3rd Gen 4runner Upgrades

Hey everyone,
Currently I am trying to make a decision on where to go with my 4runner next. With a gift of my choice (within reason) coming my way, I have to make a decision. Currently the 1998 Limited has a new 99/bilstein front and OME 906 rear suspension, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's with plenty of tread, rear storage drawers, ARB front bumper and CBI rear.
Some upgrades I could use: sliders, cb radio, possible ipad for nav, roof top tent?

Please let me know if you guys have any opinions, as its a tough choice!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Locker if it hasn't got one and you plan to do that kind of exploring. :sombrero:
My winch does a great job of keeping my front bumper from floating away.

Hey everyone,
Currently I am trying to make a decision on where to go with my 4runner next. With a gift of my choice (within reason) coming my way, I have to make a decision. Currently the 1998 Limited has a new 99/bilstein front and OME 906 rear suspension, 265/75/16 BFG A/T's with plenty of tread, rear storage drawers, ARB front bumper and CBI rear.
Some upgrades I could use: sliders, cb radio, possible ipad for nav, roof top tent?

Please let me know if you guys have any opinions, as its a tough choice!

Clutch

<---Pass
the prices of those items are varying, so tough decision to lean one way or another

I have a CB, but rarely use it, I don't even like using maps...so no on the iPad...could use the sliders and RTT though.
Probably pick the RTT so I would have a more comfortable place to sleep. Most likely either a Columbus or Maggiolina
from Autohome, since they are hardtops, and a bit more aero than the canvas versions, and doesn't look like
a giant pizza box sitting on the roof.

At least that is how my thought process works for picking stuff to throw money at.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you don't have an AT cooler you might want to consider getting one. Your 4runner is getting old enough that the "pink milkshake" AT failure could be an issue. If you have the AT cooler installed so that it completely bypasses the factory in-radiator cooler, that's cheap insurance.

While you're at it you could consider adding an AT temp sensor and a gauge. If your 4runner was 99+ you could do it with a Scangauge but on a 98 that won't work.

Awesome advice everyone. I do have the factory rear locker that works great. I like the idea of a RTT so if you guys have any pros/cons let me know. Sliders and recovery gear would also be a huge benefit.

Clutch

<---Pass
Sliders and recovery gear would also be a huge benefit.

As long as you don't do anything stupid you don't need much recovery gear. I just carry a shovel and that is it, think I use
it more for stirring coals in a fire pit than anything else.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As long as you don't do anything stupid you don't need much recovery gear. I just carry a shovel and that is it, think I use
it more for stirring coals in a fire pit than anything else.

Um, if you aren't using your little shovel at least once a day, you probably need to eat more fiber. ;)

p nut

butter
My personal opinion: I would get sliders first and foremost. Even on my overland travels, they were useful, if for nothing but giving me a solid platform for loading/unloading stuff on the roof. I've hit them several times and they have definitely paid for themselves in the amount of wrinkled body work they prevented. CB could be useful if you always go with a bunch of people who also have CB's. I used to have one, but never used it due to solo outings and majority of the people not interested in setting up CB units. We were perfectly fine with cheapo Moto Walkabout FRS radios. RTT is another thing that I feel looks great on-paper, but for me, just wouldn't be worth the $2k+ price tag nor the issues with high COG, MPG, etc. Either take out the rear seats if they're not being used and sleep inside, or I just like doing the ground tent
Here is a link to the rear seat removal and in-car sleeping set up:
http://mycolorado.org/4runner_camping.html

So basically, I would get sliders, and maybe a proper roof rack like Gobi with some extra fuel cans, then call it good.

slomatt

Adventurer
What do you use the truck for?

If you go offroad on rocky trails then adding sliders is critical. You also might want to consider a stronger gas tank skid plate because the one of the 3rd gen 4runner is thin and easily bent which can leave you with a dent in your gas tank. Another option (after sliders) would be to add a winch.

If you mainly travel on dirt roads (few rocks) with a group then a cb would be an inexpensive upgrade, or consider getting a ham license and a 2m radio for more range. If you often travel with just one truck then investing in navigation and self recovery gear is a good idea, and consider a locator beacon such as a Spot.

- Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3