3rd gen 4Runner vs. Jeep Cherokee XJ

Simons

Adventurer
I've owned and wheeled both rigs. I vote 4Runner. My '91 4.0l 5spd XJ was awesome on 33"'s but to fit them I needed a 4" lift, trimmed fenders, and I re-geared my factory 3.08's to 4.10's. My '96 2.7l 5spd 4Runner came from the factory with 4.56's and a rear e-locker, a mild lift clears 255/85r16's and it has no issues pulling 5th gear on the highway. Oh and full sized adults can sit in the back seat.

Last edited:

Marcoc

Observer
As far as overlanding I would say I will start in the Northeast. I can't go out to far not enough time. XJ seems "simpler" but I could be wrong. Are the 4Runners as prone to rust?

Marcoc

Observer
I have had three friends with XJ's of various years, they all had rust. The rear upper shock mounts suck. Can the stock gear ratios on XJ's handle 33's? Is the SYE kit easy to do?

Simons

Adventurer
Yes the floors and rockers rot out on the XJs. A manual transmission comes with 3.08's an auto comes with 3.54's. They'll both "live" with 33"s but you won't like it. I find the brakes are sub par at best and only worsened with larger tires.
Yes the SYE's are fairly straight forward but not necessary at 4.5" lift, but of course if you do install one you'll need a rear D.S. too.

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'd go for whichever yields you the cleanest rig for your money in your area. For some reason, 3rd gen 4Runners are crazy cheap out here. You can get a decent one for 3-4 grand. So, the cost is kind of a wash between the two. I'll be the odd man out here and say that they're both comparable in capability as well. I've got a Taco and have a bunch of 3rd gen buddies. On a basic Toytec coilover/LC rear coil setup, the 4 runners are running 8-9 rated trails out here. So, I'm in agreement with everyone. The XJ is a really cool rig but the 4 Runner is too. As long as you get a quality example, I think you'll be happy with either.

In case you have questions:
http://threeg4runners.freeforums.org/index.php

I've seen plenty of rust underneath 4runners in New England. Especially in the rear. Rear underneath, bumper, tow hitch, etc. Good luck finding a good one.
The newest XJ is 15 years old also though.

Personally if you want an XJ, I would search for an XJ without rust, and do any mechanical repairs required. When I was looking to replace my TJ, I couldn't find a good XJ.
Don't overlook the ZJ/WJ either. Most WJs have been owned by Soccer Moms, and while they are a bit more complex to lift, a 4.0 / Selectrac version is a pretty good vehicle. I picked up my 2004 with 93K on it, no rust, very reasonable $, and it's been awesome. If you're going more rock crawling than Expedition travel, the XJ may be more suited to simplicity and mods though. My WJ is more for camping and Expedition style trips. I use a YJ for wheeling.

Good luck
Pete

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 29

MOguy

Explorer
I would be more worried about rust and wear on a Unibody. The solid axle definitely has its advantages. For a trail vehicle the Jeep, anything else the 4Runner.

Marcoc

Observer
I will shop both rigs once I sell my mustang. I will have to find the cleanest example with the least amount of rust. At the current age of both trucks the undercarriage is expected to have some rust, I will treat it as best as I can. I would rather avoid body rust. The frame/axles/etc I can always touch up with rust bullet treatment.

Tekel

I don't know how far you may want to travel, but I just upgraded to a JKU and will be selling my XJ

I am located in Southern WV.
XJ is a 98 with 115k miles.
3.5" Rubicon express superride with the monotube upgrade
31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler Authority with 3/4 tread
Frame and body are rust free. I purchased it from VA, just outside the saltbelt. When I installed the lift, I only broke a single rear upper shock bolt. Every single other bolt came out as cake.
Lost of maintenance done in the last year.
This vehicle has only seen 1 year of salt winter.

PM me if you want more info.

But of those 2 options, I would go XJ. my BIL has a 97 4runner and regrets the day he got rid of his XJ.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The Toyotas around here rust so bad and quickly that there aren't any early examples left on the roads. However there are a ton of Cherokees, grands, YJ, TJ etc. that tells you something right there.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal