2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sorry for the bother. We know the ones you received work. I just don't trust whoever I get on the phone at Centramatic to pick the right ones.

It's an identical setup. 2020 5500 with Buckstop steel wheels and 335/80R20 MPT81's.

Thanks.

Going back to this. Did you ever order them? I am thinking i might want some bigger ones with more balancing media in the front, now that i have a few more miles on it

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Did you call them? [emoji12]

I like mine so far, but they are noisey.

[middle finger emoji] :ROFLMAO: [middle finger emoji]

Its pretty low on the priority list right now. My professional DIY HVAC consulting business has taken off after my latest pic, so i dont have anymore free time. [more middle finger emojis]

But yeah, mine are loud until around 40mph or so, then they are good. I've had lots of folks stop me and tell me something was wrong and rubbing. Hehehehe

Brad_UT

Going back to this. Did you ever order them? I am thinking i might want some bigger ones with more balancing media in the front, now that i have a few more miles on it

I did and they came in quite a while ago. Centramatic PN 400-422.

They fit great with no sanding of the hubs. They are a bit noisy at low speed. You can definitely hear the sand sloshing around. At almost 30mph exactly, though, the sand settles to one side and the noise goes away. I only have maybe 20-30 miles on them and haven't even been on the freeway with them yet so jury is still out.

One alternative is beads of course. My local tire guy says that in the winter when temps are really cold the beads will harden up and take some time to warm and start to disperse. Local tire guy also said he could balance the tire/wheel on his machine using really big stick on weights. Centramatic or beads will self adjust at the tire wears. Sticky weights will not. So, lots of things to consider....

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I did and they came in quite a while ago. Centramatic PN 400-422.

They fit great with no sanding of the hubs. They are a bit noisy at low speed. You can definitely hear the sand sloshing around. At almost 30mph exactly, though, the sand settles to one side and the noise goes away. I only have maybe 20-30 miles on them and haven't even been on the freeway with them yet so jury is still out.

One alternative is beads of course. My local tire guy says that in the winter when temps are really cold the beads will harden up and take some time to warm and start to disperse. Local tire guy also said he could balance the tire/wheel on his machine using really big stick on weights. Centramatic or beads will self adjust at the tire wears. Sticky weights will not. So, lots of things to consider....

One thing I've been told is that the beads wont work with the TPMS sensors.

Speaking of which... you got all those working ok?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Just found this build. Watched the videos on the youtube. Great work.
The video of the total composite kit made quite a few light bulbs go off. Didn't realize they had the wire chases in the panels like that.

Thanks. Yeah, the wire chases are super slick, and make the build out super clean with some pre planning

Brad_UT

Glad to hear! Did you move the ones that came with the truck into the new wheels?

Still get a brief error message on startup because 2 are missing?
Yep, took your advice and used the factory sensors in the new rims. I am not using the two inside rear dually sensors so I do get that error message you see too. I need to dig around in AlphaOBD to see if there is a setting to get rid of that.

I noticed the valve stems on the rears are pretty hard to get to since the rims are dish side out. Airing up/dn when they're muddy isn't going to be fun. I was going to go by the truck tire place at some point and see if they have some flexible valve stem extensions that clip on and make the stem accessible from the outside of the rim. I think I've seen those on semi trucks before.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yep, took your advice and used the factory sensors in the new rims. I am not using the two inside rear dually sensors so I do get that error message you see too. I need to dig around in AlphaOBD to see if there is a setting to get rid of that.

I noticed the valve stems on the rears are pretty hard to get to since the rims are dish side out. Airing up/dn when they're muddy isn't going to be fun. I was going to go by the truck tire place at some point and see if they have some flexible valve stem extensions that clip on and make the stem accessible from the outside of the rim. I think I've seen those on semi trucks before.

Awesome! Let me know what ya find out about the AlphaOBD please

As for the rears. I ordered a bunch of various things on Amazon and returned what didn’t work.

These little things work perfectly and fit like they are made for it. Makes it all super easy

Fontic 2-Pack 90 Degree Angled Brass Car Motorcycle Scooter Bike Universal Schrader Valve Stem Extension Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRUAMO5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_VrSPFbG4DA15G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Got one of the windows in today.

I was admittedly skeptical of the Arctic Tern windows because they cost almost a 1/3 of what the next option is, but i'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and ease of install. I see why they are so dang popular!

Start to finish took a little less than an hour and 2.5 beers.

A lot of different ways to cut the hole. What i did:

-Got dimensions of cut out and screen assembly
-Did some math, carried the 1 (protip: always carry the 1)
-Laid out the cut out with sharpie
-I suck at math, so checked sharpie marks with window frame
-Laid out the screen assembly with blue tape
-Checked my math, carried the 1 again
-Used a 5.5" hole saw (140mm) to do the radiuses
-Cut the rest with a multitool (damn i love that thing)
-Popped into place perfectly (likely because i carried the 1)

Notes:
1: Placing a vacuum hose on high under it while drilling/cutting drastically minimizes dust and mess
2: A magnetic tip phillips screwdriver is basically mandatory.
3: If you're wondering why its so high up, i am going to have a big fat primadonna mattress and dont want my head resting on the window like my last setup, drove me bonkers.

window4_FORUM.jpg

window3_FORUM.jpg

window2_FORUM.jpg

window1_FORUM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3