4Door Bronco build

jesus_man

Actually in off road racing triple and quadruple shocks were 80's technology.
Dual shocks were 60's and 70's technology we borrowed from the NASCAR guys. That even included the shocks which were Gabriel or Monroe 3 way adjustable with tie rod end mounting points!

LOL! I stand corrected!

patl

Adventurer
Hey Jesus Man,
Everyone's gotta go with what works for them. If all goes okay will be heading West this fall for extended travels through Colorado, Utah, and eventually Nevada for the Sema show. When we come through your state you can drive it and make up your own mind.

Haven't posted much this past week. Things are progressing at a slower rate due to challenges in modifying an electric window kit for the rear doors. Thomas has finally got it figured out, but it's been frustrating. The frame is being assembled and I will have pictures in a couple of days. Lots of time spent chasing bolt holes to clean out powder coat and ensure no gauling. The rear end is waiting on shock mounts to be welded on, and the Duff longarms are installed in the front. Had the springs coated to match the silver vein of arms and shock hoops. Also about done with dash modifications. This will include Auto meter's Ultra Lite II gauges, and Vintage Air's louvers centered in the dash. I'll post pictures this afternoon.

This week should see the engine mounted and driveline assembly started. Due to the holiday and Krawlers Edge moving to the new shop probably will be a short one. The new facility will be a great move for Thomas' business.

jesus_man

Hey Jesus Man,
Everyone's gotta go with what works for them. If all goes okay will be heading West this fall for extended travels through Colorado, Utah, and eventually Nevada for the Sema show. When we come through your state you can drive it and make up your own mind.
Sure, to each their own. Wasn't trying to be negative nancy, but I like to use the KISS principle.

I would LOVE to see your rig in person, but my family is currently stationed in Germany. However, I am a member of an awesome CO based bronco club and I know several of them would love the chance to drool on your truck!

patl

Adventurer
Here it is. Got the engine, clutch, and trans installed on the chassis and moved into the new shop today. Thomas and his family have been working every night getting the new shop clean and ready. It's really going to be a nice facility.

0702141731b.jpg

0702141731.jpg

0702141731c.jpg

Checked on the body and it's also progressing. The seem sealer is done and all prep for sealer completed. Should be sprayed in the next day or so. Atlas will be installed tomorrow and trans mount completed.

Last edited:

Scoop

Just saw a link to this build on CB - great build! Thomas does excellent work. I like the stretch on this one - shortening the rear door to eliminate the wind wing gives just the right amount of stretch.

So there a 3 of these in the works? Rick's, Thomas' and yours? That will be a sight on the Alaska highway!

Nice job!

patl

Adventurer
Scoop,
So far only 2 are in build stage. Thomas will probably start on his after SEMA this year. Rick is coming down towards the end of this month to get his frame completed and tub ready for paint. The idea is to send his to paint as soon as mine returns. The holdup was the fiberglass top, which should be ready in a couple of weeks. (Fingers crossed). His frame will have a very sophisticated air ride suspension. Thomas would have to explain it.

dash 003.JPG

Here is a picture of my progress on the dash today. Auto Meter Ultra Lite II gauges, offset glove box, and Vintage Air vents in the center of the dash. We'll build a plenum to force air straight into the four vents and hope this will provide enough cooling.
Zf trans makes it impossible to mount under the dash.

Next week should see the Atlas mounted, trans support completed, and drive shafts measured and ordered. Fuel tank and lines will then be run. Should be interesting working in the new shop- if we can find enough tools while everything is being set up.

spot

Looks good Pat,
Hows the trailer coming along?
It looked mostly complete at super cel in April.
Are you by chance going to be at the Expos east?

patl

Adventurer
Trailer is technically ready to go. Just need to weld a couple of tabs for the rear supports when the trailer is uncoupled from rig.
Don't have any info on Expos east- when, where, how many?

jesus_man

Are you planning on a rear support for Atlas? I've heard they can break the rear housing on the trans if there is none.

patl

Adventurer
Talked to Atlas about it- they said it would void the warranty if any support is tied directly to t-case.

jesus_man

That is interesting...

I've had a rear support on mine and done some pretty serious crawling with it. No issues. I used the Roark Mount. I believe there to be better mounts out there now, but as long as you've got some bushings in the design, I doubt you'll have an issue. But I doubt you plan to baja this thing either, so you might not have trouble.

patl

Adventurer
The reason is the flex could somehow work one mount against the other and cause binding on the shafts.

Last edited:

jesus_man

I hear ya! It would make me nervous! Wonder if you could make a cradle from Phenolic plastic or something?? Anything to keep the tail housing of your tranny in tact while not being directly attached to the Atlas. They are much heavier than a stock t-case.

patl

Adventurer
We are looking into possibly an additional support at the back of the trans from the top - but so far nothing is changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater