6string's '01 Taco Build

1. Love the truck

2. I am so glad you came home safe, I get to go in January...lol

Thanks for the kind words, partner. I wish you well over there, too. Iraq has really turned a corner; they have tools they need to succeed now, and the place is much safer than it used to be.

Head down, chin up, eyes wide.

RMP&O said:
BTW....I like the gear net. I was going to do something like that but am running out of time before I take a big trip. Perhaps later...!

Thanks! I've really enjoyed your build, too. I don't think I've ever seen anything move so quickly with such quality! We're all learning a lot from you, so please, keep up the great posts!

Oh, and the gear net is GREAT, and it really only took about 15 minutes. Cheap, too! Check it out here.

dustboy said:
I look forward to seeing what you fab for the skids..these are on my list of to-do's for my '99.

Stay tuned! I'll be doing a write-up, I'm sure.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Interesting. I'd love to know more! I've never used Thule products and don't have any friends who do... Have you reviewed these on your build page? Do they offer a more stable platform to mount the tower/crossbars?

Thx for any info.

Well my Thule Tracks on my topper bolt through with six bolts on each side.

I have always felt that Thule made a more solid product, from towers and feet to kayak saddles. As I understand it Thule products are made for the European market and are made to a much higher quality level. At least that was the case a few years back.

I have put a lot of use and abuse on many sets of Thule products and have never had any problems.

That is just my opinion. What most people use really depends on the region, Pacific Northwest is all Yakima, East Coast is all Thule.

kweetech

Observer
I had the same problem with the thule rack tracks that came on my truck cap. Were pulling out and leaking. Into the trash they went (never like that kind of mount,,yakima or thule) Got the side mount yakima brackets that fit the raingutter towers. Big bolts, solid mount. Have had good luck with those in the past, though I don't go to crazy with rack loading (bikes, roof box, canoe/kayaks)

The Thule vs. yakima argument is a common one..each has their fans. I own a mix of Yakima (bars + towers), Thule (box) and Rocky Mounts (bike racks). Have seen too many screwed up thule bars to recommend them for heavy duty, but they fit great on my old gti.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
'Preciate it! You know that your truck has me seriously thinking about picking up a set of 80 Series wheels, some black paint, and change my mind on the 255/85s? Love the stance on that thing!!

You know I had my heart set on the KM2 255's before I went to Moab but they were out of stock so I got got a deal on the KM 285's. I'm really glad I did; aired down they conform over everything. And, it just looks better than the more narrow tires.

RSB

Adventurer
x2 on the BedRug!! mine was difficult to install since I already had the bed sprayed w/Line-X. Tried every adhesive out there to no avail. Self-tapping screws seemed to do the trick! doubles as a good floor for a rear platform :D

Token

Explorer
Great write up..

We've camped on the gravel beach on the Buffalo River a couple of times.. Great place to camp right against the water and it's free, but it's no fun setting a tent up on that gravel and then trying to sleep on it without an air mattress.. It's generally pretty crowded on weekends that past year or few as well due to all of the freeloaders who have discovered it.. Kinda of a long hike up to the bathroom in the middle of the night too..

As much as I want it, and as close as I've come to putting the money down, I just can't afford a new CBI rear bumper yet. I am remodeling an 80-year old Arts & Crafts bungalow, and I've had to funnel some of my truck budget there... for now. ;)

For the time being, I am tired of looking at my chrome factory bumper. Spray paint is cheap, and I had some time off today... So off I went:

IMG_2266.jpg

First, off with the bumper, then strip it off the various add-on plastic thingys.

IMG_2267.jpg

Next came sanding. I went with 60 grit on my random orbital. Took about 60-90 minutes after finishing nook/crannies with a sponge sanding block.

IMG_2268.jpg

I chose to hang the bumper from the garage. Worked fine.

IMG_2270.jpg

Four coats of Rustoleum Semi-Gloss later, a quick bake in the sunshine, and voila!

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2273.jpg

I REALLY want to pull the trigger on a legit bumper, but until I can free up some cash from the housework, I'll just have to be a patient man. (A patient man with new kitchen tile, that is. :D Just robbin' Peter to pay Paul, I suppose.)

One more project complete. I can live with this for now.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
What sacrifices we make to keep peace at home...

But your paint job did turn out well; looks a lot different - better!

Great write up..

We've camped on the gravel beach on the Buffalo River a couple of times.. Great place to camp right against the water and it's free, but it's no fun setting a tent up on that gravel and then trying to sleep on it without an air mattress.. It's generally pretty crowded on weekends that past year or few as well due to all of the freeloaders who have discovered it.. Kinda of a long hike up to the bathroom in the middle of the night too..

Thanks!

The BNR is where I will have my ashes spread when I die. No kidding; it's in my will. I am so connected to that area, and to Newton County in particular. It's amazing.

Oh, and an insider tip: Labor Day through Halloween, then again from March to Memorial Day. Trust me. There may be no swimming, but the fish are still biting, and generally, you'll have plenty of water for a nice, slow drift mid-river. And every gravel bar?!? Allllllll yours, buddy. (Unless, of course, you see me! ;) )

I generally try and avoid the summer madness. Just gets too crazy for me. Besides, I try and escape this oppressive Southern summer heat and escape to the western mountains where I can find some cool nights. I love my state, but HATE its summers. You can have 'em! :D

What sacrifices we make to keep peace at home...

But your paint job did turn out well; looks a lot different - better!

'Preciate ya! I've actually never seen where anyone else has done this. (Not that I've searched in particular.) I suppose I was wingin' it.

Token

Explorer
Oh, and an insider tip: Labor Day through Halloween, then again from March to Memorial Day. Trust me. There may be no swimming, but the fish are still biting, and generally, you'll have plenty of water for a nice, slow drift mid-river. And every gravel bar?!? Allllllll yours, buddy. (Unless, of course, you see me! ;) )

I gave up on fishing about the time I woulda had to started buying a fishing license.. For me it was not much more than a 007.. License to kill worms (drowning).. I'm not much for playing in the water.. Just like to go, hang out, watch the family and watch the river roll by.. Just seems to do something for my piece of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy