4x4 wheelchair van on 37's

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Paging Lance....I see your next vehicle dude....just send it on over to SMB for a conversion top.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
That Van is crazy! Not sure how 10" of lift and 37's would work out for a wheelchair user since you still need to access stuff around the rig. The ad mentions a fold down rear seat which might work as a sleep setup?

And I have been looking at van's since the FJ Cruiser really doesn't allow me to take out anyone in a powerchair or who is heavier than I can transfer into the rig (assuming they can't boost themselves). But I bought the FJ before founding DE and I will lose quite a bit on the deal but that is the way it goes.
I will have to sell/trade in the FJ to change over rigs, the tough part is figuring out how to go about it (try to sell it whole and take a hit or strip it down and trade it in and take a hit, which hit is less painful, and of course some items go back to sponsors, but only a few things are sponsored like the Aluminess bumper, Extreme Outback Compressor and Tuffy Drawer).

[edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

mporter

Observer
freedom of opinion?

I really enjoy expedition portal, but sometimes i feel free speech and freedom of opinion are too strictly limited in the name of "peace at all cost" and universal harmony. I believe this community is mature enough to handle adult open discourse and personal disagreement.IMHO

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I really enjoy expedition portal, but sometimes i feel free speech and freedom of opinion are too strictly limited in the name of "peace at all cost" and universal harmony. I believe this community is mature enough to handle adult open discourse and personal disagreement.IMHO

Ummm, What are you talking about???

As to the van, coool, but $50k and not even diesel??? I would be worried about the sparkplugs flying out and hitting me in the head...lol. I hear though, that they have shot through the hood on triton equipped trucks...

Rexsname

Explorer
This thread was a couple of posts longer.....the offending posts were deleted. The posts were unfortunate. The situations that gave rise to the posts were also unfortunate.

REX

DjDrewDigital

Observer
That van is sweet@! :victory: I'm looking for one like that so I can drive from my powerchair and still go off-roading.

Keep 'em coming! If you see any more, let me know.

1leglance

Hey Drew,
Welcome to Expo!
Sportsmobile has built a number of vans with Norcal Mobility to suit the needs of all kinds of disabled drivers.
They are in Fresno and it would be worth a drive up just to meet the guys and see the vans in person. Also they handle used SMB's if a customer wants so they would be aware of anything that would work for you.
sportsmobileforum.com has a for sale area that you can watch also.
then there is a national craigslist search and ebay
I have been watching these for a couple of months now and used ones are a great deal, you can always have your local adaptive vehicle place make changes if needed.

Oh and your website and adventures are way cool...keep it up for yourself and as an inspiration to others!

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Hey Drew,
Welcome to Expo!
Sportsmobile has built a number of vans with Norcal Mobility to suit the needs of all kinds of disabled drivers.
They are in Fresno and it would be worth a drive up just to meet the guys and see the vans in person. Also they handle used SMB's if a customer wants so they would be aware of anything that would work for you.
sportsmobileforum.com has a for sale area that you can watch also.
then there is a national craigslist search and ebay
I have been watching these for a couple of months now and used ones are a great deal, you can always have your local adaptive vehicle place make changes if needed.

Oh and your website and adventures are way cool...keep it up for yourself and as an inspiration to others!

Thanks Lance! Yeah, I've been searching everywhere on the internet for 4x4 wheelchair vans. I've found a couple but they didn't meet my needs so I'm probably going to buy a used wheelchair van that works for me and have it converted to 4wd. I like the Sportsmobile conversion but not sure if I can afford the price tag.

If I get one, I want to set it up to take me across the Altar Sand Dunes and then south to Belize.

1leglance

Thanks for the alert that you need a lowered floor...or would a raised roof work as well?
For those who aren't disabled or those of us with a different issue it is hard to impossible to image what works for others since we don't have to live with the issue.
Any and all info, requirements and likes/dislikes you can offer up really help.

Even when on the trail it really helps to let others know what your needs/preferences are and such. Going slow on a trail due to lack of support in the drivers seat is something I learned about not long ago. Of course I didn't learn it until after I bugged the driver to keep up :) Bad move & inconsiderate on my part :)

I saw a floor shifter that would unscrew and be out of the way to ease getting in & out of the drivers area on another van. Would that be an important feature?

DjDrewDigital

Observer
The unscrew feature would be nice. I had my Dad look under the van I saw and the transfer case shifter can be moved or mounted anywhere out of the way.

My requirements:
1. 6" full dropped floor (dropped all the way to the pedals so I can drive from my chair)
2. Dropped floor in driver area must be 30" wide because I have a big all-terrain chair
3. Barn doors (no room for big tires with sliding door)
4. Lift (one that folds or slides out of the way in the stowed position is preferred because it allows room for a chair to pull up in the passenger seat position)
5. 4x4
6. Low roof
7. Automatic door openers

I need the dropped floor because the seat height of my chair is considerably higher than the seat height of the stock seat.

A high-top with no dropped floor can be used to transport other chair users, but I hate that configuration because you sit so high in the chair that you can't see out the windows. You can only see down at the road beside the van. Gets really boring after a while and you can't see where you're going.

I know I may seem picky, but I need something that works for me.

Last edited:

1leglance

Great info and thanks for the reasons & explanations.
Please check out this thread and offer up more info to that the able bodied can see things from your perspective and the newly disabled who might do a search can learn.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=429122#post429122

Now back to the van....please don't be offended by when I ask but is it that you prefer to stay in your chair or is it often a requirement for folks with a similar disablility? I only ask because it sounds like a dropped floor setup seems much more expensive.

I am grateful for your info on the raised roof/window thing as I am looking to put together a Sportsmobile so I can offer daytrips/overnighters to larger chair users and being an amputee I didn't realize the chair hgt/window thing.
So the solutions would either be to transfer someone from their chair to a vehicle seat if they could/would or get much larger windows and check placement? Your thoughts are welcome.
Great info in this thread for someone who may later search it.

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Yes, dropped floors might be expensive, but my condition is progressive and I need something that will work for me in the future. I have Muscular Dystrophy, so my muscles weaken over time. While I may be able to transfer now, I probably won't be able to in 2-3 years.

In my current setup, I load my chair on the back of my Jeep and then walk around to the drivers seat and get in, but I'm losing that ability and that's why I need a van.

For other chair users, everyone is different but it's easier for people with higher level disabilities to stay in their chairs. They often have specialized seating systems and a regular car seat wouldn't support them properly. Plus it's nice to have your chair with you when in the wilderness.

For window visability, you can't really get bigger windows. It may not be such an issue for manual chair users, but for big power chairs it is. Most wheelchair vans have the lowered floor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad