2M Antenna Recommendations?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Good catch OM. The typical J-pole like found in the ARRL antenna book exhibits about 1.5dB of gain over a 1/4λ GP vertical, so should be about 6.7dBi in theory. Over an imperfect ground a 1/4λ mobile will usually be ~3dBi and so I suspect the 4dB is a realistic number.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Hello All,

Just ordered a Yeasu FT-2900R and now am looking at my antenna set up. I plan to mount this antenna on the upper bar antenna mount 5/8th hole of my ARB bumper (80 series LC).

For the antenna I have been looking at a Comet SBB-25.

Now I'm a bit lost on the bite in-between (mount and cable). Any recommendations with the 5/8th mounting hole I have available?

I'm planing on getting a 1/4 wave antenna for around town low power use as well.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Expedition Leader
Hello All,

Just ordered a Yeasu FT-2900R

Great trail radio; I have two of it's predecessor, the 2800.

... and now am looking at my antenna set up. I plan to mount this antenna on the upper bar antenna mount 5/8th hole of my ARB bumper (80 series LC).

For the antenna I have been looking at a Comet SBB-25.

Now I'm a bit lost on the bite in-between (mount and cable). Any recommendations with the 5/8th mounting hole I have available?

Not for sure what you are asking. You will need 50-ohm coax with a PL-259 connector on the radio end to go between the antenna and the radio. There are a number of different kinds of mounts for antennas, but if you're going to be swapping-out two or more different antennas then I recommend an NMO mount because they are fast and easy to switch, without tools. But, to use an NMO mount you will need a 3/4" hole, so you would need to drill-out the hole in your ARB bumper.

I'm planing on getting a 1/4 wave antenna for around town low power use as well.

Before you spend too much money on antennas, make sure that your ARB bumper will provide enough ground plane for a 5/8-wave or 1/4-wave antenna, both of which need a decent ground plane to tune up well. Many bumpers do not have enough ground plane, but the ARB has enough metal surface area that it might. You'll also get some ground plane off of your hood. You'll need to install an antenna and then check the SWR with a good analyzer to find out for sure. If you can't get acceptable SWR and everything else is good, then you will need to go with a 1/2-wave antenna, which is much more forgiving of ground plane.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Great trail radio; I have two of it's predecessor, the 2800.

Not for sure what you are asking. You will need 50-ohm coax with a PL-259 connector on the radio end to go between the antenna and the radio. There are a number of different kinds of mounts for antennas, but if you're going to be swapping-out two or more different antennas then I recommend an NMO mount because they are fast and easy to switch, without tools. But, to use an NMO mount you will need a 3/4" hole, so you would need to drill-out the hole in your ARB bumper.

Before you spend too much money on antennas, make sure that your ARB bumper will provide enough ground plane for a 5/8-wave or 1/4-wave antenna, both of which need a decent ground plane to tune up well. Many bumpers do not have enough ground plane, but the ARB has enough metal surface area that it might. You'll also get some ground plane off of your hood. You'll need to install an antenna and then check the SWR with a good analyzer to find out for sure. If you can't get acceptable SWR and everything else is good, then you will need to go with a 1/2-wave antenna, which is much more forgiving of ground plane.

Thanks for the feed back, I am looking forward to getting it set-up (next challenge is mounting the monster).

I will look at NMO mounts I have used them in the past with good results also like the ability to put a cap on them when not in use.

My mounting location is less than ideal I know but all I have besides the rear bumper and in that location I would think is worse than the front, no chance of utilising the hood ground plane there though.

Looks like I can get a Larsen NMO 150B HW with it being 1/2 wave and my less than ideal mounting location would this be the best way to go?

Expedition Leader
Looks like I can get a Larsen NMO 150B HW with it being 1/2 wave and my less than ideal mounting location would this be the best way to go?

Well, you would know ahead of time that it would tune-up for sure. I'm using that exact antenna on the rear spare tire mount of my FJ40 and it works great for me.

Can you return the Comet SBB-25 if it doesn't tune up? I'm not trying to talk you out of using it; just warning you that it might not be ideal at that location.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Well, you would know ahead of time that it would tune-up for sure. I'm using that exact antenna on the rear spare tire mount of my FJ40 and it works great for me.

Can you return the Comet SBB-25 if it doesn't tune up? I'm not trying to talk you out of using it; just warning you that it might not be ideal at that location.

I can not unfortunantly, but in thinking about it more I like the idea of a NMO mount, I really am only going to use it on trips not daily so I can just put a weather cap over it when not in use, no worried with low garages then. Plus the replacement cost of a mast is cheap with those if it breaks off.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The N-mount style that comes on your antenna will work fine with this cable
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/5719.html

It comes with the mount installed, which is made for a 5/8" hole... The SBB-25 is a great antenna for that location because they're pretty ground neutral. I would still meter it to make sure you're getting a low SWR, but it should be fine. I would be wary of putting other antennas that aren't tuned for the mount and require better ground planes.

The only thing that concerns me about that antenna is the Comet's tend to have masts that are more stout than others, and having it in a location where it can find branches or other trail hazards could cause it to bend. They're not as forgiving as whip antennas, but they solve problems that are inherent to whips, such as ground plane issues.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I put a Comet SS-680SB on my ARB bumper, with the PL-259 mount it fit very nicely. I like that this antenna has a spring on it in case a branch gets ahold of it on the trail. It is a 1/2 meter antenna so ground plane isn't an issue there.

I thought it might be distracting there but it is quite unobtrusive.
8091026042_6c8f75e1f0_k.jpg

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
The N-mount style that comes on your antenna will work fine with this cable
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/5719.html

It comes with the mount installed, which is made for a 5/8" hole... The SBB-25 is a great antenna for that location because they're pretty ground neutral. I would still meter it to make sure you're getting a low SWR, but it should be fine. I would be wary of putting other antennas that aren't tuned for the mount and require better ground planes.

The only thing that concerns me about that antenna is the Comet's tend to have masts that are more stout than others, and having it in a location where it can find branches or other trail hazards could cause it to bend. They're not as forgiving as whip antennas, but they solve problems that are inherent to whips, such as ground plane issues.

I just ordered this set-up, a friend has the same on his Tacoma ARB and has been very happy with it. Look forward to getting it in and working.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I just ordered this set-up, a friend has the same on his Tacoma ARB and has been very happy with it. Look forward to getting it in and working.

I think you'll like it a lot! Still highly recommend metering with an SWR meter to be sure! You can always install a braided ground strap from the base of the mount to the body of the vehicle if you need to.

car-car

Observer

Just to clarify, you are going with the Comet SBB-25 antenna, correct? And which mount style for your ARB bull bar? Are you drilling out for a NMO mount, or just going with a PL--259? It looks like I am following you in your setup, so just curious to see how you are doing it.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl