600 miles in S. Utah

Bellpilot

Observer
Awesome Trip

Terry,

Great Pics and looks like you & the family had an awesome trip!

Wish I was there tagging along....
Best,
Bellpilot

JamesDowning

Explorer
930699365_FBinr-L-1.jpg

Great pictures!

Do you mind sharing the GPS location of your campsite? I'm having trouble locating a Powell Point.

The wife and I are planning a trip across the US next year and have been eagerly scouting out some sweet campsite locations.

Thanks!

GunnIt

Adventurer
Great pictures!

Do you mind sharing the GPS location of your campsite? I'm having trouble locating a Powell Point.

The wife and I are planning a trip across the US next year and have been eagerly scouting out some sweet campsite locations.

Thanks!

I do not have a GPS location, however, this spot is at the very top of the Kelly Grade on Smokey Mtn. Road, pullout to your first left as you crest.

soonenough

Explorer
Absolutely wonderful photography. Thanks for posting; I now have several new background images for my desktop. :D

Would you mind sharing the lens(es) you were using for some of the shots?

GunnIt

Adventurer
Absolutely wonderful photography. Thanks for posting; I now have several new background images for my desktop. :D

Would you mind sharing the lens(es) you were using for some of the shots?

Thanks for the compliments on the photos.
My camera is a Nikon D700 and has the full frame sensor which allows me to dig out and use my old "prime" lenses.

All the shots were taken with one of three lenses.
Nikkor 35-70 1:2.8 D
Nikkor 20-35 1:2.8 D
VR Nikkor 80-400 1:4.5-5.6D

I forgot my tripod so I used a rock as balance for the compressed and night shots.

All the photos are displayed as shot. I try to do my photos the old fashion way...processed in the camera with no post processing programs used.

soonenough

Explorer
I forgot my tripod so I used a rock as balance for the compressed and night shots.

All the photos are displayed as shot. I try to do my photos the old fashion way...processed in the camera with no post processing programs used.
Wow, now I'm even more impressed than I already was :sombrero:

jdholder

Explorer
Very cool!! Thanks for the write up!

Wondering if you think the trip would be doable in the Spring time? Say around Mid-April? You mention a couple of places you wouldn't try to drive through if it was wet - any thoughts?

Thanks!!

GunnIt

Adventurer
Very cool!! Thanks for the write up!

Wondering if you think the trip would be doable in the Spring time? Say around Mid-April? You mention a couple of places you wouldn't try to drive through if it was wet - any thoughts?

Thanks!!

The Spring weather in this region is anything but predictable. Usually it is warming up in mid-April, the average hi temp is 69, the average low is 49 with .5" of moisture for the month. I would not attempt this trail in its entirety anytime there has been a recent rain or snow, especially the lower section in the Tropic Shale which becomes a sticky goo-glue when wet. If there is a dry spell April would be a grand time to make this trip, if you were to plan for May you would have a better shot at perfect weather. Let me know if you decide to do it and I'll give you local weather and outlook.

Here is another shot of that Tropic Shale.

930691379_bP2at-L-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven