4Runner better drive quality than Tacoma. Need advice

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Maybe, but it's also the most obvious difference between two otherwise very similar vehicles...

Similar but certainly not the same. When I look at them I cannot tell where they are made, so that to me that is not the most obvious difference. I won't share my opinion on your comparison between Japan and USA. They are obviously not the same wheel base, curb weight, or sprung the same. As mentioned the Tacoma has an empty light bed on the back and most of the weight up front. A pick up on leafs will obviously be stiffer, but add some camping gear and it smooths out. The 4 Runner for obvious reasons should ride better, weight distribution, coils front and rear and fully boxed frame. All of my SUVs have had different smoother rides than my Tundra, but I too like the ride of a pick up.

Last edited:

DaVikes

Adventurer
2 more cents. The weight of the two is about the same, but the weight distribution is more balanced in the SUV. So I'm guessing the front springs are slightly softer than those on the Tacoma. And even though the stock rear leafs of the Tacoma are pretty flimsy, they are probably stiffer and less progressive than the coils on the 4R. A three or four leaf pack just can't be very progressive. Leaf springs are not known for ride quality, which is one reason cars use coil springs. Dodge uses coils in the Ram 1500 for that reason.

Also, if you've put larger wheels and tires on the Tacoma, the additional unsprung weight makes the ride worse. The difference would be especially noticeable if the 4R were running relatively light stock size wheels and tires.

Thanks for reading my late night ramblings.

mjac

Adventurer
I added airbags (100$ or so) to my otherwise suspension unmolested T4R to help when towing a TT. Aired down to 10psi when not towing really helps with roll. Roll is almost unnoticeable now.
For that PU type ride, keep the bags aired up to 25~30 psi when not towing towing something heavy. :)

Last edited:

Mattm94

Observer
Having owned over a dozen Toyota vehicles, all trucks or SUVs, the Japan vs. North American assembly appears to hold at least some water. Fit, finish, and overall "tightness" of the units that were assembled in Japan are all just a little better across the board. This includes several generations of Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, and Lexus GX (which ain't really fair to include). 3rd gen 4runners in particular were very well put together machines. 98,99,00 are the models we've owned and driven. A 2007 Sequoia was a particularly uninspiring example of NA build fit and finish.

A leaf sprung Taco just isn't going to drive the same as something with a full box frame and coils in the rear. Great shocks and springs, like an ICON/Deaver setup, can close the gap, and are more than acceptable.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Tacoma is made in the USA. The 4Runner is made in Japan. There you go.
I want to blame this, too, but even when the Pickup was still a Hilux and made in Japan they rode worse than same year 4Runners. Now I'm totally on board that North American made Tacomas are going downhill in quality, I think the reason for the OP's question boils down to it's a truck with leaf springs.

Toyota deigned the Tacoma with a open-C frame to make it more "compliant" so it rides a little less harsh than a pre-Tacoma truck (although the 4Runner still has a fully boxed frame and seems to manage a good ride) because people complain that their pickup rides like a pickup. In the process they have made it kind of a noodle that needs steel welded back into bring rigidity to it. Plus the US and Mexican quality is just simply not as good, more rattles and squeaks than before.

p nut

butter
USA vs Japan thing.... I haven't noticed it. I've had 2 4Runners and 2 Tacomas. They all had little issues, but all were solid. I wouldn't put one over the other. There are also 2 Tundra's in my family (2nd gen). All with over 150k miles, used in commercial construction industry. Everything works, no rattles. Just like my old Land Cruiser 100 that had 170k miles (which had a lot easier life).

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Maybe, but it's also the most obvious difference between two otherwise very similar vehicles. My buddy's 4runner was built at the Aichi plant in Japan, my Tacoma in Baja, CA - guess which one is a better built vehicle? The guy on the assembly line may not be doing the engineering, but attention to detail, fit, finish and build quality certainly matter.

I would say the coil sprung rear suspension, fully boxed frame, additional attention paid to NVH (as a premium SUV versus utlity truck) are much more obvious. :shakinghead:

AxleIke

Adventurer
People pretty much nailed it here.

4runner has coils and more weight over the rear axle. One thing that was not brought up, and I can't speak to the new tacos (2005+) but at least with the older trucks and first gen tacos, the 4runner has better shock placement: further outboard. Helps damp the axle better, and you can run softer shocks and still control the axle well.

Leaf springs don't ride as well as coils, but they tow and handle weight much better than most factory coil suspensions.

As for the OP, can try some new aftermarket springs, but you'll probably get some lift out of it. Other than that, more weight in the bed would be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven