2wd - camper/mtb race build

hammerhome

Observer
So I posted a pic a few days ago, and now I might as well start a build thread.

I bought this van about a year ago.
rytuzage.jpg

And I've been slowly adding things to it, and mulling over what I want it to end up like. After reading so many threads here and in another forum a lot of ideas start to fill your head.

My main priority is to build a somewhat simple camper that has the capabilities that I experienced in my previous Westfalia vans. The van has high mileage, around 175k miles on a 5.4, but it was a phone utility vehicle in a previous life and has had an extensive repair and maintenance history. With that said I feel good about its overall dependability but I am aware that at some point in the future it could need an engine or trans rebuilt.

The first additions were bushwhacker flares and wheel spacers. As well as a scan gauge
gudeqa8a.jpg

3ygeqe4a.jpg

Then the brakes were getting tired so I stopped into quadvan and had a brand new 2014 front end from one of their vans put under it. It needed some rear end work and came out with an eaton rear diff and a 2" lift.
de2egada.jpg

Next the lift was looking a little weird with stock tires, and after coming back from a race weekend rusty old rims had left me with a flat tire. Off to the tire shop and she got some new shoes.
ygypa6yp.jpg
3a8y8ege.jpg
upanabez.jpg

Add in a little maintenance work and a broken collarbone and here we are today with the next round of work getting ready to start.

I can't really work on it right now(collarbone) but I can plan and scheme. I picked up some used Winnebago Rialta seats that fold flat into a bed.
ynagybu6.jpg

They need some cutting and welding to get to the right height and then I'll install them. Of course this means it's time to get a welder. :) the welder will also give me the ability to make some custom bumpers. I'll be doing something in the back that utilizes hinges for a spare tire hinging on the drivers side and my kuat bike rack hinging off the right. Ease of entry to the back is the priority with durability.

Woodworking and home remodeling used to be my trade so I have the skills and materials to outfit the inside. Now if this clavicle will just heal up I'll be back at it.

Till next time.

HH

Randall Dee

Huge Member
I'm in NE PDX. Looks like we're in the same town. The front end on your van looks good. Looks brand new. Wheels and tires look nice as well. I stopped in to meet John at QV a couple of weeks ago. He let me test drive one of the conversions. I just picked up a van over in Bend last week. I gotta try to get some pics up as well. Speedy recovery on the collarbone.

hammerhome

Observer
Did you install the driver side window? What brand is it?

I did not install the window, it was there when I bought it. It's a ford stock window, I think they just looked at a stock window van hole and cut it in with those measurements. It fits well, and doesn't leak, though it is not indented like it would have been from the factory. It looks right and follows the lines of the van.

hammerhome

Observer
I'm in NE PDX. Looks like we're in the same town. The front end on your van looks good. Looks brand new. Wheels and tires look nice as well. I stopped in to meet John at QV a couple of weeks ago. He let me test drive one of the conversions. I just picked up a van over in Bend last week. I gotta try to get some pics up as well. Speedy recovery on the collarbone.

thank you! yeah were in the same hood, get some pics up so we can all take a look. Got the go ahead to take the sling off when im home, so that meant PCV valve and air filter today :) though the muscles are a bit atrophied :(

Randall Dee

Huge Member
I'm going through the same kind of thing. Rotator cuff surgery 3 weeks ago. Titanium anchors in the bone and reattached tendon. Not much exercise in the last 3 weeks. Think I gained about 5 lbs. Gonna try to get back to the gym tomorrow.

I pulled all my wheels off the van tonight and pulled all the studs out of of the snow tires so that I could run them for a little while until I figure out what new wheels I want. Got the tire part figured out.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I did not install the window, it was there when I bought it. It's a ford stock window, I think they just looked at a stock window van hole and cut it in with those measurements. It fits well, and doesn't leak, though it is not indented like it would have been from the factory. It looks right and follows the lines of the van.

It does look natural. Didn't think you could do that, makes me think I could add a cargo van to my search criteria. Is it just bonded to the steel? Not a big fan of the camper style windows. Could you snap a close up pic of the inside and out when you get a chance?

hammerhome

Observer
It does look natural. Didn't think you could do that, makes me think I could add a cargo van to my search criteria. Is it just bonded to the steel? Not a big fan of the camper style windows. Could you snap a close up pic of the inside and out when you get a chance?

I will, Im going to grab some pictures when I finish installing the window mechanisms. Probably tomorrow.

hammerhome

Observer
Grab Handle

I installed a grab handle today. The complete write up is on another forum about these types of vans, but here are a few pictures of the process. Its a necessity for my wife.

handle1.JPG

handle12.JPG

handle17.JPG

It was easy. Some marking, drilling and installing some jack nuts. Now im on the hunt for a driver side handle.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I installed a grab handle today. The complete write up is on another forum about these types of vans, but here are a few pictures of the process. Its a necessity for my wife.

View attachment 226015

It was easy. Some marking, drilling and installing some jack nuts. Now im on the hunt for a driver side handle.

My wife is after me about this exact thing. Can you give up more detail on where the parts came from, or the link to this other forum where the write up is located?

hammerhome

Observer
driver side pop out window

Here are some pictures of the pop out window on the drivers side with the opening mechanisms installed.

It is installed as if it were stock, with the OEM outside seal and trim that the seal sits in. Bolted through at the top and along the sides and bottom.

window8.JPG

Outside view opened.

window12.JPG

Close up of seal.

window13.JPG

There is more info up on the van body section of the sportsmobile forum.

hammerhome

Observer
I brought this eurovan home the other day. I'm going to use the top for my van, and am parting out the rest to recoup some costs.

eqana7y4.jpg

It's been a chore getting all the parts removed to have access to the raw cut measurements of the VW. Now the issue is making the contour of the roof of the ford work with the design of the westfalia top.

ydahemyn.jpg

Issues will be with the feet of the lifting mechanism, the angle and operation of the hinges, the seal of the top onto the ford body, as well as the proper fit of the tent material when it's up.

y7azy9e2.jpg

I'll post more as I figure it out.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Hey, at least now you have something to think about during those long brutal climbs on the bike...good luck.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I brought this eurovan home the other day. I'm going to use the top for my van, and am parting out the rest to recoup some costs.

eqana7y4.jpg

It's been a chore getting all the parts removed to have access to the raw cut measurements of the VW. Now the issue is making the contour of the roof of the ford work with the design of the westfalia top.

ydahemyn.jpg

Issues will be with the feet of the lifting mechanism, the angle and operation of the hinges, the seal of the top onto the ford body, as well as the proper fit of the tent material when it's up.

y7azy9e2.jpg

I'll post more as I figure it out.

Any chance you could post some pics of where the pop top hinges ect attach to the factory VW van?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater