4xFish 5th Gen 4Runner build

haddix

Adventurer
Nice choice of suspension. I run old man emu on my FJ and love it. Which coils did you go with?

Excelsior

Observer
Read through this whole thread, and not a single picture of the promised yaks on the roof. So disappointed.

yak%20cow%20and%20calf%20N023.jpg

Awesome truck, though. I'm curious why you routed the light wires through such a maze? I honestly just ran them down the edge of the windshield, under the rear of the hood, and then through the firewall wire boot. Back when all I had on my roof was the Rigid light, you couldn't even notice it unless you looked for it.
1526153_10151988839632669_451064128_n.jpg

However, add enough stuff, and it starts to become way more conspicuous:
1560586_10152399293192669_3662158277109170980_n.jpg

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Read through this whole thread, and not a single picture of the promised yaks on the roof. So disappointed.
Awesome truck, though. I'm curious why you routed the light wires through such a maze? I honestly just ran them down the edge of the windshield, under the rear of the hood, and then through the firewall wire boot. Back when all I had on my roof was the Rigid light, you couldn't even notice it unless you looked for it.

However, add enough stuff, and it starts to become way more conspicuous:

Sorry to disappoint. Hopefully this helps make it up?

vytare2u.jpg

Hahaha thank you though. I had the same thought & I did a test run down the windshield. Unfortunately my wires seemed to stick out a bit too much for me. Maybe it was just my gauge of wire.

Nice choice of suspension. I run old man emu on my FJ and love it. Which coils did you go with?

Sweet. I gotta check down your build. :)

It seemed like a good choice based on my previous experience & some solid recs here on Expo.

y3yhu4us.jpg

I ended up going with the 2885 front & 2889 rear coils (medium load).

I have a Shrockworks front bumper on order & a Warn winch with synthetic for inside.

Ideally my goal was to stay with OEM Toyota CAs if possible & not have to think about rebuilding/tinkering too much.

Honestly I was concerned about a decreased ride quality after the install but I've been completely satisfied. Seriously. If anything I feel it's improved - the stock nosedive is gone thankfully and it just feels a bit more solid/compliant. It isn't flighty at all and I've aimed for potholes/rough patches & it seems to soak them up. So far very happy with OME.

Visually I like the stance but tires seem smaller now haha. I might change them at some point but I wanted to get a good feel for the suspension before adding a variable.

Hope to stretch it out in the near future & see how the coils settle but for now I'm a happy camper.

Great update, Matt! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the OME setup.

Thanks for your input & sharing your OME experience. Very helpful! :beer:

Last edited:

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Nice looking 4Runner! Just picked up a TE 4Runner and want to mount a full length Gobi. Can you tell me how the forward most roof mount works? Is the truck predrilled for the front mounts? See that the rear four mounts look like they would line up with the factory rail mount locations. Thanks

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I think the tires look good. It will probably settle some, plus the weight of the bumper/winch. I am biased towards a non-stuffed look though.

arla

Observer
Nice looking 4Runner! Just picked up a TE 4Runner and want to mount a full length Gobi. Can you tell me how the forward most roof mount works? Is the truck predrilled for the front mounts? See that the rear four mounts look like they would line up with the factory rail mount locations. Thanks
5th gen doesn't have predrilled holes at the front for the roof rack. Most full length roof racks use two stabilizing legs that are connected to the roof with 3M double stick tapes ( or something similar). My roof rack (Drabbits roof rack) uses the same design.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I think the tires look good. It will probably settle some, plus the weight of the bumper/winch. I am biased towards a non-stuffed look though.
agreed- I think it will look good once the additional weight is on.

5th gen doesn't have predrilled holes at the front for the roof rack. Most full length roof racks use two stabilizing legs that are connected to the roof with 3M double stick tapes ( or something similar). My roof rack (Drabbits roof rack) uses the same design.

truth- the front section isn't drilled into or using existing holes (like the middle & back portion that utilize OEM holes).

fe59e4c46cbe12f96c20072d6994c488.jpg

In other news the 4RUNNER was sold & will be having fun adventures on the west coast! it was a fun rig & learning experience but I came to the realization that I'm a Jeep guy. I blame AEV - primarily because of a trip we took with them to Kentucky & the fun we had haha.

I'll be starting the new build soon.

f99cef1879cbc516806dd24c59d15a40.jpg

Townsend

Observer
Sad to see she was sold - any reason in particular (beyond your Jeep bloodlines)? Looking into 5th gen TE's and loved your build - just wondering if I should look elsewhere...

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Thanks! My main reason for switching was I missed being in a Jeep. We've been building up my girlfriends 2 door JKR and I really dug the improvements (engine/interior/etc) from our earlier JKs. A couple trips last year pushed me over the edge. Very happy to be back in a Jeep.

The 4R is a nice truck & would recommend it. Or at least checking it out in person.

I'd suggest a Trail Premium with KDSS. OME lift was solid too.

Things that weren't for me:

-interior/cargo space was good but off road it translated to feeling big for tighter east coast trails.

-not a fan of all the electronic controls for wheeling. felt clunky & loud. just give me lower gearing & lockers.

-aftermarket support is ok but coming from JKs (& AEV in particular) I wished for more

Otherwise it was easy to live with day to day. On longer trips the miles just passed by comfortably.

Hope that info helps!

bugeye1257

Observer
Congrats on the new purchase!

I wish I was looking for a trail when you were selling, would of definitely looked at it, I have an 05 sport now and want to trade it in for a 5th gen.

Im right over the Lambertville bridge in Doylestown. I have been trying to gather some locals and meet up.

very interesting I am about to pull the trigger on a new jku rubicon and got side tracked into looking at the trail premium toy 4 runner
but being a jeep guy not sure i want to go there .... for one so much after market for jeep 2 desert rock crawling I am not sure if the runner has the clearance 3 I wan locker s at both ends not so much electro gizmo.. don't get me wrong I have owned 3 toy trucks a 85 4 runner and a landcruiser. and 3 jeeps

If toy would just get it's act together this is what I wan to to see a 4 runner that has a center and rear locking no fancy smanshy electro traction gizmo stuff leather heated seats and the ability to lift and run 35 with out a major suspension redo and make some decent after market armour that you can just bolt now then I might be writing toy that check but I think its gonna be Jeep

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Congrats on the new purchase!

I wish I was looking for a trail when you were selling, would of definitely looked at it, I have an 05 sport now and want to trade it in for a 5th gen.

Im right over the Lambertville bridge in Doylestown. I have been trying to gather some locals and meet up.

Hey neighbor!

Bummer-they're kinda rare to find with low miles. But keep looking & if I see one I'll send it you're way.

If you get a meet up going lmk- always up for seeing people's rigs.

very interesting I am about to pull the trigger on a new jku rubicon and got side tracked into looking at the trail premium toy 4 runner
but being a jeep guy not sure i want to go there .... for one so much after market for jeep 2 desert rock crawling I am not sure if the runner has the clearance 3 I wan locker s at both ends not so much electro gizmo.. don't get me wrong I have owned 3 toy trucks a 85 4 runner and a landcruiser. and 3 jeeps

If toy would just get it's act together this is what I wan to to see a 4 runner that has a center and rear locking no fancy smanshy electro traction gizmo stuff leather heated seats and the ability to lift and run 35 with out a major suspension redo and make some decent after market armour that you can just bolt now then I might be writing toy that check but I think its gonna be Jeep

Based on what you're saying I'd say Rubi. 33-34s seem to be the max tire size on 5th gens without a ton of work & you're locked F&R out of the box.

The 4R does check a lot of boxes though!

thethePete

Explorer
Will you be continuing to document your adventures and build on here somewhere? A link to the new jeep build would be great. I've got a growing family and I will be needing 4 doors soon. The JKs always kinda turned my crank.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
congrats on the growing family!

I'll be starting a thread in the Jeep section soon. I'm looking forward to some fun adventures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online