"

It's fascinating watching die hard dodge and chevy guys who's personal stuff is every brand but ford, owning 20+ ford work trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman