255/85/16's on 3rd gen 4Runners and 1st Gen Tacomas

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I dont' think there is a dedicated thread for 255's mount on 3rd gen Runners and 1st gen Tacos but it may help other see what they are missing or something else. I'm in the shopping for tires mode as mine will be worn out in a month or two. Post them up please.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Now just determining which 255 to go with. I like my Niito's and therefore think an AT or similar would be ideal. I feel a MT might be to aggresive for daily driving, so that leaves me with the Cooper ST's which according to a local shop near work I can get for $120 ea. Now I don't need tires just yet but feel the price may be a typo and might have to purchase them sooner than later.

A

bomar

Adventurer
I was in the same boat but I stepped up to 17's and went with a 285/75/17 Nitto on my 2nd gen with FJC steelies. So about a 34/11

IMG_0904.jpg

:smiley_drive:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
You won't get off that easy I need front and rear shots too. The best looking shots might be from the side and angle but the true size should be represented by front an rear shots.

austintaco

Explorer
Now just determining which 255 to go with. I like my Niito's and therefore think an AT or similar would be ideal. I feel a MT might be to aggresive for daily driving, so that leaves me with the Cooper ST's which according to a local shop near work I can get for $120 ea. Now I don't need tires just yet but feel the price may be a typo and might have to purchase them sooner than later.

A

I bought the Coopers on Ebay a few months back. There was a shop online that dealt with blems that had several sets for $425 with shipping. They had a few thousand sales and a near perfect rate, so I bought some.

I have been very pleased with them. I had some balancing issues, but that was a problem with the tire shop not the tires. I do feel the difference between thesed and the 265/75/16 nitto terra grapplers that I had. When I watch my MPG with my scan gauge, the city driving kills me, but the hwy is about the same.

Like you, if Nitto made a 255, I would be all over it, and I didn't want a full mud terrain. The coopers are considered by some to be somewhere between an all terrain and a mud terrain. Perfect for me.

336wheeler

Observer
I too hoped that there would be an AT that was worth anything available in a 255, and the Cooper STT was just too narrow for my liking (aesthetically), so I went with the KM2s. They drive well on the highway, although you will notice a slight loss in cornering with that much of a narrower tire than a 295. However, this has not changed my opinion on the 255 size, and they seem to work well in most everything I've put them through.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I believe you are referring to the Cooper S/T in 255/85, not the STT which is a different tire and not available in 255/85.

Though I like the tire, I understand and agree with your comments, the Cooper S/T (particularly in 255/85) has a very narrow tread area and a sharply tapered shoulder that makes me concerned about the sidewalls when running low pressures.

I too hoped that there would be an AT that was worth anything available in a 255, and the Cooper STT was just too narrow for my liking (aesthetically), so I went with the KM2s. They drive well on the highway, although you will notice a slight loss in cornering with that much of a narrower tire than a 295. However, this has not changed my opinion on the 255 size, and they seem to work well in most everything I've put them through.

Adventurer
255/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on Toyota Tundra steelies.

I love the tires so far. Even in the snow. :wings:

IMG_3883.jpg

336wheeler

Observer
Yes, the Cooper ST is the tire I was referring to.

I believe you are referring to the Cooper S/T in 255/85, not the STT which is a different tire and not available in 255/85.

Though I like the tire, I understand and agree with your comments, the Cooper S/T (particularly in 255/85) has a very narrow tread area and a sharply tapered shoulder that makes me concerned about the sidewalls when running low pressures.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I run BFG KM2s in the 255/85/R16. It was very muddy at the Lone Star Jamboree this weekend, and the truck had no trouble with anything. I have never had a better performing tire on my truck. The tall skinny tires don't care... they just go right through everything. Didn't get any pics this weekend, but there are some from our trip to Kiamichi trail the week before in completed expeditions. If you need better pics, send me a PM and I'll run out and snap some for ya.

I was worried that they would look weird from being so skinny, but this is not the case at all. They look like they belong there, and I am happy with their appearance. Great size, and great tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3