60 series seat suggestion?

zimm

Expedition Leader
whats your inseam? i have procars and in my 60 i find them to totally lack cushion and leg support, but i have a 36 inseam, shorter friends love them. seating position in some vehicles seems to put all the weight on my *** to get a good wheel grip. my 100 and my trooper are awesome stock. i had to sell the defender it sucked so bad.

i just got a couple universal mounts from seattlefjs on 'mud. ill be mounting BMW or Volvo seats depending on what i find. OEM euro luxury brands seem to have the whole seat thing down. seat mounts for 60's change depending on year btw.

dcoy

Adventurer
I have Corbeau Sport Seats in my '60. I'm pretty happy with them and they were reasonably priced for being leather but unfortunately my petite (5'0") wife is not loving them. I'm 5'11". She's not happy with the lumbar support. We're trying to find a small pillow to provide more forgiving lumbar support for her. I know that BMW seats are pretty popular with '60 series but can't speak to their comfort level.

Hi all,

I installed seats from a '94 Camaro into my FJ40 in the late 1990s. Went out to a wrecking yard and sat on seats until I found one that was comfortable, and gave good lower back support.

It is not difficult to adapt seat mounts to fit in another vehicle.

good luck,

Alan

traveldud

Observer
Thanks for all the replies. Procar seats look interesting but I cant help but wonder about the earlier comment on BMW and Volvo seats. I take they are more narrow than the Mercedes, which makes a comfortable seat. What years range is everyone looking for second hand?

Great detail on the procar ZIMM. My in seam is 32. Did you get the lumbar support ones?

I guess I should add fwiw I sometimes do 12 to 15 hours behind the wheel.

zimm

Expedition Leader
im unaware of any from iron pig with lumbar adjustment. while i didnt put them in the truck, i know thats where they came from.

since you mention it, they are a short seat vertically also. the bucket curves in at the neck, where for me, its at the shoulders. it reminds me of 80's ford van buckets. they force me into a curve and tire out my back. i'm better off on a bench seat than something shaped for a shorter skeleton.

i had another 60 years ago with original seats, and i gotta tell ya, with fresh padding i preferred them to these.

my guess would be 6' up to 210 is about the general max for these seats for a dude. if youre wider in the butocks, you'll complain every wheeling trip also....:rolleyes:

Philthyphil

Observer
I put in the SOR replacement padding and really liked it. The only issue I had besides the price was the fact that the denser foam sat me higher. I'm 6'3" and although it was great for my legs, another inch and it wouldn't have worked because my head would have been in the ceiling. It did retain the stock/classic look which I was also part of my decision.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I just picked up a set of like new 09 e90 BMW base seats, manual operation, heated. I'll be tossing them in.

The heat wiring may get a little funky, module controlled and all, but my dad is a tv repair man and he has an awesome set for tools. I'll work it out and spell out what I do later.

Just sitting in them in the back of my pickup i can say...

Theres no lumbar and I wont need it, as the seat back isn't cupped.
the height adjustment is going to solve my primary issue with the Pro-cars.
softer padding and the "pleather" feels nicer. not nearly as slick, theres some gripping texture.

price? 300. brackets, 150. procar price? 750 plus shipping.

so, you'll save what? 350 bucks? not much, but a happy *** is priceless.

i am going to start looking for M3 seats though. the seller had put those in, and they really were quite the seat. i could adjust those about perfect. i'm sure a takeout interior with needed wiring harness is going to be spendy tho.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
ok, the brackets from adventure ready bolt up fine, but they do not work with the e90 seats. the plate is about an inch short rear and side, and the seats themselves are too tall on the brackets.

Ces't la vie. 4 2" delerin pucks and some grinding of the stock brackets may be the solution.

zimm

Expedition Leader
just an fj60 observation.

newer OEM seats have a wider track base than the 70's, and are deeper in the bottom cushion, likely accounting for their general increase in comfort and adjust ability. The earlier 60's have taller factory stands welded in. in the end it makes for smaller selection of luxury scrap yard seats, if you want to avoid welding.

take good measurements before heading to the yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3