4Runner or Tacoma? Need Advice

Clay2078

Hey guys,
Later on this year I will be purchasing a new overland vehicle to build. I've narrowed it down to either a 2017 4Runner or Tacoma. If I go with the Taco, the first purchase would be a ARE cap. I think the Taco would have more storage, but also like the idea of having everything stored in the same compartment makes me lean towards the Runner. Also, concerned about wheel base on the Taco when it comes to trails. Any advise would help. Thanks, Clayton

Please feel free to post pics of your storage set up...would love to see what's out there.

JLee

Adventurer
What's your ultimate end goal?

For the cost of a 2017 Tacoma or 4Runner, I'd be really tempted by a gently used 200-series Landcruiser.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Plans may change, they did for me. Started out with a Leer shell on my Tacoma, now have a Four Wheel camper. Much better setup for me and my style. Really comfy compared to sleeping and traveling with the shell. Ron

Clay2078

Sir, I have a f150 for the hauling etc. We do not have kids, but plan to in the near future. I 100% agree on the land cruiser, but to be honest I'm not a huge fan of them. I love the tacos and the runners. If I went with the taco I would do a DC.

Clay2078

End goal? I have a 97 runner right now (that I plan on keeping), but want something more reliable for longer treks. I live in East TN and I think a Land Cruiser would be too big for a lot of the trails in our area. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the Cruiser for some reason.

justrom

Adventurer
The DC Tacoma's backseat is not all that big when it comes time to put car seats back there. I'm 6' tall and can't put the car seat (either backwards or forward facing) behind me and still give our son legroom in his car seat. Riding in the passenger seat with him behind me means that my knees are jammed into the glove box. I can't ride there for more than a few minutes. Attaching the car seat's top anchor strap is a real pain (at least on the '13 DC). You have to tilt the seat forward, hook the strap behind the seat, and then tilt the seat back, tighten the strap and lower the car seat into position at the same time.

Something to think about for the future. We love our Tacoma, but it has some drawbacks as a family vehicle with young kids.

Clutch

<---Pass
Think the choice is clear...

urydezah.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Clay, depending on the condition of your '97 Frunner, why not look at doing some work on it? New is nice, but I've got a 100 series and a 2014 diesel truck and the '96 4runner I just bought is more fun to drive than either of the others. For the price of a down payment you could put a fresh 3.4 in your '97, and add a few more monthly payments worth and you can go through most of all the mechanical stuff. I'd opt for the simplicity myself...

And I completely agree on the 200 series. I respect them, but I don't love them. They may eventually grow on me, but I don't think they'll replace the 80 or 100 in my heart.

Clutch

<---Pass
Isn't a 4Runner a Tacoma with a factory hardtop?

Not really, one can argue that the 4Runner is better built. I think it is, even though I am Tacoma fan.

Built in Japan vs. US/MX...boxed frame vs. c-channel....coil rear suspension vs. leaf sprung...rear disc vs drum.

Roody

Adventurer
If you haven't already, test-drive both. Then decide how important a bed is to you, and go from there. The 4R has a little more room in the back seat, and probably a slightly better engine, but I'm betting that once you drive both you'll lean a certain way just based on how comfortable you are with one of them. Both are great overland options, so it really comes down to which you like piloting more.

p nut

butter
... The 4R has a little more room in the back seat...

This is the second time this has been mentioned in this thread, and multiple times elsewhere. Can you confirm this? From the specs I'm looking up, it doesn't appear to be true. Tiny bit more leg room (0.3") and headroom (0.3"), but less shoulder room (1.1") and less hip room (0.6"). Pretty much a wash?
_
.......Tacoma (16)..4Runner
HR - Front 39.7 39.3
HR - Rear 38.3 38.6
LR - Front 42.9 41.7
LR - Rear 32.6 32.9
SR - Front 58.3 57.8
SR - Rear 58.9 57.8
HipR - Front 57.2 56.5
HipR - Rear 56.3 55.7

Last edited:

Forum statistics