255/85/16's on 3rd gen 4Runners and 1st Gen Tacomas

tacollie

Glamper
I have been very happy with 255/85s. I have had them on 4 different vehicles. They are a great size and do great on and off road. My favorite set were the BFG KMs with the center lug siped but that is a thing of the past. I am not overly impressed with my coopers. They are good at almost everything but aren't great at any thing. They are loud and don't do well on wet pavement.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
No good on wet roads huh! Well crap they are out of my selection, how do the km2's do on wet and everything else. I might just have to stick with my 295's:(

A

tacollie

Glamper
You may be better off do to the weight of your truck. Mine is light in the rear end.

I am going to fool around with the pressure and see if that helps.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
I am at 35 psi on 7in. wide rims. I am going down to 32 and then maybe 30 but no lower. Redline is running 35 with good results on a heavier vehicle. Maybe give him a try.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Actually I often run 31-32, and have run 30-psi. I usually keep mine around 30-32 to keep the tire pressure warning light OFF :)

I am at 35 psi on 7in. wide rims. I am going down to 32 and then maybe 30 but no lower. Redline is running 35 with good results on a heavier vehicle. Maybe give him a try.

SilverBullet

Explorer
okay, so can I see some pictures of these tires mounted on the vehicle? I am really perking my ears and prepping my wallet for a tire purchase.

A Sonoran Steel 1.2 is coming soon for my 98 4Runner and I am debating a 1.5" BL depending on tire need. I really want to run 35's, but the firewall modification is not to my liking since important things are back there like wires, mounts, and such... so this my be plan B.

Can someone please post pics and stats of what lift they are running? Thanks.

juicebox

Adventurer
okay, so can I see some pictures of these tires mounted on the vehicle? I am really perking my ears and prepping my wallet for a tire purchase.

A Sonoran Steel 1.2 is coming soon for my 98 4Runner and I am debating a 1.5" BL depending on tire need. I really want to run 35's, but the firewall modification is not to my liking since important things are back there like wires, mounts, and such... so this my be plan B.

If you really want to run 35's you should get the 35x10.50r15 or 35x10.50r16, that size is only made in 1 or 2 tires, but it's an awesome size and should fit your body lift/suspension combo without doing more than the pinchweld.

I was in the same boat but I stepped up to 17's and went with a 285/75/17 Nitto on my 2nd gen with FJC steelies. So about a 34/11

IMG_0904.jpg

:smiley_drive:

Bomar? This is you?! You passed me back in early November before breaking off left into some shopping center. I was down in MS at the time, maybe in the Clarksdale area, northbound toward the Helena bridge.

I was in my white Taco... I remember my g/f saying, "Whoa, check out that 4runner with the snorkel! Must be the only one in Mississippi."

Small world.

shawkins

Adventurer

255/85's bone stock:

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

austintaco

Explorer

P5220871.jpg

I have tundra coils with a sonoran top spacer up front and All Pro 3" springs on back.
Here's the problem you first run into:
P5220872.jpg

It doesn't cause problems with a light load, but the springs are made for flex and when I loaded up for my last trip that's what they did. Flexed down so that the tire rubbed on the rear wheel well.
I am going to relocate the axle forward and try the zuk coil mod,timbrens, or adding a leaf to the spring pack.

SilverBullet

Explorer
thanks for the pictueres... I think the 285 are the route I am going since the refund is a bit smaller than expected. I need to own a home again... Anyway, SS1.2 is funded (will purchase when the money is received) and that will have to be it for a while. The BL and other gizmos are goign to have to wait.

bomar

Adventurer
Bomar? This is you?! You passed me back in early November before breaking off left into some shopping center. I was down in MS at the time, maybe in the Clarksdale area, northbound toward the Helena bridge.

I was in my white Taco... I remember my g/f saying, "Whoa, check out that 4runner with the snorkel! Must be the only one in Mississippi."

Small world.

Yeap. I was probably making sales calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl