3.4 TRD Supercharger users?

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Anyone on here running the TRD blower on their 3.4?

A raging deal just popped up on one locally and I'm casually considering it. I don't really need the extra power, but....

Any downsides? I don't really care about running 91. Wouldn't be interested in a smaller pulley, 7th injector, any real hot rod stuff. My truck is already twice as fast as it was from the factory so it doesn't need much more.

tonkaman

Adventurer
They are great, and install is easy.

Downside: 1 or 2mpg drop, more heat under hood, noise especially on the freeway in overdrive.

Price is usually the big deterrent, if that's not an issue then buy it.

JLee

Adventurer
I would run the 7th injector as a safety factor -- completely stock they were known for running lean.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Yeah I was always kind of surprised that you could run boost through one of these with zero management or fuel upgrades. I do live at 8000 feet which would negate some of the lean fueling issues (at least driving around here), but I would prefer to run it on the safe side.

So would you guys say the power increase is worthwhile?

dnellans

Adventurer
Drove trucks both with and without - the power increase if you're doing any towing is very noticable at low RPM. at cruising speeds on freeway you don't really need it unless you're mountain pass towing. If its a smoking deal then I'd do it. like prior poster said, it definitely adds some engine noise though

b9ev

Adventurer
They definitely need extra fuel even at altitude, I would run lean at 5500 feet. I had mine on for about 100k miles and it had upgraded injectors along with a piggyback ecu from URD.

Yeah I was always kind of surprised that you could run boost through one of these with zero management or fuel upgrades. I do live at 8000 feet which would negate some of the lean fueling issues (at least driving around here), but I would prefer to run it on the safe side.

So would you guys say the power increase is worthwhile?

mtnkid85

Adventurer
I have been running a bare supercharger setup for a few months now. I was kinda in the same deal, got the supercharger for cheap so I threw it on my truck along with colder plugs and thermostat. I also have a boost gauge along with a wideband o2 gauge.

I say go for it. The only down side is running 91 octane all the time. The passing power on the highway is surely appreciated though.

It will run lean when in closed loop though, elevation won't change that. Like I said Ive been running mine for a few months now and I am going to put a AEM FIC6 piggy back on it to be able to fatten the mixture in closed loop.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys! Starting to sound like the "cheap s/c setup" starts to stray from the "cheap" part in a hurry when you start shopping for the 7th injector setups to compliment it...

JLee

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys! Starting to sound like the "cheap s/c setup" starts to stray from the "cheap" part in a hurry when you start shopping for the 7th injector setups to compliment it...

How cheap is the rest of it? A brand new 7th injector setup is under $900. If the rest was cheap enough, I would definitely consider it.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
He's asking $1600 and I think there's a little wiggle room- it's a first gen with 20k on it supposedly. I'm on the fence, if anyone on here is really interested I can get you the contact info.

AZ4Runner

Observer
1st Gen Charger goes for about 1500 so not a steal. I bought one for 500 once, lol. So a Charger is like a pizza, you need the dough (charger) but then all the toppings (7th kit, Smaller pulley, AFR guage ect) which all ends up costing some major $$$.

Crenshaw

Adventurer

My truck's an '89 that came with a 3.0 which blew up and I swapped a 3.4 into it a few years ago. So, not a hot rod but it's leaps and bounds better than how it came.

1st Gen Charger goes for about 1500 so not a steal. I bought one for 500 once, lol. So a Charger is like a pizza, you need the dough (charger) but then all the toppings (7th kit, Smaller pulley, AFR guage ect) which all ends up costing some major $$$.

Fair enough! I feel like I remember even the first gens going for more like $2200 but obviously that's not the norm. I'm in the middle of turbocharging an old BMW so I'm pretty familiar with how the process ends up nickel and diming you to death. Looks like I'll end up passing on this deal unless the guy's willing to go really low on the price.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

WhiteToyTruck

I currently run a 3.4 5vzfe with a URD Supercharger with a 2.2" Pulley with a 7th injector. Monitoring it with Auto meter Wideband, and Boost gauges. By far the best things I have done. Yeah it costs a lot. But I am never going to get rid of my truck so it wasn't a factor for me. I tuned the URD 7th Injector piggy back to eliminate the lean out.

ec473fea_c8c7_48b3_853f_649bdfaa5bdf_4722933891485c88b0f31bd50deccfb6f0c79c31.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven