4Runner vs Grand Cherokee

fisher205

Explorer
The other thing to take in account is the dealer. We have only one Toyota dealer in a 300 mile radius. Their attitude sucks all the way through the service department. At least with the Jeep I have 5 dealers within 60 miles. If you live in or near a metro area this probably isn't a problem.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OS-Aussie said:
Best advise is go and drive both and see which one you like more. Do however make sure you test the different engine options. Sometime you can just know straight away a particular vehicle does not suit your tastes despite everyone else's views. You are the one who needs to be happy about your own vehicle.

:iagree: I think this is the best advice so far.

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
i agree w/ OS-Aussie also.

im a long time jeeper, hands down, so ill preach jeep to the fullest. to me theres no sub for solid axles, but thats slowly comming to an end....sigh

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
This looks cooler than the 4runner. I love it's look. That being said my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee was the only vehicle I loved and hated so much. When it ran it sure was neat to have solid axles and a V8. The problem was that there was ALWAYS something breaking or wearing out... Thank god for bumper to bumper warranties. I got rid of that sucker just before the warranty ended. Never again.
I'd trust the 4runner more in a remote area, but damn this grand cherokee from AEV looks DARN good and the engine options are great.
vehicles_show_mojave_wk.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
SOAZ said:
This looks cooler than the 4runner. I love it's look. That being said my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee was the only vehicle I loved and hated so much. When it ran it sure was neat to have solid axles and a V8. The problem was that there was ALWAYS something breaking or wearing out... Thank god for bumper to bumper warranties. I got rid of that sucker just before the warranty ended. Never again.
I'd trust the 4runner 10 times more in a remote area, but damn this grand cherokee from AEV looks DARN good.

cooler than a 4Runner? nah... :ylsmoke: Check out CrozHawk's rig
DSC00298.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

DSCN1775.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
teotwaki said:
cooler than a 4Runner? nah... :ylsmoke: Check out CrozHawk's rig
I love it! I'd want it any day over the Jeep, BUT the jeep has more visually pleasing lines I think. It just looks better IMO. Thats okay though, I didn't get my 4runner for the looks although I think it looks good and that 4th gen looks GREAT!
I guess I'm trying to say, I'm a Toyota fan and I love how they look. If I were an alien that just landed on earth the Jeep would look better somehow with no knowledge of the two.
Hows that for getting weird on ya! :peepwall: :xxrotflma

SOAZ said:
I'd trust the 4runner more in a remote area, but damn this grand cherokee from AEV looks DARN good and the engine options are great.

I actually put my TJ up for sale yesterday as I am looking at buying the AEV Grand Conversion to replace the TJ. While I *want* the diesel, there is almost no cost difference between it and the Hemi on the Limited package but the Hemis' have a huge difference in financing and rebates. Gonna have to do a cost benefit analysis base don gasoline consumption and pricing vs. diesel consumption and pricing to see which one is the better value over time.

I also happen to really dig on this picture of the AEV...

vehicles_show_mojave_wk2.jpg

IronSmiles

Observer
I love taco's, I REALLY do.. but I'm sorry.. I'm a jeep fan to the core and quite frankly.. Jeep's always come out on top. :jump:

16mar5-jeep-trumps-corvette.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
IronSmiles said:
I love taco's, I REALLY do.. but I'm sorry.. I'm a jeep fan to the core and quite frankly.. Jeep's always come out on top. :jump:

16mar5-jeep-trumps-corvette.jpg
Yeah but that's a Chevy, and we all know what great products GM turns out these days :rolleyes:

robert j. yates said:
I actually put my TJ up for sale yesterday as I am looking at buying the AEV Grand Conversion to replace the TJ. While I *want* the diesel, there is almost no cost difference between it and the Hemi on the Limited package but the Hemis' have a huge difference in financing and rebates. Gonna have to do a cost benefit analysis base don gasoline consumption and pricing vs. diesel consumption and pricing to see which one is the better value over time.

That is one neat looking truck... While I always lean towards the diesel in terms of reliability and power delivery, and because well, I just LOVE diesel motors. They're gearing up to bend us over for diesel again... odd that a less refined fuel goes for more than premum. It's like were paying per BTU of potential energy. That or some @$$#*(&$ have dollar signs in their eyes. Or maybe Cheverons execs are affraid they're not gonna get their xmas bonuses if they get found guilty of poluting (and that's a pretty major understatement) most of the amazon.

Cheers

Dave

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I have 2 99 Grand Cherokee's limiteds: one with the 4.0L and one with the 4.7L V8. I love mine with the V8, very good power for this size of rig, very reliable in most respects. I have had issues on both with the climate controls not working properly which sucks to fix. The only other issues is to small of tires on stock vehicle and can't go bigger, limited in lift kits available and when you add 4inches, your still limited in tire size. Other than this they are fantastic in snow and if you run a 245/70/16 mud tire, you'll be amazed at what they can actually get through (obviously a wrangler with 37in boggers will do better). I get about 14.6mpg with mud tires and wilderness rook rack/lights to 18 on just a bare vehicle. If I was going to trade mine in for something else; foreign or domestic. I would get a new Jeep Rubicon 4 door and add a few mods or a Tacoma four door in the 2000-present (not sure when the 4 door came out).

Pete Wilson

Last edited:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

gprsdlyt,

That is exactly the problem we had with my wife's car 2 years ago; no heat on passenger side (cold air), sometime intermittent door operation by not changing modes, then fan motor quit. The whole thing cost me about $1300 to fix at a Jeep dealer...I think I got taken for a ride personally.

Mine right now has problem of working fine when system works, started intermittent then got worse, worked for a long time ok as long as I started car in mode I wanted to use. Then a few weeks ago the blower would go the randomly stop like it's in auto mode, last two days I couldn't get blower to work at all. Time to go in and get fixed.

Other than these two problems, both vehicles have been very reliable, just needing tires, brakes, oil changes etc. usual stuff. Hers has about 170K and mine has about 125K miles. They could be a little bigger but generally a good size.

wjtoy

I have both the 4.7 in a '05 Sequoia and the 4.7 in a '00 WJ. The Jeep is way more fun to drive (power to weight ratio is much better) but the Toyota is much more refined. I love the solid axle in the WJ and the ride is better than the Toyota IFS, IMO. Go for what you want, I think you can't go wrong with either manufacturer.

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
robert j. yates said:

Nice!!! I'd love to have one myself, but I'd really love to have diesel in my WJ. W/ the 3" lift and 33's + rack + gear + whatever, my gas mileage (and Wallet) are hurting bad!! Also consider biodiesel or even making it in your own garage for a third of the price. Sorry for the hijack. I love my 4.7. It's got GREAT power and it's always fun. OH and it sounds REALLY good too to be stock. If you're looking into WJ's, seriously consider the 4.7 High Output (HO) version. There's more info about that on WJJeeps as well. Can't say I've driven the 4Runner though. Good luck!

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
hey pete,
my buddy picked up a used 02 overland and 2 weeks later it had this prob. fortunately, it was under the dealer warranty and they took care of it, free-o-charge.....lucky sob ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online