4runner - buying advice needed

best economical overlander/weekend family getaway?

• Toyota 4runner

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • honda pilot

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • subaru forester

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • subaru outback

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eaglecrest

Hello,
About me: DD -2010 Accord, weekend getaways - 2001 Rav4
beginner in overlanding. Its time for my Rav4 to go (breaking down + growing family:2nd kid on the way). Thinking to replace it with a 4runner trail premium (Need moonroof :coffeedrink:)
Test drove one last week - gas & brake feels spongy, feels low pickup, 3 month wait time for barcelona red, 42+ttl (~44 onraod), avg mpg on the dash was 15.7 mpg

use case: mostly in and around texas with a TX to MT roundtrip every 6-8 months, weekend camping, moderate trails, semi paved roads. Rav4 was able to hold most stuff but is beginning to run of space and thinking 'another crossover + baby + camping = frustration'

Concerns: mpg, price, brakes, wait time, pickup

Need: your inputs so i can make a decision. do i need a trail premium considering the aforementioned use case ? Will the SR5 premium serve all my needs ? I do not want to buy a Subie forester and regret later

eaglecrest

Note: my knowledge in 4x4s is none/very limited and this may never see wild terrain/mud - worst case is rocky mountains/aspen CO during winters for atleast for the 2 years

Justin911

i am coming from owning a subaru impreza for 10 years. i love subaru and will come back. been shopping for a trail premium also. found one and will go buy it when it arrives at the dealership. i thought about a forester or outback, but the 4runner offers more. better ground clearance, 4low when you need it, and still comfy. unless you plan to get off the beaten track, get a 4runner.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
We love our Trail edition and your concerns are valid but the pro's out way those easily once you see how capable the rig is. You also have so many options for the build and parts out there that work with a 4runner. Our MPG is around 17.5-18 for city and 18.5-19 on highway. Thats with a Icon 2.5 lift and Duratrac tires, brakes I have never had an issue. Its worth the wait, and price is worth it when you consider the price difference for a LR4 or new land cruise when the trail has KDSS, crawl control, and a locker. If prices is a concern just go with a standard Trail edition with out the rear cargo slider.

eaglecrest

thank you for your responses. 18 mpg is good. looking at all the features, i really don't know if ill need the Crawl control/locking rear diff as it may never see real off-road but only Forest service roads, light duty trails & nothing extreme. Having said that, can i just get the SR5 premium (moon roof) or just the trail version (sacrificing the moon roof) without KDSS ? looks like trail premiums are hard to find :(

Also, i did go for a test spin yesterday - it was SR5 premium. Just got off the dealer parking lot, entering the service road half way - the rig just died. Turned off everything, verified the 4HI/4LO is off and started again - entered the ramp and it was constantly dying for about half a mile- gas was there, the sales guy was like ******...then we pulled off the road and he drove - same thing happened :( scares the s*$t out of me - if the same were to happen in a remote place with my kids. we managed to come back and drove the Limited edition and it was exciting - no issues and is impressive.

Last edited:

eaglecrest

i am coming from owning a subaru impreza for 10 years. i love subaru and will come back. been shopping for a trail premium also. found one and will go buy it when it arrives at the dealership. i thought about a forester or outback, but the 4runner offers more. better ground clearance, 4low when you need it, and still comfy. unless you plan to get off the beaten track, get a 4runner.

Thanks Justin! Forester/CRv is off my list - ill either get this 4runner (90%) or go with a bicycle for now :D

Dalko43

Explorer
Concerns: mpg, price, brakes, wait time, pickup

Need: your inputs so i can make a decision. do i need a trail premium considering the aforementioned use case ? Will the SR5 premium serve all my needs ? I do not want to buy a Subie forester and regret later

If your concerns include mpg and price, then I would skip the 4runner and go for an outback. The new 4runner is in high demand and is priced accordingly and its mpg is mediocre at best; the best you can expect from mixed driving is 19-20mpg, and it will quickly drop off from there if you start throwing in weight, wind, stop-and-go traffic, hills, ect....the engine/transmission combo, while reliable, is not known for its fuel efficiency relative to other modern offerings.

An outback's AWD and mild ground clearance should get you where you need to go, at least based on the intended use you described. I've heard that the outbacks do very well in terms of storage and interior space, even comparable to some mid-sized BOF SUV's (like the 4runner and Xterra). However, I would check the vehicle in person to see if it will work for you.

If you do decide to go with a 4runner (I assume you mean 5th gen), a SR-5 model should work just fine. It pretty much has everything the trail has with the exception of the locking rear differential. Not sure why you think you need a premium trim; I think sunroofs come with most models, but I could be wrong.

p nut

butter
For your usage, I would go with a Pilot, hands down. I've got 2 kids and our Outback is getting a bit tight for any extended camping trips. It does great off-road (dirt/FS roads, very moderate trails, etc), but cargo capacity is the limiting factor with kids. We've got a roof rack, which helps, but with #3, there is no way we'll all fit in. Pilot with the 3rd row, good off-road prowess (watch TFLtruck reviews), much better on-road ride/drive characteristics, and better MPG--it's almost a no-brainer. If you don't need a 3rd row, the new Ridgeline wouldn't be a bad option, either.

Riddle

Note that the SR5 is 4wd; having come from an AWD Subaru vehicle I know you often take for granted having all wheel drive all the time and engaging a transfer case along with all the more specific conditional considerations for some can be more trouble than its worth. I believe the Limited is AWD, buts a lot, ahem, different looking and much more expensive. Plus as someone mentioned previously, the Outbacks are huge these days and probably rival if not beat the 4runner in overall cabin space. Then again there is no replacement for having a BOF truck, and the handling characteristics both better and worse that go with it.

Catfish37

Observer
We just picked up a 16' SR5 4Runner 4x4. It's a fantastic suv. I had the dealer find me a white one with 3rd row seating for the every now and then occasion that we hual extra kids with us. My wife loves it. It doesn't have the sunroof and I'm not sure if it has the locker or not.(I don't get to spend much time in it) but it does have A-Trac that is a proven system. I also love the fact that all the windows are auto down and up, even the back window. It's hard to find exactly what your looking for on the lot or otherwise. The dealer actually brought mine in from northern Arkansas to Texas.

eaglecrest

Thank you for all your responses. I think i need to supply more info, so you guys can help me make the call..
1. Always bought cars between 40-60k miles so save myself from the first 3-4 year depreciation. Never owned in my life a brand new CUV\SUV\sedan. Hope to keep my vehicles for a minimum of 120-150K miles
2. monthly commute is 350 miles give or take a hundred for local errands (SO's accord gets the grocery shopping trips), big miles come from long weekend trips - typically 2-3 trips a year each ranging 1500-2000 miles, so long driving comfort is a must
3. looking at SR5 premiun or trail premium specifically for the sun roof
4. test driven forester - feels good for commute but on highways at 70-80 mph, it tends to feel floaty
5. recent CRV design ******ks + feels less roomy and a namesake AWD
6. friend has a 2015 2.5 outback - feels so underpowered, whines when pushed from 40-70 mph - may be ill get used to whining but don't believe it has enough power when its loaded with family + camping gear
7. tired of waiting for Tribeca's replacement.

Considerations on the table in order- (Mpg difference between options 1 & 2 seems a close call, SO wants brand new at least this time)

1. New 4runner trail premium
2. New outback 3.6R
3. New mazda cx-9
4. 2013 highlander or earlier
5. 2014/2015 pilot or earlier models (hate the newer designs)
6. Acura MDX (last option due to premium gas & RDX feels too small in terms of cargo)

My 2k1 Rav4 is running OK clocking ~148k, but have spent too much and is becoming unreliable off late - busted radiator, shocks\struts, battery, tires, door seals, frozen windows - while these are BAU for the age/miles, the last trip from Dallas to flagstaff AZ was crazy - the transmisson was stuck at 40mph in a 2 lane 6% grade and i was in the passing lane passing a semi :-(

This was 4 months ago and that's the spark.We made it back without a recurrence of the issue.

I have deviated from the OP, but this is the story behind the need for a new UV. I need utility/value for money, not a fan of luxury models. No manufacturer takes in custom orders meeting all my requirements. If not for the kids & SO, i would have gladly buy a Honda Civic & sleep under the moon (1 questionable decision...lol)

Last edited:

94toy22re

Observer
Have you considered a Eco-boost F150, you can find a new base model 2.7 ecoboost double cab 4x4 for under 35k with all the rebates they have going on!

eaglecrest

Have you considered a Eco-boost F150, you can find a new base model 2.7 ecoboost double cab 4x4 for under 35k with all the rebates they have going on!

F150 never crossed my mind, dnk why though - may be the same reason why Tacoma was off the list - but considered the explorer - looks attractive - being the new generation, i thought i should give it some time to see what kind of issues are hiding - IMHO 2nd year & 3rd year versions are better.

Thanks for pointing out - ill dig into it now.

94toy22re

Observer
We have a fleet of fords at my company and one the sales men has the first year of the crossover explorer and has 250k last time I checked no issues, I have a 2012 f150 company truck 4x4 5.0 and I get about 19mpg going from OKC to Houston going 75-85 mph and OKC to flagstaff last year I got 17mpg going and 22mpg on the way back. I bought a 2007 4Runner for my outdoor adventures last summer while it's great on long trips I am defeintly buying a truck next for ulility/cargo room.

Dalko43

Explorer
Considerations on the table in order- (Mpg difference between options 1 & 2 seems a close call, SO wants brand new at least this time)

1. New 4runner trail premium
2. New outback 3.6R
3. New mazda cx-9
4. 2013 highlander or earlier
5. 2014/2015 pilot or earlier models (hate the newer designs)
6. Acura MDX (last option due to premium gas & RDX feels too small in terms of cargo)

I know this is a Toyota section, and you seem more interested in the 4runner than anything else based on your rankings, but I've got to say that MPG-wise the 4runner is nowhere near what the outback 3.6R and other crossovers offer.

Govt ratings show there is a big difference: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=36859&id=36435

The best mpg I've ever gotten with my 4runner is 23mpg; that was all highway, going 60mph, no head wind and no hills. The norm for the 4runner on highways and rural roads with speeds over 65mph is 21-22mpg. Mixed Driving is 19mpg. City is normally 17-18mpg. You throw in any sort of weight, hills, stop-and-go, cold weather and the mpg goes down from there...for frame of reference I was regularly getting 15-16mpg in city driving during this past winter. This engine/transmission combo just isn't known for its fuel economy.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 4runner; it's a great, reliable vehicle. But if your top priority is mpg, you're picking the wrong one. Also if you think the outback's rear end is "floaty" on the highway, you're going to be in for a rude awakening with the 4runner's suspension. It drives like a truck and has body roll; certain options like KDSS might mitigate that, but its still a Body on Frame truck and will drive as such.

And you don't need to get a premium trim for the sunroof. While they are not standard, they do come on most vehicles, regardless if its a premium version or not.

In all honesty, a crossover, like the outback or pilot, will likely work for you just fine. You should have no problems going down forest service roads and even getting through some technical terrain, if you drive carefully. If you were planning on tackling hard trails and remote areas for vehicle exploration and/or remote access, I would wholeheartedly recommend the 4runner...but it does seem like an overkill for your intended use and will definitely be a step down in terms of mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk