600 miles in S. Utah

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I remember those roads North of Lake Powell when I was up there in March after a lot of rain. Lots of deep gue. :Wow1:

Great photos, thanks for sharing your trip.

GunnIt

Adventurer
Looks like I'll have to add this one to my fall wish list. Great photo's and report!

Mind if I ask what resources (maps etc.) you used to put the trip together? I've put together some similar trips in Central Nevada / Southern Utah using the Delorme Gazetteer, but you have to take those with a grain of salt, it's always different on the ground.

I used a number of resources including searches here on the Expo Portal. The Delorme maps are good for a broad overview and a quick reference. The Nat Geo maps of the GSCE NM are good, as is the info that came from the NM visitor centers, both written and verbal; trust and don't second guess the advice of the locals...pick up the phone and call them or better yet stop by and visit on the way. I use 2 GPS's with hard copy map back-ups and a Spot Messenger to review track progress and as a lifeline for help. My Spot Adventure track of the trip is here:http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=211849

7wt

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting Terry, what a great looking trip. The coal thing was pretty interesting.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Thanks for sharing...it would take me almost 3 days driving just to get to your starting point. You are a lucky, lucky man! Great pics.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Excellent trip report, mind if I link it to ExpeditionUtah.com?

Fwiw the Hole In the Rock Road was getting graded while I was there earlier last year but was already pretty rough when we came back through earlier this year. It gets a pretty steady amount of traffic year round and the shoulder seasons (wet springs and damp falls) wreak havoc in that area.

So did you end up on Left Hand Collet at all? What shape is it in? Its gone through some pretty major changes due to flooding the last five years to the point the rangers have considered it 'impassible'.

johnlogan

My buddy Dave and I ran into you and Mario on Hole-in-the-Rock Rd. as we were heading back to Escalante. Your rigs looked really well thought out and very capable. Great pictures, and it is neat to see that we visited some of the same places. Here is a picture of our vehicles on the trip.

Attachments

• DSCN4336.JPG
    DSCN4336.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 94

GunnIt

Adventurer
Excellent trip report, mind if I link it to ExpeditionUtah.com?

Fwiw the Hole In the Rock Road was getting graded while I was there earlier last year but was already pretty rough when we came back through earlier this year. It gets a pretty steady amount of traffic year round and the shoulder seasons (wet springs and damp falls) wreak havoc in that area.

So did you end up on Left Hand Collet at all? What shape is it in? Its gone through some pretty major changes due to flooding the last five years to the point the rangers have considered it 'impassible'.

Kurt,

Please feel free to link to my post. We did not go up Left Hand Collet except for the couple miles looking for the dino tracks. The rangers DO tell everyone that it is impassible to regular size vehicles, however, they say that quads can make it. Sounds like this would be a good project to get behind to try and get this section of road back to passable.

GunnIt

Adventurer
My buddy Dave and I ran into you and Mario on Hole-in-the-Rock Rd. as we were heading back to Escalante. Your rigs looked really well thought out and very capable. Great pictures, and it is neat to see that we visited some of the same places. Here is a picture of our vehicles on the trip.

Yes, I remember passing by you guys. You actually pulled over a and let us slide past. Cheers!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt,

Please feel free to link to my post. We did not go up Left Hand Collet except for the couple miles looking for the dino tracks. The rangers DO tell everyone that it is impassible to regular size vehicles, however, they say that quads can make it. Sounds like this would be a good project to get behind to try and get this section of road back to passable.

It is in fact passable, thous as of last it took a decent amount of effort for the group I know of but it was passable. I was just more interested in how much effort it took you guys with a trailer.

The worst I have personally seen it was in the fall of 2006, it had washed considerably in some October storms that wasted a lot of southern Utah. This about ripped my cab off
Paria_20NPS_20262_2012-06_20122_20_Large_.jpg

Thanks again for the great report!

GunnIt

Adventurer
So, how was the weather...How hot? Just curious...

Hot is relative...it was 116 here today, 20 degrees above normal:Wow1:

The top of the Kaiparowits was perfect sleeping weather but shade was welcome during the day. Escalante was mild. Hole in the Rock was hot. Antimony was near perfect temps.

Now that the Monsoons are developing over the area things should cool down over the entire region.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven