6string's '01 Taco Build

Hey Wes,

What did that Leer topper cost you with the same windows and yakima towers?

Thanks!

The topper was $1200 and change with the sliding windoors on each side and the fold-down rear sliding glass, single dome light, and locks. Worth every penny for the upgrades to the windoors, without question.

The rack I purchased used on eBay. I think the rails/towers/locks/crossbars were about 200ish total, but my memory may be slipping on that one.

Do not prefer my roof rack. Ready to change everything up there. I'll tell you why if you care to listen....

Do not prefer my roof rack. Ready to change everything up there. I'll tell you why if you care to listen....

I don't like the height of the 6" tall rack sitting on 4" tall bars, and I absolutely loathe the fact the everything else (the tire, the spare fuel, the various/sundry storage cases) sticks up even higher than that. It's all one huge windcatcher, and I can't say I love the appearance, either.

However, I do like the fact that I have something to mount my side and rear lights to. And I do like the fact that I have a place for firewood. And I do like the fact that I can store non-essential items in a storage case up there, leaving travel room in the shell for my dogs.

But, If I had my truck to do all over again, I'd have done that rear bumper much earlier. It might just be as important, functionally, as the front bumper has proven to be. Lesson learned. I know believe that the spare tire, one or two 5gal fuel/water cans, the shovel/axe, and the Hi-Lift all belong back there, out of the wind and down low for improved handling and ease of access. Period.

Once I FINALLY get around to putting down the cash for that rear bumper, I might get rid of the Yakima stuff, save the the now-securely-bolted-down YakTracks. Then, it's up with something low-profile, but capable of carrying firewood, 1-2 smaller storage cases, and the side/rear lights. I like the Bajarack Megamule. It's low enough to look good and not kill my gas mileage, yet just tall enough that when combined with one Yakima crossbar on Control Towers mounted over the front doors, I can carry my canoe. The bikes, however, will move onto a spare tire-mounted carrier on the rear of the truck.

Sometimes you just have to make some decisions to figure out they were not the right ones. Such is life with my BajaTaco-inspired roof rack. Just not for me.

That said, once I do finally get that rear bumper and move all that crap back to it, I might just get lazy and keep the Yak Megawarrior simply for the sake of easiness. (I'm prone to just sayin', "Ah, fk it. I'll live." .... Of course, I may just say that about the whole rear bumper shenanigans, too. ha!)

Hope this helps you in your build, bro.

skrillah

Adventurer
Great information and I can definitely see the predicament. Though, I know those rear carriers are pricey so I think the setup you have now is nice. The amount of money you are spending on gas due to the wind resistance doesn't seem enough to justify the rear carrier. That is assuming you don't keep you rack loaded everyday(except in the winter maybe). The rear carriers are bad *** functionality wise, asthetically, etc. But it would take you years to recoup those costs. Plus, with bikes on the back too, that'd be a bus!

That's the practical answer though. The carrier would definitely compliment your truck nicely and the space gained by moving the rack equipment out back would be substantial. You said it all perfectly above.

Since I am recently married and looking for a house, I'd say keep the setup and re-work the towers. If I wasn't...I'd def go for the rear carrier.

My $.02 for what it's worth.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Wes, lets work you up a new roof rack. Maybe one that is low profile with foldable sides. That way when you are not using it, it doesn't bother you so much, and when you do, it cuts a lower profile.

BTW, got your message. I'll call you back later this week.

Great information and I can definitely see the predicament. Though, I know those rear carriers are pricey so I think the setup you have now is nice. The amount of money you are spending on gas due to the wind resistance doesn't seem enough to justify the rear carrier. That is assuming you don't keep you rack loaded everyday(except in the winter maybe). The rear carriers are bad *** functionality wise, asthetically, etc. But it would take you years to recoup those costs. Plus, with bikes on the back too, that'd be a bus!

That's the practical answer though. The carrier would definitely compliment your truck nicely and the space gained by moving the rack equipment out back would be substantial. You said it all perfectly above.

Since I am recently married and looking for a house, I'd say keep the setup and re-work the towers. If I wasn't...I'd def go for the rear carrier.

My $.02 for what it's worth.

Glad I can be of help. You're at the earliest stages of your build, and it's totally the right thing for you to be doing research... the more, the better, buddy. The most important thing is to enjoy the journey, both of the travel, and also the truck. If you're anything like the rest of us, it'll become an extension of your personality, and after myriad outfitting choices, you'll eventually find a piece of yourself within it. Very fulfilling.

Honestly, I don't know if I'll ever get around to finally doing that rear bumper et al. I'm like 90% functionally/aesthetically satisfied with my truck right now, and it goes, literally, everywhere I need it to.

Maybe it's just time to start saving for that little 40 acre slice of heaven up in the mountains myself and the fairer half have been dreaming about. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know if I'll ever get around to finally doing that rear bumper et al. I'm like 90% functionally/aesthetically satisfied with my truck right now, and it goes, literally, everywhere I need it to.

Maybe it's just time to start saving for that little 40 acre slice of heaven up in the mountains myself and the fairer half have been dreaming about. :)

Hmmmm.....

Wes, lets work you up a new roof rack. Maybe one that is low profile with foldable sides. That way when you are not using it, it doesn't bother you so much, and when you do, it cuts a lower profile.

BTW, got your message. I'll call you back later this week.

Then again, that rear bumper would give me an exceptional excuse to build an amazing and totally custom Roofrack-by-Leary. :victory:

After all, I'll need that roof space free for hauling lumber up to the mountains to build my cabin! :victory: :victory:

Holler anytime, Mike.

