4WC - Overrated and overpriced

billiebob

One of the oldest companies out there.
Not sure how good they are today but buying used I'd put them at the top.
Over Rated, No, fabulous product with 60? years of success.
Over Priced, Market correct, why leave mnoney on the table... ps you might sell for more than you paid.

Love to hear what you consider a better buy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2128b7dceddeada7594d490da2559063.jpeg

Last edited:
They have their pros and cons. I don't find them to be particularly high quality in either materials or workmanship, but I like a lot of the design elements, and there really aren't too many competitors ticking the same boxes that make a higher-quality product. The resale value is excellent, so the market seems to disagree with you on "overpriced."

I like them.

ripperj

Explorer
Seems like 90% of the FWC owners complain about condensation. The alternative is something like an Alaskan, but those are all soggy/rotten, or waiting to get soggy/rotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jadmt

ignore button user
They have their pros and cons. I don't find them to be particularly high quality in either materials or workmanship, but I like a lot of the design elements, and there really aren't too many competitors ticking the same boxes that make a higher-quality product. The resale value is excellent, so the market seems to disagree with you on "overpriced."

I like them.
partly because the market is full of uninformed consumers. Covid caused a massive shortage of brain cells.

tacollie

Glamper
Our FWC shell was $17k installed with tax. I'm sure prices are higher now. It's one of the cheaper slide in campers on the market so I expected the quality to reflect the price. If I was spending $40k I wouldn't even look at them.

Everyone complains about the condensation. It's minimal even in single digit weather in Colorado. Our furnace has been good but it seems to be an anomaly. The electric sucks. The interior build quality is mediocre. A window leaked from day one.

All that said we are happy. It does what we expected it to do. Even before Covid finding a good used camper was difficult. After months of watching the used market we threw in the towel and ordered our shell model.

We have been eyeing the Overland Ex but I'm not ready to fork over $40k.

jadmt

ignore button user
Our FWC shell was $17k installed with tax. I'm sure prices are higher now. It's one of the cheaper slide in campers on the market so I expected the quality to reflect the price. If I was spending $40k I wouldn't even look at them.

Everyone complains about the condensation. It's minimal even in single digit weather in Colorado. Our furnace has been good but it seems to be an anomaly. The electric sucks. The interior build quality is mediocre. A window leaked from day one.

All that said we are happy. It does what we expected it to do. Even before Covid finding a good used camper was difficult. After months of watching the used market we threw in the towel and ordered our shell model.

We have been eyeing the Overland Ex but I'm not ready to fork over $40k.
I looked at the overland explorers a month or so ago and while they are nice they were not near nice enough to warrant the 40K+ price tag to me.

tacollie

Glamper
I looked at the overland explorers a month or so ago and while they are nice they were not near nice enough to warrant the 40K+ price tag to me.
Pop ups seem to bring a premium over a hard side. The Overland is priced high but at least it does better where the FWC falls short.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, from what I understand, moisture-management is a fact of life in the NW, whether camping or just living in a home that maybe doesn't have the best air-exchange or active-drying.

As a desert-kid, it's hard to imagine, but I hear things... ;)

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Op woke up on the the wrong side of the bed.
I felt the same way when I had my fwc eagle with the fit and finish, but I enjoyed it,
It did the job. As life does it changed for me and I decided to go larger, so, 3/4 ton truck with a considerably larger pop up, not fwc.
Had fun with the eagle sold it for more than I paid and moved on.

tacollie

Glamper
We had a flippac before the FWC. The condensation in the Flippac was absurd even camping in the desert. She grew up tent camping in Missouri and never experienced condensation like we had with the Flippac. Maybe my perspective is screwed.

Speaking of our poor build quality. The Flippac makes the FWC look like a finely crafted piece of art. I guess that's the perspective thing again?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Flippac was a great product made by a company that really didn't want to be in that business... and it showed. ATOverland is kind of showing what might have been, had someone cared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77