245/75-16 or 265/75-16 on 3rd Gen 4Runner?

p nut

butter
Thanks for all the great input! I'm still not decided, but I need to get some tires by the end of the month.

Honestly, for your uses, either would do. But in my opinion, you should just stick to stock size tires. BFG KO's or if you want cheaper, Yokohama ATS. There just isn't any benefit of going 265/75/16's for you--only negatives.

Caduceus

Adventurer
I guess I don't understand your post. I never said there was a big difference in mpg. Merely said people may notice a difference. In my case, that wasn't so.

You implied that part of the noted mpg gain was a difference in tire size. It might be, for certain size combinations.

Either way, not really worth arguing all that much about - it really matters the starting and ending tire sizes, which may or may not be a big difference.

I'm OK dropping this if you are!

OkieRunner

Man I would go with AT LEAST a 265/75/16 if you plan on lifting 2", but I'm a big tire fan, I love the cushier ride and grip offroad. I don't think C-D-E makes much difference on ride quality, I've run them all and didn't notice a difference. All squat fine when aired down. Here are a few pics of my setup with different tires:

stock 265/70/16:

IMG_6807-1.jpg

265/75/16 Falken Wild Peak, no lift:

001-2.jpg

Same tires with 2" lift:

008-1.jpg

Same 2" lift with 285/75/16 Yokohama Geolandar ATS (my favorite tires) loaded pretty heavy in the rear for light duty springs:

335.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77