Token

Explorer
Wes.. I've got a MegaMule.. While I prefer it ove rth old Surco rack I had, it is by NO MEANS a low profile rack..

However.. Check out the BajaRacks for a RTT.. The lack of sides brings the profile down a bit..
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=868

Use the rear mounts to attach to your shell, chop the front mounts off or find another way to support it and let it extend the rack over your truck cab to put lightweight stuff on.. Just a thought.. To much hangover may cause to much vibration though and cause issues though..

Not sure if Gobi might have a fitment that would work for you or not.. They've got a low profile stealth rack.. Kinda high $$$$ though..

Aww, damnit, Leary. Now you got me thinkin' again...

**Pouring another cold one.**

Something like the Front Runner, made to cover the entirety of my shell, I've always thought would be ideal. Very low profile, yet large enough to fit everything I need, in any circumstance. And let's not forget: endlessly flexible regarding configuration... I mean, hell, it's one big blank canvas waiting to be painted with gear.

2515.jpg

Mount like this, maybe, only with four points for weight distribution but no cheapas$ Yakima stuff?

rack-towers.jpg

Outer

rack-insideplate.jpg

Inner

In my mind, I see custom plate-steel mounts welded directly to the rack, similar to the FR factory rack design.... all one piece, of course.

Moving on...

The foldable sides you mention... I like your concept of, "There when you need me, not when you don't." But what I really need is some height on the front and rear of the rack when I carry the canoe, not so much on the side, though. So follow me here: what if there was, on each of the four corners of the flat rack, a piece of vertically-oriented, square steel tube? It would be open to the sky, flush to the rack surface, and about 3" deep. (Roughly the height of the rack) It would be the female side of this type of union:

square_tubing_hi.jpg

Then, a male side would drop into each corner, secure via locking pin, and rise about 6"-8" above the level of the rack. The two males on the front of the rack would connect via a crossbar welded into place, much the way a Yakima crossbar works. Same for the rear. Then I could lay a boat across it!

There's my canoe rack, simple, cheap, secure, and quick to get in and out. And without the canoe crossbar in place, I have a roofrack capable of carrying the side and rear lights daily, but bombproof in the event I really need to load it heavily.

Now, time to study metal options to find the best strength/weight combo!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Token

Explorer
But what I really need is some height on the front and rear of the rack when I carry the canoe, not so much on the side, though.

I don't know but I'm picturing some carpeted 4x4's straped onto the front and rear of that flat rack to hold the canoe.. Could even notch them to the width of the canoe to keep the canoe from sliding left and right..

I don't know but I'm picturing some carpeted 4x4's straped onto the front and rear of that flat rack to hold the canoe.. Could even notch them to the width of the canoe to keep the canoe from sliding left and right..

The simple answer does the trick! I love it, Rob!

Now to check the calendar to find a weekend to actually DO this project!

Ya know something else I wan to do, guys? Remember that landslide on Richland Creek Road, near where we camped last spring? It's STILL not been cleared by the USFS. I bumped into a guy who is surveying landslide reroutes and ice storm damage for the Ozark Highland Trail Assn, and he says that the forest service has no money allocated to clear that road for years to come.

I wonder, if I posted a new thread for a "works project" this winter, would people come in for a weekend, shovels and chainsaws in hands, and reclaim that road....

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
The simple answer does the trick! I love it, Rob!

Now to check the calendar to find a weekend to actually DO this project!

Ya know something else I wan to do, guys? Remember that landslide on Richland Creek Road, near where we camped last spring? It's STILL not been cleared by the USFS. I bumped into a guy who is surveying landslide reroutes and ice storm damage for the Ozark Highland Trail Assn, and he says that the forest service has no money allocated to clear that road for years to come.

I wonder, if I posted a new thread for a "works project" this winter, would people come in for a weekend, shovels and chainsaws in hands, and reclaim that road....

I would be down for a road reclaimation on a weekend or two!

Paul with Equipt showed me the Front Runner Rack out in Hollister. I was impressed, especially by the sliding anchor points in the cross bars. Makes just about anything possible. One drawback... its too wide for your truck (49" or so).

soonenough

Explorer
...The foldable sides you mention... I like your concept of, "There when you need me, not when you don't." But what I really need is some height on the front and rear of the rack when I carry the canoe, not so much on the side, though. So follow me here: what if there was, on each of the four corners of the flat rack, a piece of vertically-oriented, square steel tube? It would be open to the sky, flush to the rack surface, and about 3" deep. (Roughly the height of the rack) It would be the female side of this type of union:

square_tubing_hi.jpg

Then, a male side would drop into each corner, secure via locking pin, and rise about 6"-8" above the level of the rack. The two males on the front of the rack would connect via a crossbar welded into place, much the way a Yakima crossbar works. Same for the rear. Then I could lay a boat across it!

You may have already ditched that idea in favor of the carpeted 2x4s, but in case you did want to do something like you described, you could look into using Unistrut. That stuff is designed to be endlessly configurable and would probably work well if you incorporate some of it into the base rack that would live on the truck all the time.

You may have already ditched that idea in favor of the carpeted 2x4s, but in case you did want to do something like you described, you could look into using Unistrut. That stuff is designed to be endlessly configurable and would probably work well if you incorporate some of it into the base rack that would live on the truck all the time.

Oh, wow. I like that. A lot. It seems that it would be too easy to create one's own Front Runner-style rack. Rigid, yet lightweight and endlessly customizable. Almost, too easy...

So what's the downside to building the entire thing from Unistrut?

Okay, a quick Google search shows a ton of folks making roof racks from Unistrut. I think this will take some investigating, but I'm interested....

Thanks for that heads-up, Ryan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy