2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

tacollie

Glamper
Cheaper beer? Is there a generic brand hot pocket? Downsize to 37s?

Didn't you say you were getting 15mpg? The mpg difference between the Tundra and RAM should make up bit of the higher fuel cost?.

I said has to hit $5.50 before I drive slower. I'm still in the left lane?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Cheaper beer? Is there a generic brand hot pocket? Downsize to 37s?

Didn't you say you were getting 15mpg? The mpg difference between the Tundra and RAM should make up bit of the higher fuel cost?.

I said has to hit $5.50 before I drive slower. I'm still in the left lane?

Hahahaha…. I was…

100% fully loaded up and such and in at 10-11mpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I doubt you are so poor that you are grounded by necessity. Spend the money! Fuel would still be a minor cost of owning and driving your rig... maybe 25%. That's if you never pay for camping.

Last trip up there was 11,200 miles.

11mpg = 1080 gallons of diesel

$5.50 a gallon = looking at close to $6k in fuel only..

Last trip up there’s total fuel tally was just over $3k

Alternative route options are now being researched :)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Anyone else doing a project like this deflated of motivation because of the fuel prices?
Yup, I was ahead of the power curve and added a Gladiator last year not as a replacement for the C4500, but as a supplement. While the Gladiator is not great at 16-17mpg, it beats the heck out of the C4500's 9-10mpg. And thankfully both are gas, diesel is crazy!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Yup, I was ahead of the power curve and added a Gladiator last year not as a replacement for the C4500, but as a supplement. While the Gladiator is not great at 16-17mpg, it beats the heck out of the C4500's 9-10mpg. And thankfully both are gas, diesel is crazy!

$6.59 here in San Diego right now ??‍♂️

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Last trip up there was 11,200 miles.

11mpg = 1080 gallons of diesel

$5.50 a gallon = looking at close to $6k in fuel only..

Last trip up there’s total fuel tally was just over $3k

Alternative route options are now being researched :)

So I should start looking for the best tacos in a 200mi radius?
You have a free "RV" pad here amigo. The view isn't three-quarters bad, trust me.

simple

Adventurer
Anyone else doing a project like this deflated of motivation because of the fuel prices?

I started this it was around $3.50 or so for diesel. Now its basically doubled here.

The entire purpose of this rig was my annual Canada / Alaska trip (with some local ones as well).

Now that the rig is done enough to use for long term trips, i was to start heading north in September.

But with diesel at $6+ i dont think its going to happen this year, AGAIN!

Anyone else in this boat?

How much time would you take for a trip like this? If you're going for a few months, the average weekly fuel bill might not be as daunting.

Last edited:

tmacc

"How many summers do you have left?" I read that recently. We've put off the AK trip for two summers. We're not look forward to the fuel expense, but we're going.
I've enjoyed your build thread a lot. I'd love to do it myself. However, it will take too much time away from our travel plans. My wife said go ahead, I'll let you know where the dog and I are every now and then.? (Condensed for brevity)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well…. After more back and forth than @mk216v trying to make a tire decision. I finally finalized my under bed storage boxes and the order is in process.

Did a long single box for the drivers side and a 2 compartment box for the passenger side.

Reasoning is, bigger, bulkier stuff that’s not often used can be stuffed on the drivers side and the more frequently used items can be packed neater on the passenger side since that’s where I spent most of the time at camp anyway.

Drawing doesn’t show the divider between the 2 compartments on the dual door unit, but it’ll be there.

Stoked

737D3E87-3E00-4BC0-9C3E-92B436D3EB80.jpeg

Last edited:

StenchRV

Well…. After more back and forth than @mk216v trying to make a tire decision. I finally finalized my under bed storage boxes and the order is in process.

Did a long single box for the drivers side and a 2 compartment box for the passenger side.

Reasoning is, bigger, bulkier stuff that’s not often used can be stuff on the drivers side and the more frequently used items can be packed neater on the passenger side since that’s where I spent most of the time at camp anyway.

Drawing doesn’t show the divider between the 2 compartments on the dual door unit, but it’ll be there.

Stoked

View attachment 725454

DUDE!! You are killing me!

SWEET!! I am in the box planning process. LOTS of other stuff going on now....LOL

CHEERS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl