3500 RAM Prospector + Alu Cabin + Custom Bed

hdas

A quick note on tires. It seems like when selecting for size, weight, 3PMS and loading rate the 3 best tires are:

BF Goodrich KO2's
General Grabber A/T X's
Toyo Open Country A/T III
I'm specially intrigued by the Toyo offering, it's a E - 10ply load tire at 73lbs!. However I can't find specific reviews of this tire.

1698168315305.png

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A quick note on tires. It seems like when selecting for size, weight, 3PMS and loading rate the 3 best tires are:

BF Goodrich KO2's
General Grabber A/T X's
Toyo Open Country A/T III
I'm specially intrigued by the Toyo offering, it's a E - 10ply load tire at 73lbs!. However I can't find specific reviews of this tire.

View attachment 802444
I can't recall where you are located. I have 35x11.5 AT3's in load range E on my truck. I can't say I'm terribly impressed with how they handle snow / ice / slick conditions. Not sure if that is an issue for you. I would not buy them again.

For reviews, I believe this tire has been discussed on this site a few times?

hdas

I can't recall where you are located. I have 35x11.5 AT3's in load range E on my truck. I can't say I'm terribly impressed with how they handle snow / ice / slick conditions. Not sure if that is an issue for you. I would not buy them again.
I live in the Vail area. Heavy snow up here. Do you carry a big load in your truck at all times?. I wonder if the combination of tire dimensions, specific snow conditions and load of the truck, render the comparison useless.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I live in the Vail area. Heavy snow up here. Do you carry a big load in your truck at all times?. I wonder if the combination of tire dimensions, specific snow conditions and load of the truck, render the comparison useless.
That is a good point. No. During winter my truck is empty.

Only weight on the back comes from the folding tonneau cover.

So with the weight you'd be carrying, that would change things.

My last truck (same make and model as current truck) same thing, no weight in the back and it did fine with Duratracs. I'm currently looking to add some weight over the axle for this truck. Will look at different tires when these wear out.

Hoping Nokian has Outposts in my size when the time comes. Due to 'shortages' they didn't have them in my size when I was looking last time.

If you might be dealing with snow, check out Nokian. Not sure if they'd have anything in the size you're after though?

phsycle

Adventurer
There are so many variables. I typically stick to the tried and true KO2’s. It’s worked well in my trucks and SUV’s, regardless of cargo weight. I’ve tried A/T’s in Coopers, Michelin, GY, etc. But none that stood out to me.

COAKXterra

The last few days have been relatively quiet, but there are some notable developments to catch up on:

• It seems we've helped a couple fellow EPers with their potty training. Always a high point.
🙌🏼🎉
And I appreciated it.

• We are actively thinking about storage solutions for the back seat. The truck already comes with a plattaform to extend, once the seat is folded upwards.
I’ll share our back seat set-up since we’ve got some similarities, although our dog shares the back seat with our mini human vs cargo.

We initially had the car seat on the 40% behind the driver. Folded up the 60% and down the platform and the dog lived there on a big dog bed. I’d already been a bit frustrated with making it Uber difficult to access the 40% under-seat storage since a car seat was strapped down over it, but we were on a longer day last winter and child was just not having it so my wife wanted to sit in back with our daughter. So we swapped the car seat to the 60 side (thereby only covering up the factory subwoofer as well) and tried the 40 side for the dog with the seat folded up. Unfortunately it wasn’t great for the 130lb pup, so after we were back in town and I had some time I ended up fully removing the 40% seat and factory folding platform and build a shelf with a hatch door to access the under-seat storage. I could have just used the folding one, but wanted something stout and simple, especially to access the under-seat. It was amazing how much more room removing the seat completely gave, and now my wife or mother-in-law or whomever can also ride in the back when desired/needed. Only real downside is that I’d currently have to fully remove the dog shelf to access the under-floor storage on the driver side. But that’s minimal and I keep tools under the shelf in the footwell, which also protects them from being loose objects.

So our typical “go camping” is…
  • 60% seat… child car seat and possibly other passenger in middle. A few extra diapers/wipes stashed between seatback and back of car seat.
  • 60% footwell… childcare bag with clothes, activities, etc etc often a soft-side cooler/snack bag stashed next to it or on the middle seat. Often our jackets may end up loose on top of those.
  • 60% under floor storage… I can’t for the life of me remember. Maybe jumper cables an extension cord for the block heater? I should go look.
  • 40% “seat”… dog. I built a solid back wall to the platform that I am thinking about putting some thin profile storage pockets on. Not quite committed there yet.
  • 40% footwell under dog shelf… 3/8” ratchet set and small craftsman box with random small tools. Other larger tools/recovery gear generally reside in the truck bed.
  • 40% under seat storage… emergency gear (jet boil and some emergency food) and other various items (small sledge, collapsing avalanche shovel, etc)
If we didn’t have the dog, I’d still probably do the 40% seat delete and do something like you’re talking for storage with a shelf like I have but with some cubbies or something.

COAKXterra

A buddy of mine who drives a 2500 in summit has 35” duratracs on his and would never look another direction. Generally not a ton of weight in his bed, just a tonneau.

I’ve also got 35” duratracs but I’ve got a fiberglass shell and probably 150lb of fridge and camping gear in the back. I’ve had pretty good success between Alaska and North Dakota (and the several months we spent in CO last year) and will likely stick with them

Fwiw.

hdas

A buddy of mine who drives a 2500 in summit has 35” duratracs on his and would never look another direction. Generally not a ton of weight in his bed, just a tonneau.

I’ve also got 35” duratracs but I’ve got a fiberglass shell and probably 150lb of fridge and camping gear in the back. I’ve had pretty good success between Alaska and North Dakota (and the several months we spent in CO last year) and will likely stick with them

Fwiw.
Duratracs don't come in 37x12.5 R17

hdas

Ok, a quick update:
  1. In the end we decided against the bed, mostly because it would delay the project quite a bit (August - September). We will travel with the normal rig during 2023 and reassess during next winter. By the time that comes, it appears that Bowen will also have a rear bumper option. Additionally, we would have traveled some and have more ideas for a truly custom interior based on actual needs.
  2. The car is gone to Michigan where it'll get upfitted by AEV. Shipping the car turned out cheaper than me driving it, even without including my time away from work.
  3. There are some end of the year discounts to be have in the camper and accessories.
  4. OK4WD allows you to buy with Klarna on credit 0% interest. Literally free money.
  5. I looked into the Paint Protection Film, but at 8k-10k is a bit too much, perhaps when/if we do the bed, we can install this for the cabin portion.
Regarding Accessories;
  • Still looking for the right Flyfishing Rod Vault.
  • Not decided yet on communication devices. The wife wants a satellite phone. We have a Garmin inReach already, which I use for cycling.
  • Future accessories that didn't make the cut for this cycle: Lights, Rock Sliders, Extra Diesel Tank, Brush Guard.
All in, pretty excited about the project. It seems that we can have the rig completed earlier than anticipated for some winter trips in the dessert. I spent some time biking in Utah, and the scenery is just fantastic, can't wait to bring the family there.

1699554422428.png

hdas

Why bother with an antiquated sat phone when you can have StarLink on your truck and simply use your cell phone via wifi calling?
Its a good question. I guess its about familiarity. Never tried Starlink, but I have use sat phones in the jungles of Colombia and Tanzania. Given that this is a US centric vehicle, you make a good point.

UglyViking

+1 the starlink idea. I guess a large part of it depends on what sort of adventure travel you do. If you're often separated from your vehicle, and in a location where service is close to 0, a sat phone may be the only viable option, but assuming you generally are close enough to your vehicle to get back to make an emergency contact, or have radios to communicate between a person "at camp" at the rig, and out in an emergency, it's probably a non issue.

For what it's worth, all my adventure travel happens in the US and CA. I own a starlink for rv travel and have been pleasantly surprised by the performance. Add in a garmin inreach mini 2 for on person emergency and you really have a pretty do it all setup. If my travels took me outside north america, or through parts of mexico with heavy cartel influence, I'd probably feel strongly about carrying a sat phone on my person, but the realistic use cases here, for me, are exceedingly rare especially considering the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner