6x6 defender off road camper build

Apdl

Observer
This is one of the best builds I have yet to see!
Fantastic work
You mentioned South America to Canada, are you sure you can get that thing in to the US?

Jitterbug

Adventurer
You mentioned South America to Canada, are you sure you can get that thing in to the US?

I haven't looked that closely at this, I always thought as a tourist you can bring anything over for a short period, that has been the case with everywhere else I have been.

I have been fixing a few teething problems on the truck (leaking fuel tank, blown exhaust manifold gasket), and I have a couple of bits to bolt on but all in all I am loving it although it isn't getting used as much as I would like.

ae810d414de33f19d80a3e4e1eea9684_zpsddd39088.jpg

Here it is on a test run over to North stradbroke Island. You could feel all 4.5t of it in the soft sand and with the exhaust leak it was down on power but it still performed admirably. It took me a few goes initially to judge how much run up and what gear I needed to be in but it didn't get bogged so I am happy!

Couple of new toys; military tool brackets for bonnet mounted axe, shovel and pick, and a 17000lb dual motor Sherpa4x4 winch (for which I need to make a custom bar to replace the battered old one on at the moment).

760781076fc7c49ef06ef8d6b1edaa44_zps9c1e7b39.jpg

9ca02e45361a613aa541319bf8b1e479_zpsa026199f.jpg

Red90

Adventurer
Yes. No problems bringing in the truck as a tourist on a temporary permit. It is the same with all countries. You need the correct paperwork.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That is awesome. A guy across the street from me has two landys. a 2 door and a 4 door, I guess they are 110s? im not up on them. The 6x6 with camper takes the cake. AWESOME!

Jitterbug

Adventurer
It has been a little while since the last post, I have got a few of the finishing off jobs done and refined a couple of other things. I have been out in it a few times, including a week over new year, but not nearly enough!

Here are a couple more pics to keep things moving along!

The recovery tools are all mounted up in the bonnet and ready for action:

8FD8BD9C-1BCD-4700-97F6-3067D63BF17B_zpsdp5pusmu.jpg

And I am part way through modifying my old tubular winch bar off the 90 to take the new winch and bolt up to the 6x6 chassis. The new bar doesn't stick out anywhere near as much as the old which is good. The winch is the dual motor 'mule' from a friends 4x4 parts business, Sherpa 4x4, 17000lb, 12.6hp and 45m rope, should be able to pull the heavy truck out when I get bogged!

F994C374-42D8-455A-B502-6727FA9BFB38_zpsusmqvreu.jpg

2F425A4C-E3AC-4E54-8260-D5435A4FA415_zpsr4lpg4fg.jpg

Other than that I have sorted out the leaking fuel tanks, changed the interior reading lights by the bed (they were in a terrible spot and we both kept head butting them when sitting up in bed). We have made a start on the final bit of interior trim and I fitted some little wheel arch extensions to stop the mud flicking up as much!
Still a lot to do before it is ready for the trip but it is mainly just the small finishing off and comfort jobs.

3C7CB8D1-D068-419C-B29B-F6ED79E774ED_zpsxbiodhwl.jpg

And finally, testing out the flex
D0EA84D8-7BE6-4DE5-9B25-BD624D5D938D_zpsxmhcuiwh.jpg

EE6A6C5D-A082-4C27-B52E-42D8371C760E_zpsll1xhccb.jpg

Last edited:

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
I just read the entire thread..... Amazing build! And I have to know, what is the pups name? Its not camping without man's best friend.

Jitterbug

Adventurer
I just read the entire thread..... Amazing build! And I have to know, what is the pups name? Its not camping without man's best friend.

Thanks! That is Murphy, a rescue dog we got a few years ago, he has probably spent as many hours working on the truck as me!

I took the truck out last weekend and discovered a small oversight of mine with the front suspension... Not spring retainers, top or bottom. I was doing a bit of a hill climb, crawling up nice an slow is Low 2, with the masses of grip from the 6 wheels and torque from the 4bd1t. I lifted the drivers side front wheel on the uneven terrain and the spring completely fell out. On to the ground, leaving me sitting on my bump stop! After a bit of head scratching we were able to get it back in by driving the opposite wheel up a mound, lifting the spring-less wheel off the ground and my mate holding it in place as I slowly drove back to put weight back on that side! This happened two more times as I made my way back off the track, by the third time it barely held us up for a minute!

Other than that, I was very impressed with the truck off road, the terrain we went on was as difficult as I would want to take an overlanding truck this size on. I didn't need any of the cross axle diff locks, even with one wheel in the air, there are 5 more pushing you along and there was heaps of grip on the dry dirt. The old girl creaks and groans a bit in the suspension and, when one wheel hits a pot hole you hear the clunk but don't feel it as the load sharing set up and long wheel base level things out, this is a bit disconcerting but I am getting used to it!

I didn't get any pictures of the difficult tracks or the spring falling out unfortunately but here are a couple of others from the day:

Last edited:

Jitterbug

Adventurer
Any updates on this? :)

Hi Michael, no real updates at this point.

We did a big trip down to sydney earlier in the year and into the blue mountains, the little diesel heater did great. We did have a breakdown on the way home from a flogged out ball joint which took some bushes with it but managed to limp to a garage battling the speed wobbles every 1km or so!

I am trying to use it as much as possible and fix up all of the little things. Some wiring to do before the Christmas break and a few other little jobs for a 10 day get away. I will do a short trip report for it and get some interior shots.

I read all of your blogs on your travels in your 6x6 when I first bought my truck and it was still a wreak, great motivation for the build and our big trip!

I have been posting a few pictures up on instagram @ourexcellentadventures if you want to have a look.

Just read this... VERY COOL.

Thanks, we are loving using it. Counting down until we get over to the states!

rangierover

Great read up and would love to have this camper! I drive a isuzu 110 and am having trouble finding wheels which are tubeless and heavy duty. The ones on yours look great. Any info on them would be appreciated as I have no idea where to buy them from
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk