4Runner vs Grand Cherokee

bhowe

4Runner vs Grand Cherokee.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Will be towing a 4,000 lb (unladen) trailer for a base camp.
A V8 is a must.
What advise would you offer?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
alaskantinbender said:
I think you might have answered your own question. If im not mistaken 4 runners dont come with a V8.

Regards,

Jim

Yes they do. 4.7 with 260hp and 306lbft of torque. SLightly detuned mid line V8 for the Tundra.

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/specs.html

Personnaly I would go with the toyota if I had the money. Better quality product. Better resale. Thats taking into account I can get hte Cherokee at employee price.

njtaco

Explorer
I had an 03 4-runner SR5 for a while with the V8, and towed a 7500+ Lb trailer from the Jersey Shore to Bloomsburg, Pa. Big hills on route 80 by flatlander standards, but nothing like out west. I also towed 5-6000 lb trailers from time to time with it. I only used weight distribution, no sway control, and a Tekonsha brake control using the factory harness.

I was impressed by the ability of a "smallish" truck to tow that weight so well. No sway, smooth power, stopped straight and safely. I was not fatigued more than usual, and the power mirrors needed no extensions (for me, anyways.) The seats that year were poor, but better than the Tacoma I have now (an '03.)

The truck was bone stock, except the Toyota weight distributing hitch.

Fuel mileage was not so good, towing or not, but it still got better MPG towing than my 454 powered GMC ever did empty. More importantly, I never worried about making it home. :Mechanic:

Check out the frame design on the 4-runner vs, the Jeep. My 4-runner felt very solid on the road. :REExeSquatsHL1: I have no idea how the Jeep is put together, and have nothing to say, good or bad about the Jeep model you are considering.

I was told a while back the 4runner 4.7 was not the same block/engine as the Tundra 4.7, but but was the "Lexus motor." I think this is the first I've heard them compared as above. Not that it matters, both are strong Toyotas. I'm still curious, though...just not enough to look it up! :)

Edit...
OK, I looked it up...Tundra has an i-force engine, cast iron block, 4-runner has a different designation, not an i-force.

Last edited:

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Get a Diesel Grand Cherokee, tow rating 7400lbs and better gas mileage and 1 foot lb more torque than the 5.7 Hemi. I love mine.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, that is some serious weight for the little 4Runners. I was looking forward to pulling my 1978 30-ft Avion travel trailer (usually around 7500 loaded)
as a test sometime, great to hear yours handled the weight so well. I'm sure my old diesel pulls it better and with better MPG, but you post is encouraging that maybe I'm not totally crazy :)

njtaco said:
I had an 03 4-runner SR5 for a while with the V8, and towed a 7500+ Lb trailer from the Jersey Shore to Bloomsburg, Pa. Big hills on route 80 by flatlander standards, but nothing like out west. I also towed 5-6000 lb trailers from time to time with it. I only used weight distribution, no sway control, and a Tekonsha brake control using the factory harness.

I was impressed by the ability of a "smallish" truck to tow that weight so well. No sway, smooth power, stopped straight and safely. I was not fatigued more than usual, and the power mirrors needed no extensions (for me, anyways.) The seats that year were poor, but better than the Tacoma I have now (an '03.)

The truck was bone stock, except the Toyota weight distributing hitch.

Fuel mileage was not so good, towing or not, but it still got better MPG towing than my 454 powered GMC ever did empty. More importantly, I never worried about making it home. :Mechanic:

Check out the frame design on the 4-runner vs, the Jeep. My 4-runner felt very solid on the road. :REExeSquatsHL1: I have no idea how the Jeep is put together, and have nothing to say, good or bad about the Jeep model you are considering.

I was told a while back the 4runner 4.7 was not the same block/engine as the Tundra 4.7, but but was the "Lexus motor." I think this is the first I've heard them compared as above. Not that it matters, both are strong Toyotas. I'm still curious, though...just not enough to look it up! :)

Edit...
OK, I looked it up...Tundra has an i-force engine, cast iron block, 4-runner has a different designation, not an i-force.

njtaco said:
ICheck out the frame design on the 4-runner vs, the Jeep. My 4-runner felt very solid on the road. :REExeSquatsHL1: I have no idea how the Jeep is put together, and have nothing to say, good or bad about the Jeep model you are considering.

The Frame on a Grand Cherokee is Unibody design like the Cherokee's. Great most of the time, but certainly not as HD as the Runner's Body on Frame design (they didn't change that did they?).

Given a choice I would go with the V8 Runner.

I don't have a 4Runner though, because I wanted the Solid Front Axle, but the new Grands don't have one either so it's a wash there.

Good luck!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have a 2004 4Runner with the 4.7 V8. I love it. I frequently tow my off road camping trailer (about 2300 Lbs loaded) up steep mining and timber roads with no problem. The tow capacity for my model is listed at 7000 Lbs.

I also do like the truck frame construction over a unibody design. Just my personal preference.

RichmondBasin07116.jpg

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
If you are buying used, the Grand Cherokee is a much better value. Not sure if we are talking about new or used here.

The 4.7L V8 in the Toyota is a very good engine. For that matter, the 4.7L available in the Jeep is a good engine too and you have the option of the 5.7 V8 in the Grand.

If you are partial to the Jeep (Dodge) products, then you could also consider the Durango, which has similar running gear as the Grand Cherokee but has a traditional ladder frame construction instead of unibody.

If I was buying new, and the cost was similar, I would personally choose the 4runner over the Jeep.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
While it'll come as no shock that I'd generaly say go Toyota, the addition of the Diesel in the Grand makes it a bit of a tough call. The fit and finish/durability/resale of the toyota will be greater, but boy that Diesel motor is just too good to be true.

I'd really like to see some of the new Grands built-up, the body shape is nice and boxy, although I worry that like alot of jeeps the interior room is lacking. Then there is the addition of the Electronic LSD's in the Diffs. IF Jeep would get with the program and offer a Rubicon like package (espescialy some Suspension and bumper changes...) for the GC w/the diesel, they could have a real hit on their hands eh...

:gunt:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
If your buying a new grand, The new 4.7L kicks out 330HP. The Hemi 5.7 is still available as well as in the limited's the 6.1L BEAST Hemi that77 was previously only in the SRT-8, Another option is the 3.0L Diesel, check out the new issue of Fourwheeler mag, it put a hurting on the H2 and H3 with V-8's. The only down fall I see of the Grand is it's Off-Road ability out the box. BUT the 4-runner is in the same boat so. You need to refine both for Off-Road use. If you are going to buy a use Grand the old, WJ body style is better suited to Wheel and has the same 4.7L V-8 but it's in the 280HP range. But don't let the number fool you, a couple of my friends pull there built YJ's on 16' car tarilers with them. I was impressed in how well that lil 4.7L pulled. I'm used to Cummins powered rigs, so I'm not easily impressed lol...

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Redline said:
It has it right now.

Another surprise is the electric harnesses with the Benz logo on non engine parts..... WK/ML

Best advise is go and drive both and see which one you like more. Do however make sure you test the different engine options. Sometimes you can just know straight away a particular vehicle does not suit your tastes despite everyone else's views. You are the one who needs to be happy about your own vehicle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online