66mpg, 14" Ground Clearance, 3.2s 0-60mph, 1,800lb Payload, 826ft/lb torque, true 4x4, 66mpg.......

T-Willy

Agree with BRP...

Charge time isn't and won't be the issue; tech is already on the cusp of 15 minute charges for six hours of travel - numbers that will only improve.

But charge location, and remote charging, will challenge remote touring. Solar systems to support remote charging while driving and on down days will be a need. But again, with tech advancing at break-neck pace, this too will be - or perhaps already is - solvable.

I'm incredibly optimistic about the future of EV remote touring. I can't wait to see where things are at in another five or 10 years

Couldn’t agree more. I see a future with EVs and small super efficient diesel power plants to charge batteries on the go and while parked.

The performance will be amazing. Motors are soooo much superior to internal combustion engines in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dalko43

Explorer
In the context of this forum, long distance with heavy vehicles in remote places, EV's and charging is a concern for sure. In the normal person day-to-day, there is no Achilles heal. Charging takes no time, and your call is full every morning. I've got a "gas" station in my garage that charges the equivalent about .20/gallon.

I think there is a general mis-understanding about EV charging time. I own an EV and I spend less time refueling than a person that owns a combustion engine. For long travel, and this depends on what vehicle and chargers you are talking, you can drive about 3 hours, stop for 30 minutes and repeat. That is with current technology on current cars. When Tesla updates their Superchargers, which starts early next year, it will be more like a 15 minute stop. A 15 minute stop every three hours is probably what you are doing anyway, if not a longer stop. To drive 6 hours with only a 15 minute stop is long drive.

Well seeing how this is an overland-focused forum, charging in remote locations or during/after long trips is very relevant to any EV that might take the place of an internal combustion engine vehicle. It's great that you're able to recharge your vehicle in your garage over night and wake up and drive it the next day without issue....how is that practical when your car camping in a remote location with limited access to electricity?

30 minutes for every 3 hours of driving is a huge time commitment, especially if you're trying to cover several hundred miles over the course of a day. Moreover, I can only imagine that recharges will be needed more frequently when the payload and or driving load increases (such factors are relevant to overloading and 4x4 usage).

If Tesla can get the recharge time down to 15 minutes for every 3 hours of driving, that's great....but I'll believe it when I see that it has actually happened. For the time being, recharge time and battery capacity are significant limitations for EV's (at least in the overlanding, 4x4 and long haul applications). I see hydrogen fuel cell and hybrid power plants as more viable options for the immediate future. And quite honestly, I think most car manufacturers who aren't busy trying to showboat their stocks into higher valuations (ahem...Tesla) have a similar perspective going into the future. Some CEO's have even said as much: EV technology has a lot of hurdles to overcome, whereas hybrid and hydrogen may be a practical solution for the short term.

rayra

Expedition Leader
GM did have a hybrid pickup ~5yrs? ago that had a nice inverter / power panel in the rear quarter panel, marketed to tradesmen, so you could run your electrical tools off the vehicle. Seemed like a good idea. But it went nowhere / went away. Kinda what gave me the idea for the 'power module' and larger inverter in the rear of my Suburban.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Certainly exciting times are on the horizon for EVs.

For the time being though, they are really only options for the daily commuter.

Something like a trip across Africa or Australia is far out of reach for EVs currently, unless some incredible battery technology is released soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-Willy

Another: Atlis claims it will deliver a 500 mile range truck with four separate wheel motors in 2020.

ATLIS_01b.jpg

David Trest

Independent electric motors for each wheel is being done for experimental electric racers all the time. It provides immediate power and massive torque to each wheel, and unlike an AWD, there's no loss or lag with a transfer case or differential. Currently it's not feasible for main production due to cost, but that'll change. It would eliminate the need for a driveline, lockers, etc.

As many have said, the biggest issue is battery capacity. A secondary motor, such as a hydrogen fuel cell, providing recharge power would supplement that greatly and is, IMO, the future of commuter EVs. The use of solar cells or even solar-active paint/body panels to actively recharge or power the motor(s) is also being researched.

blubullett

Who wants to be the first across a water crossing when the batteries short out due to a small cut in the waterproofing from the rocks on the dirt road you just drove down. Who is going to loan you a 5 gallon jerry can when your charge runs out a couple miles from the highway?

Intrigued... and have been wondering when the truck EV world would open up.... one thing though, not a truck unless it has at least a 6 foot bed....

T-Willy

I wonder if outfitting the Rivian with a smaller motor could expand its range. Seven hundred horsepower and having the torque of four semis is cool, but also excessive and needless; it'd make way more sense to swap half that power for more range, if possible.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I wonder if outfitting the Rivian with a smaller motor could expand its range. Seven hundred horsepower and having the torque of four semis is cool, but also excessive and needless; it'd make way more sense to swap half that power for more range, if possible.

That's not really how electric motors work. They are pretty efficient at partial power with respect to decreased energy usage. In actuality, they can be more efficient with partial power due to the ability to quickly pulse the electricity to give that partial power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven