2nd Gen Montero buying advice

Fangio

I have started the hunt for a 2nd gen Montero and had a couple questions.

I found an SR but it looks to be in a little bit worse shape then the other non SRs that I have found. Is the SR worth the additional maintenance and work ? The SR has 168k miles, if it has been maintained properly is this a concern? At what point am I looking at an engine and trans rebuild? Doing the rebuilds or swaps wouldn't bother me I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with a big bill in the near future. Also is there an easy way to test that the rear locker is working?

red87

Adventurer
Testing the locker is easy enough. Find a dirt lot (really don't do it on pavement) and engage 4wd and the locker. Then turn a pretty tight corner and listen for the inside rear tire scuffing. If it scuffs, you're locked. If not, you've got a problem somewhere.

Raff

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm looking at a '96 SR and I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for. I've bought a 80 series Cruiser using the Slee Offroad Beginners Guide, but with the Mitsubishi I'm not sure to be aware of. Is there any sort of comparable guide for buying GenII Montero's?

mike5

Adventurer
I'll tell you exactly what to look for: service records. Couple of items to specifically look for:

1. Brakes (specially front) as it can be costly to do rotors and pads
2. Lower plenum (the part alone is 400)
3. Spark plugs
4. Plug wires
5. Injector replacement or service
6. Coil replacement
7. Timing belt
8. Main cooling fan
9. Changing of fluids at regular intervals (all diffs and tranny)

Also check to make sure the sunroof works fine.

I'm sure there is more. But as long as the plenum and ignition/fuel system has been serviced, then it is work buying. Otherwise, an SR (in my opinion) is worth 1.5K or less. Also, keep in mind tires are expensive, so you want some good tires or priced accordingly.

mike5

Adventurer
I could probably find one in SoCal depending on what you want to spend and home patient you are.

Raff

Thanks for the words of advice. There's a '96 SR here locally with 143K on the clock that seems to be in very good condition. Seller's asking $2,800, but if I can get them down to just below $2k I think I'll pull the trigger.

Raff

Response from seller: "replaced the lower plenum,timing belts ,plugs,wires within the last 4 years. Differential engages. The brakes were new last year. "

Think I'm going to do it. What would be your max price? Body, interior, are in good condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach