2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

SRN

Adventurer
I saw some really nice builds here, and would like to share mine as well. I like how it rides on road with the HBMC so the build is trying to maintain that system as much as possible. All my previous research indicates that QX80 is a Y62 Patrol underneath, so I planned my build with the availability of Y62 mods in mind. However, there are quite a lot subtle differences (in suspension geometry and parts) between QX80 and Patrol. I learnt this the hard way when trying to fit the Y62 mods I purchased from Australia and China.

2015 Infiniti QX80 (with HBMC)
  • Front 2" lifted OnTrack Y62 Patrol lower control arm (to maintain front HBMC shock)
  • Front RoughCountry Titan upper control arm (Y62 patrol arms will NOT fit)
  • Rear ToughDog Y62 patrol 2" lifted coil spring
  • Rear Y62 Patrol OEM HBMC shock absorber (deletes factory air suspension in exchange for greater travel)
  • 18" Titan Pro-4X wheels with grey powder coating
  • BFGoodrich KO2 tires
  • CY Offroad Y62 Patrol steel sear bumper with swing out
  • Front Y62 Patrol predator bar (aluminum facia)
  • Front Y62 Patrol cross member (welded onto frame for mounting predator bar)
  • Redarc BCDC1225 charger
  • 4x20AH AGM battery in trunk compartment
  • Custom drawer system 60:40 split units (removable to use third row seats)
  • DFG offroad tiled fridge slide
  • Dometic CFX50 fridge
View attachment 580242

View attachment 580243
What did you have to do to get the rear bumper to fit? I was under the impression that the Armada/QX with out huge tow bar couldn't fit the Patrol bumpers?

leeleatherwood

So I haven't updated this thread in a while, life is really busy and I have been having fun this summer.

I towed my RV to Virginia Beach and back to see family, was gone for almost 3 months. The RV weighs ~8500 empty and I have at least 1000lbs of stuff in it. The QX pulls it great and has outstanding brakes and good engine braking. The transmission will hold whatever gear you put it in.

In Virginia I switched rear coil springs to Moog 81085's because I got tired of waiting for the Dobinsons. In my opinion, the Moog 81085's are a required modification. The ride is so much better because none of the load is being supported by the airbags. It is an immediate and apparent upgrade, no more side-to-sides sway and no more rear end "wallowing" feeling. I am happy to have my normal driving weight now supported by springs instead of air, I do not have the airbags inflated anymore while normal driving and only use the airbags when towing.

Speaking of airbags, since I changed the coil springs and didn't want to try to remove the Firestone bags from the old coils, instead I bought AirLift brand bags. They are the 1000HD model for a Ram 1500. I went with these because the dimensions are in spec to use with our vehicles and also the material is thicker, they also include a spacer plate to protect the nipple (I 3D printed a spacer for the Firestones). Once I received the kit I was immediately impressed by the better overall quality than the firestone kit. https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818hd/

On the way back from Virginia I stopped in Ouray Colorado and did Imogene pass, very easy no issues at all. Nice and comfy too. I didn't have time to do Black Bear pass or any other trails because I had to work. After Ouray I stopped in Moab and hit a few trails by myself but didn't do any overly difficult obstacles because I was by myself. Also it was Monsoon season so it rained most days which made it sketchy in some places but still exciting. In the end, the views at Moab were outstanding as usual.

When I got back home to CA, I found the Dobinson springs on my doorstep. :ROFLMAO:

I did not have a single hickup or issue towing such a heavy trailer, the engine and transmission never skipped a beat, not even up the "Ike Gauntlet" in Colorado. This makes sense because its the same Engine and Transmission they use in the TitanXD anyways, which is rated for ~12,000lbs IIRC. Also, this trip was during the summer during a very large heat wave, it was 110+ in some spots of Utah and Nevada and we made it up every pass without any hints of overheating.

Anyways, I am sure I am forgetting some stuff but I will attach some pics.

Last edited:

leeleatherwood

Moog 81085 vs OEM. Moog has more coils and I think slightly thicker too.

Seen the Battleship Wisconsin in Norfolk VA

I dont remember where this was at, Indiana maybe?

Stopped by the Arch, very cool

I think this was a Veil Colorado, basically near the end of the "Ike Guantlet"

Ouray, awesome town.

leeleatherwood

b4ieuLMl.png

Ocdfisher

I have an 18 armada that I want to lift up aboUT 1 to skate. 5 inches and stiffen up the ride a little. Did the moog rear coils provide any lift over the stock springs? Also , I was thinking of some adjustable bilstein coil overs up front. You are one of a few that has dove deep on these trucks and would appreciate your input.

leeleatherwood

I have an 18 armada that I want to lift up aboUT 1 to skate. 5 inches and stiffen up the ride a little. Did the moog rear coils provide any lift over the stock springs? Also , I was thinking of some adjustable bilstein coil overs up front. You are one of a few that has dove deep on these trucks and would appreciate your input.

Hello, what are your intentions and use cases for the lift?

Ocdfisher

Sorry for that jumbled mess of a post.
The truck is a daily driver. We explore gravel, rock, dirt roads when camping. Nothing crazy, no crawling dry river beds and such. Going to up the tire size about an inch with maybe 9 inch wheels and don't really want the vehicle to get more floaty. I do tow my boat, about 3500 lbs, occasionally.
Looking at titan shocks up front and small lift with springs in the back. I'll probably keep the airbags for a while.
Thanks

leeleatherwood

If you are only increasing tire size by an inch, that would be 34's (stock tires are around 33"), you might as well get 35's imo, they are more common tire size.

Anyways, for 35's I would do like you are planning, titan coilovers up front and the moog springs in the rear, airbags too since you are towing. The moog springs have much better springrate, they are not floaty but also not overly stiff, feel great.

Ocdfisher

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the moog rear springs will give me an inch or so of lift? Probably going to just get bilstein 5100s on the front with stock springs.

leeleatherwood

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the moog rear springs will give me an inch or so of lift? Probably going to just get bilstein 5100s on the front with stock springs.

Yeah, the Moog springs will give about 1.5" lift. For the front, are you going to get the Adjustable bilsteins?

leeleatherwood

Ok mate your my Fing hero..... I have soooooo many questions for you I don't know where to start. I hunted and united and hunted for clearance measurements on my breaks and calipers to find out how small a rim I could go with. I finally decided that stock 20s where as small as I could go so I matched the best sized ko2's I could to them and called it a day with great sadness I resigned myself to "I guess no mater how much I want this to be a patrol its not gonna happen" . But the biggest most important upgrade i could think of was the tires. So you got 17's on without any mods to the stock disk or calipers? That means I can go find some steel beadlocks for a reasonable price and then match my outside rolling diameter? Have you done any electrical work adding a secondary battery? If so where. Have you started on your cabinetry yet? I have some designs I have put together in 80/20 I can share with you. To many questions to count.

17" Steel wheels probably wont work. Infact many 17" Aluminum wheels wont work either. It really just depends on the design of the wheel.
In regards to steel wheel designs specifically, they generally have less internal clearance than aluminum wheels.

Honestly, 20" wheels with 37" tires is still plenty of sidewall thickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger