3rd gen 4Runner vs. Jeep Cherokee XJ

Marcoc

Observer
Looking at selling my 99 Cobra for a trail/expo/weekend toy rig. As far as trails I wont be doing crazy rock crawling but I will "use" it on Ne trails with rock and mud. It wont be daily driven, I may even tow it to further trails, looking to run 33" tires, light armor such as winch bumper, sliders, rear tire carrier, and 3-4" of lift. I have a budget of $10,000 including purchasing vehicle, building it, and any maintenance required. I will be doing 95% of the work on the truck myself. I need 4 doors. Also I'm not new to Jeep I had a TJ Rubicon and my 2010 Tacoma TRD which I sold for a new fullsize truck due to the toyota's limited cargo capacity. Looking for a reliable vehicle and pros and cons for both. Thanks.

98WhiteT4R

Adventurer
You really can't go wrong with either, both sound like they will suit your needs. The 3.4 and 4.0 are both sold motors and should be very reliable. The Jeep will be cheaper to buy aftermarket parts because they are mass produced compared to the 3rd gen 4Runner aftermarket. The XJ will also be cheaper to purchase initially, I've seen low mileage examples for under 5k with the comparable Runner being around 8-9k.

Marcoc

Observer
I had good luck with my my 04 TJ Rubicon other than rust beginning to appear, thats my major worry on an XJ. I have installed 2 lifts on XJ's and its pretty easy other than the rear/upper shock mounts (HELL). I have seen the same thing looks like more aftermarket support for XJ's and cheaper overall to build. The 4Runner looks great lifted and is pretty rare around here modified but they are $$ for a good/clean example, seems like people beat the crap out of most 4Runners compared to the XJ's. I still have my mustang just doing research so I know what direction to go. Damn confusing on what direction to go. I think overall quality/reliability goes to Toyota over Jeep. The 4.0L straight six was a great motor I'm just worried about everything else falling apart on the Jeep LOL! As far as mileage I think max is about 150k miles on the odometer.

Marcoc

Observer
Again I have a new daily driver so the rig would be a weekend trail/expo/camping rig. Mustang as it sits.

Attachments

• COBRA.jpg
    COBRA.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 457

AdidasCJ

Observer
I broke into my own wheeling rig with an 89 4.0 XJ. LOVED it. Parts, support, and community is big. Very capable rig. (cant speak to the level of the toyo support for wheeling). The parts for the XJ are all over the place and fairly cheap. I picked up the XJ for 400.00, put a few dollars at it and was EXTREMELY happy with her. My vote if for the XJ. But im a tad biases...

My old XJ:

My Current ZJ:

F40

Adventurer
Sounds like you're more into wheeling than overlanding. In that case I'd go with an XJ or ZJ.

Marcoc

Observer
Sounds like you're more into wheeling than overlanding. In that case I'd go with an XJ or ZJ.

Um to a degree yes. I've been wheeling for past 12 years off and on. I have toned it down and don't wheel as aggressively as I use to but I'm getting older and realized how expensive the hobby can be. The jeep seems more off road oriented vs the Runner but just as capable. Hard choice. Jeep is cheaper all around but I feel Toyota is better built and more unique.

Marcoc

Observer
I started "overlanding" last year but it's difficult to get away for more than a couple days. I essentially wheel and camp from the truck or sleep inside with my small bulldog. I eventually want to bring my daughter, hence reason for back seat.

cdn_xj

Observer
Um to a degree yes. I've been wheeling for past 12 years off and on. I have toned it down and don't wheel as aggressively as I use to but I'm getting older and realized how expensive the hobby can be. The jeep seems more off road oriented vs the Runner but just as capable. Hard choice. Jeep is cheaper all around but I feel Toyota is better built and more unique.

"Unique" is not what you want in an overlanding vehicle.

Obviously reliability trumps almost all, but replacement parts availability is something that you'll want to consider in the "unlikely" event that you have a breakdown soewhere other than a major metropolitan area.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Toyota are no more reliable than the XJ. XJ has solid axles that are proven, a 4.0l motor that is damn near bulletproof and it will go anywhere.

cdn_xj

Observer
Given the options being discussed here, reliability of one over the other is debatable. There are plenty that would argue the XJ is more reliable over the 'Runner, and just as many that would argue it the other way 'round.

The point is: Both vehicles have been out of production for almost the same amount of time. XJ end of line was 2001, 3rd gen 'Runner was 2003. So suffice it to say, availability of spare parts is not always guaranteed. if you're only going to be overlanding around North America, you *should* be fine with either, maybe a slight edge to the XJ. If your plans include Central or South America then you will want to look into how easily attainable Jeep parts vs Toyota parts are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal