60 series or 80 series

Doc Mayhem

Observer
I am looking at getting a Landcruiser and am looking for opinions on a FJ60 or FJ80. I have spent alot of time overseas and have always wanted one. I really like the 60 being it is simple, stick shift, roll-up windows, carb, and no check engine lights or ABS (all positives in my eyes). Down side being parts are getting harder to get and by the time I get done with the H55F tranny etc. we are talking some serious money. Then there is the 80 which I would have never bought new because they were big money, but now that they are over 10 years old they can be had pretty cheap. I am seeing 95-97's with about 100,000 give or take for less than $10,000 and a few in the $6,000 range. The 80 already has the 4 wheel discs, full floater rear, fuel injection etc, but no manual tranny. However, for the most part all you have to do is bolt on the bumpers/suspension, a coat of wax and you are good to go. The down side of being newer more emissions issues and complexity, but the body will be in better shape. I have swapped motors and done suspension work, but if it involves serious fabrication/welding that is not me. No matter what it will get a snorkel, ARB winch bar, OME suspension etc. and will not need to be a daily driver.

Basically this would be a toy as I have my 2002 Tundra as a daily driver/winter beater and 1998 Mustang Cobra for the summer. I would like something for family type trips and figure even with the crummy mileage a Landcruiser is still cheaper overall, cost wise next to a $30-40,000 dollar new vehicle, plus it is a Landcruiser and what is cooler than that. Any opinions are welcome.

AndrewP

Explorer
This question comes up all the time and I always give the same answer.

If you can only have 1 Land Cruiser, the 80 is the one to have. It's an outstanding, extremely versatile, heavy duty vehicle. Believe me, I like a lot about the 60 series, see my sig line, but the 80 wins in every category, except for old school chic.

Good luck and hold out for a nice 80, 93+. The later engine with it's smoothness and power is worth having

DaveM

Explorer
I've had an fj55 and an fj60 and I can tell you the romance of roll up windows is way overblown. Once those things get a couple decades on them they are a ***** to roll up or down. I used to be a manual tranny guy as well but since switching to a DC Tacoma I've seen the light. Toyota autos are tough and crisp and a lot more fun to drive than I thought they would be. Be careful of early 80 series, they had smaller engine that were reported to be underpowered fro that size vehicle.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
If you like 60s I think you should go that route.. For $4-5G (or $3G if you are clever) you can find a really really nice 60, install that H55F for $2500, and use the rest of the money for suspension, mods etc. I think 60s are just great, so much character... 80's are nice though but they do have their quirks... A 60 with Old Man Emu suspension is nearly as nice riding as an 80, but that is about the only suspension worth a damn for a 60 series, in my opinion...

bomar

Adventurer
If you like 60s I think you should go that route.. For $4-5G (or $3G if you are clever) you can find a really really nice 60, install that H55F for $2500, and use the rest of the money for suspension, mods etc. I think 60s are just great, so much character... 80's are nice though but they do have their quirks... A 60 with Old Man Emu suspension is nearly as nice riding as an 80, but that is about the only suspension worth a damn for a 60 series, in my opinion...

Well said. :victory:

AndrewP

Explorer
Well said. :victory:

Maybe so but it's wrong. :sombrero:

A 60 with an OME suspension rides OK for what is basically a lumber wagon. How do I know? I daily drive one (62) every day.

A coil sprung 80 is far more plush than a 60 with any suspension and feels like a modern car.

I like(love) 60s, but not for the ride, power etc. I like their tie to the past and their easy modability if that's a word. There is a world of possible swaps with engines trannys, axles etc that doesn't exist in the 80 series, at least not easily. Example-my 60 has 62 axles, an fj40 transmission and a late year 60 transfer case with a Marlin crawler in between. Try that in an 80.

What was said that is right, is that 60s and 62s have gotten stupid cheap, for what is itself a great vehicle. They are cheap enough to buy and swap and mod to your heart's desire. My 60 and 62 together cost $5000 ($3000 and $2000 respectively) to purchase initially. However they are far more expensive to do the usual mods like suspension. They are cheap enough , that I did not feel bad about completely changing the nature of my 60 with the spring over.

However....

Consider this; You can buy a decent 97 80 series for $5000 or so. An OME heavy suspension is $800. Add a set of tires and you have a comfortable, fast, reliable, "Overland" vehicle that can go anywhere, on nearly any trail in the Americas. Plus, for the 99% of time you spend on the road, it is a far superior vehicle.

One last thought-you have to be dedicated to daily drive a 60. An 80 does not require that kind of commitment. That's it's genius.

Disclaimer-I owe a lot to dieselcruiserhead for his write up on getting 60 axles under a 55. I copied much of that with my 40 build. I just think he's not on the correct side of history in this one instance.

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Question though is if your truck has Old Man Emu. Seems to bring everything I personally have hated about 60s out of them at least in terms of suspension. Waay better than even a healthy stock suspension. I agree about 80s riding well. It's why I put one under my FJ55 :) In general 80 suspension still live axle and ride a little 'harsh' compared to say a 100 but is still pretty good. But I still think a 60 with Old Man Emu is the shiznit. Otherwise I've faught leaf springs to death in my opinion and basically will install or use them at little as possible in the future including spring over applications. So it takes a lot for me to recommend what I just did...

AndrewP

Explorer
Question though is if your truck has Old Man Emu. Seems to bring everything I personally have hated about 60s out of them at least in terms of suspension. Waay better than even a healthy stock suspension. I agree about 80s riding well. It's why I put one under my FJ55 :) In general 80 suspension still live axle and ride a little 'harsh' compared to say a 100 but is still pretty good. But I still think a 60 with Old Man Emu is the shiznit. Otherwise I've faught leaf springs to death in my opinion and basically will install or use them at little as possible in the future including spring over applications. So it takes a lot for me to recommend what I just did...

Just for the record, I have real live OME suspension with all of it's components-shocks, shackles sway extensions etc. It has been on both the 60 (pre-SOA) and now on the 62. I've given it a pretty fair test. The 80 rides better, and not by just a little.

The 80 is so seamless, it's like this weird perfect truck that is ignored by most. If only the manual tranny version were available here in NA.

Box Rocket

Sorry Andre, but I'm with Andrew. No comparison in ride quality between the 60 and the 80 with OME suspension. I'd rather have a SOA 60 on stock springs that OME if I was after ride quality in one of the early wagons. I love the early wagons. But the 80 gets my vote without question given a choice between these two.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
With the highly subjective element of ride quality aside, if it is going to be a toy, get the model that trips your trigger the best. Toys should be uber cool and only you can decide what that is. I love 62's for their classic looks and ease of up keep. I'm shopping an 80 because it is going to be driven daily and is still pretty cool. Keep us posted on your thoughts!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have a 60 because I like how it looks. I don't have an 80 because I don't like how they look, even flare-less. As much as I like the suspension of the 80 I just can't get there in the cosmetics dept, looks like the model was left in the rock polisher too long. (And AFAIC the 80 series is the last of the real Land Cruisers.)

By the time I'm 'done' my 60 will ride more like an 80 than a 60 w/OME under it. I have OME Dakar med/heavy springs now. I'm not too impressed. Supposedly the pre-Dakar OME springs were better. Ride quality is too subjective to know without a direct comparison. There are short springs under these trucks. Ride quality, particularly when compared to a coil sprung live axle, will never be great because the springs can not be made supple enough.
The point was made a while back that because I do not have the OME shocks (Fox 2.0's instead) that I'm not getting the true OME ride. Well, with the shocks not installed on the front of the truck it rode the same save for some post-bump cycling.

BCcamp

Observer
When we bought our FJ62, it was strictly for the classic look and experience. Ours has the 2.5" OME and 33s, so the ride and handling is acceptable. When we want to cover ground fast and in comfort we take the 911.

But AndrewP is correct that owning and driving a 60 is a committment, but they sure are fun, great off road, and you won't see yourself coming the other way every day.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Good input and definitely fair enough guys... The last time I rode in a 62 they have both had OME and I found myself tremendously impressed with the ride. They still sort of bounce around like a leaf sprung truck but it didn't bother me at all.... Definitely fair enough though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad