4Runner vs Grand Cherokee

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
Yeah, that's a common problem w/ the WJ's unfortunately. Search mallcrawlin.com forums for blend doors and you'll find a lot of info.

Tanto

Adventurer
I've never had a problem with my WJ. Bought it new, has 4.7L V-8 quadradrive and it still gets 18 mpg with 3" lift 32" tires & an extra 1,000 lbs of stuff on & in it. I don't DD it anymore though.

I'm either looking at the WK deisel for a new DD or XK Commander.

lruss

Why?

In my 20+ years as a Mechanical Breakdown Inspector working for all major extended warranty companies including chrysler contract, I still cannot understand who would take chances with a jeep...

lruss

There is no "vs"

First, despite what some guy said, there IS a V8 version of 4Runner. Second, it's a shame even to consider parking a jeepie next to a Toyota truck. Dependability, quality, ride, handling... everything is from another world, and paying same money for a jeep is... well, not extremely inteligent.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee CRD. 62,000 miles and no issues. I can tell you that I have thought really hard to sell it and get a Tacoma/4Runner, but I just can't do it. The V-6 diesel is an awesome engine, plus it is unique. And unique is cool.

The only thing that I wish the Grand had compared to the 4runner was the body on frame. If the Grand had that I think it would be perfect, but no vehicle is perfect as we all know.

My Grand does everything I want...it has a great highway ride, it gets through the snow and ice, and it tackles moderate trails with confidence.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I bet he chose by now- this thread is 3 years old.

Iruss, why would you come over and tell us Jeeps suck though, I just want to really hear why, if you were an inspector I would love to know the faulty problems on what year and models. Dependability and Ease of working on a vehicle should go slightly hand in hand-- that is my person thought though.

Also, to help with this argument now, what year are we looking at for each would have helped out a bit more.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
In my 20+ years as a Mechanical Breakdown Inspector working for all major extended warranty companies including chrysler contract, I still cannot understand who would take chances with a jeep...

Plenty of people take bone stock Jeeps thousands of miles without any major issues. My YJ has never stranded me and it was born in the darkest days of Jeep quality, the PO didn't do it any favours either. However, as time passes, I would be more and more wary of taking a new vehicle from any manufacturer too far from the dealership. I think most people on here know why.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Wow....NICE :Wow1:

DSC00305.jpg

I am having a hard time wondering why people think the WK Grand Cherokee is a Uni-body? This was the only GC that was a true body on frame design.

I am in this same quandary and thinking the WK with the CRD and QDII. It honestly just blows the ATRAC system clean out of the water. Both have lots of mods available and honestly, if you take care of anything, it will last you forever... I had an Land Rover LR3 that never left me stranded.

drinkdrankdrunk

Did you really revive an 8 year old post just to be wrong? There has never been a body on frame grand cherokee. ZJ, WJ, WK, and WKII, none of them are body on frame.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I am having a hard time wondering why people think the WK Grand Cherokee is a Uni-body? This was the only GC that was a true body on frame design.

I am in this same quandary and thinking the WK with the CRD and QDII. It honestly just blows the ATRAC system clean out of the water. Both have lots of mods available and honestly, if you take care of anything, it will last you forever... I had an Land Rover LR3 that never left me stranded.

I can’t find anything that says it has a frame.

drinkdrankdrunk

It 100% doesn't have a frame. He's either stupid or wrong, only one of which is forgivable.

@k2sb2003 Find me a body lift for a WK, let alone any Grand Cherokee, and I'll believe you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online