2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Couple items I just removed that I don’t need and selling, will also post in the for sale section, but I’m guessing folks following this build interested

-300ah LifeBlue Low Temp LifePO4 battery with built in heater and blue tooth.

Bought new 9/23/2020. Still tests brand new. Bring whatever testing equipment you have to test it’s function.

$1000 FIRM (paid almost $3k) picked up in San Diego (will NOT ship) full specs and details here. I confirmed with them this is 100% identical to the ones on their website now, just a different case:

7B38210F-4B71-4E61-ABF9-E4BDBD1C64FE.jpeg

Last edited:

StenchRV

ONLY Downside i see with my Houghton Bel Air (rec pro unit) is the footprint it takes up on the roof. Its huge, no doubt.

But for me, having a slightly smaller solar array was well worth the trade off.

That and a small height reduction is the only reason we are giving thought to a "split unit" 120V to keep the cost about the same.
I know a few people running the Pioneer inverter 9000 BTU mini split that are pleased with it.
12V units are INSANELY priced!

We thought we had our minds made up but as with any project we decided to go a different route.
Searching now for the AC to use as we might be installing AC roof wiring next month. REAL WORLD feedback and ideas welcome.

NOW...with that said....IF we decide to go with the Houghton Bel Air (Rec Pro) unit. In your real world research do you think the slightly small version of the one you have, 9.5 instead of 13.5, would be capable of cooling a habitat about 10% larger than yours. I do not want to overwork a smaller unit.
I would love to mount the huge thing east to west with a wind deflector of some sort. In reality I would have to mount it off to the side if we go with either sized unit. I have quite a bit of hands on experience with solar, batteries and inverters so I have a pretty good real world idea of what our needs, plus some head room, will be.

THANKS!...................and THANKS AGAIN for a GREAT build thread!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
NOW...with that said....IF we decide to go with the Houghton Bel Air (Rec Pro) unit. In your real world research do you think the slightly small version of the one you have, 9.5 instead of 13.5, would be capable of cooling a habitat about 10% larger than yours. I do not want to overwork a smaller unit.
I would love to mount the huge thing east to west with a wind deflector of some sort. In reality I would have to mount it off to the side if we go with either sized unit. I have quite a bit of hands on experience with solar, batteries and inverters so I have a pretty good real world idea of what our needs, plus some head room, will be.

At this point in my old, cranky age, comfort will outweigh costs every single time, always! :)

With a rig this big, who honestly cares if its 5-6" higher? Not this guy!

As for the smaller unit...

Absolutely, and honestly, if that 9.5 unit was an option when i originally ordered mine, i would of went with that instead. That must be a new model. My 13.5 is way more than enough for what i need and again, it makes the camper an icebox within 1.5 hours.

3 things that set the Houghtons apart from the rest that absolutely justify the cost are the built in soft start, and the VERY quiet operation. It is CONSIDERABLY quieter than any of my friends units i have heard. Even more important for me is the 2" height of the interior ducting so i dont have to duck while inside the camper. Most others are 4" or so.

Not sure if east to west mounting would work. The instructions were very specific on its mounting. Also, the open vents on the top would be exposed while driving if mounted sideways.

As youll notice in the pics below, mine is mounted off to the passenger side as well (but oriented north south). Its that hole you can see in the pic.

This has turned out to be a perfect mounting spot.

roofinstalled2_FORUM.jpg

StenchRV

At this point in my old, cranky age, comfort will outweigh costs every single time, always!

HECK YEAH!

With a rig this big, who honestly cares if its 5-6" higher? Not this guy! ?

Agreed.....on at least a few levels....LOL!

The 9.5K Unit shows exactly the same just without the heat pump, do not care about that.
Took some research to make sure it also had the soft start built in. It looks the same, just smaller.
Thank you for a hands on evaluation of the 13.5K. Mounting N/S is the smart way to go.

If we go that way a version of the way you mounted yours would be a must. We are planning some upper cabinets so it would be slightly more towards the middle. I think I can turn one solar panel N/S, others E/W, at get the AC unit lined up that way. Will put pen to paper this week.

CHEERS!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Here is my solution for mounting the server rack batteries.

3/4” Baltic birch designed to be stout but also allow airflow so that the furnace air that’s heating the cabin can easily get to the batteries too.

That second tier isn’t load bearing, the bottom battery bears the load as it’s a shoehorn fit

These batteries are a ******** to work with because of the awkward shape and weight (100lbs+ each)

FD952821-DD5E-437F-9796-3B4D79A906AC.jpeg

Last edited:

StenchRV

RESPECT!

After watching our Total Composites box being put together this week by OAT I have a TON of respect for you doing it yourself. It can be done in the right shop and with a few friends but it takes a BUNCH of work. My hat is off to you man for your DIY!

CHEERS!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
RESPECT!

After watching our Total Composites box being put together this week by OAT I have a TON of respect for you doing it yourself. It can be done in the right shop and with a few friends but it takes a BUNCH of work. My hat is off to you man for your DIY!

CHEERS!

I admire anyone taking on such a project. No matter what materials and suppliers used. It's a lot of work. But at the end it's a priceless feeling enjoying it on trips.

Cheers!

gregmchugh

Observer
At this point in my old, cranky age, comfort will outweigh costs every single time, always! :)

With a rig this big, who honestly cares if its 5-6" higher? Not this guy!

As for the smaller unit...

Absolutely, and honestly, if that 9.5 unit was an option when i originally ordered mine, i would of went with that instead. That must be a new model. My 13.5 is way more than enough for what i need and again, it makes the camper an icebox within 1.5 hours.

3 things that set the Houghtons apart from the rest that absolutely justify the cost are the built in soft start, and the VERY quiet operation. It is CONSIDERABLY quieter than any of my friends units i have heard. Even more important for me is the 2" height of the interior ducting so i dont have to duck while inside the camper. Most others are 4" or so.

Not sure if east to west mounting would work. The instructions were very specific on its mounting. Also, the open vents on the top would be exposed while driving if mounted sideways.

As youll notice in the pics below, mine is mounted off to the passenger side as well (but oriented north south). Its that hole you can see in the pic.

This has turned out to be a perfect mounting spot.

View attachment 710988

Also note that the Houghton AC should not be used while driving, at least that is the instruction I got from Advanced RV when they installed it in our GXV Patagonia a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach