2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This device is used in van builds. I have run across this in a friends Road Trek.
I should start working on my grey tank in about 2 weeks. I also do not want standing water in a p-trap, it would have to be outside in the box with the gray tank. The box will be insulated but still.

Simple enough and you always carry a spare so it is east to replace on the road.
Just something else to muddy the water :)

CHEERS!!

I ordered a few of those early on to test when i was brainstorm the sink initially.

VERY low quality and cheesy seeming. Could they work? Possibly..

i just chose another route based on my scientific guesstimation... LOL

Also, and a bit extra, i am also hoping said one way valve helps in off camber situations where gray tank may be close to full and things be splishing and splashing :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Is it possible with airbags to design a sway bar disconnect with pins we could pull off road? I have used this before but only on front spring setups.

Absolutely! This is most definitely doable and already available for certain 3500's. Havent done enough cross checking yet to see which ones may fit. But i will, and report back.

I LOVE the sway bar (BIG BARS front and rear) on the pavement. The beast handles REALLY nice.
"Drove home with it disconnected" WOW! Sketchy is right!
CHEERS!!

Agree 100%

But yeah, when i blew a bag in death valley it was because of those stupid heim join sway bar links i put on. So yeah, was a sketchy drive home and a lesson learned.

Front end is getting closer and closer to being dialed

NVLOC

Observer
Yep. Guideines for those are as small as possible and as few as possible. Easy for me to say as I like doing most things outside. When inside it's to have protection from the weather (that would as a result cold, wet, snow, sleet, etc) - so the smallest AT window is ample.

Fairly easy to make an insulated insert that would fit between the shade and window - add it to my list.

simple

Adventurer
Interesting to see the relative temperature difference between the two surfaces. What was the internal temp and outside ambient temp?

I guess "well insulated" window is a bit of an oxymoron. I would expect a double pane acrylic to have almost double the R value of single pane glass so it would be relatively well insulated by comparison. Tern windows and standard RV windows both have black painted aluminum frames so there would be a fair amount of heat loss there.

What are some of the claims people have been making regarding Tern windows?

When you get a chance, it would be cool to see the thermal image from the inside on a hot day with the shades pulled down.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
What are some of the claims people have been making regarding Tern windows?

When you get a chance, it would be cool to see the thermal image from the inside on a hot day with the shades pulled down.

Basically just claims that they were well insulated. I don’t feel they are.

That’s on a warm day and the shade is down. I said up, but they’re installed upside down, on purpose.

To clarify; that is with the shade part in place for maximum insulation

danneskjold

That’s on a warm day and the shade is down. I said up, but they’re installed upside down, on purpose.

Maybe “well insulated for RV windows” would be a better description.

I know if it’s real warm and sunny out the Tern shades will be hot to the touch - I’ve thought about cutting up some reflectix and throwing it in between the shade and window to hopefully cut down on some of the heat transfer.

That all being said, I have two AT windows and don’t regret them at all.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Maybe “well insulated for RV windows” would be a better description.

I know if it’s real warm and sunny out the Tern shades will be hot to the touch - I’ve thought about cutting up some reflectix and throwing it in between the shade and window to hopefully cut down on some of the heat transfer.

That all being said, I have two AT windows and don’t regret them at all.

Yeah.

Agree 100%

I checked out all others and felt, and still feel, they are the best option, for what I want In a window, just not the best insulation

I’m just being 100% transparent about everything in the build

simple

Adventurer

Gotcha. I was thinking the pic was from the outside and you had the heater cranked. LOL We had a high of 41F today.

Alloy

I ordered a few of those early on to test when i was brainstorm the sink initially.

VERY low quality and cheesy seeming. Could they work? Possibly..

i just chose another route based on my scientific guesstimation... LOL

Also, and a bit extra, i am also hoping said one way valve helps in off camber situations where gray tank may be close to full and things be splishing and splashing :)

For the number of times it gets used instead of the trap use a rubber or silicone plug/stopper.

You could also look at "test plugs". The ones I use when plumbing are inflatable but I've seen some screw types with a recessed wing nut.

Last edited:

180out

Yeah.

Agree 100%

I checked out all others and felt, and still feel, they are the best option, for what I want In a window, just not the best insulation

I’m just being 100% transparent about everything in the build
mirrored window tint was my solution. several benefits!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat