7.3 PSD Questions (sorry should introduce myself....)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you find the right truck with a 7.3L. And it has tons of blow-by and is worn out. It's still likely a good buy if you talk them down to a decent price. Just factor it into your budget. You HAVE to have $2200 extra sitting around if you buy a Ford with a 4r100. Because it will need rebuilt eventually. It's not a bad trans at all, one of my favorites in fact, but a rebuild to something better at 100k miles is likely in the snow belt. Florida trucks obviously last longer between builds. (no wheel spin)
-
The 7.3L Ford and 5.9L dodges are worth rebuilding. As long as you know a reputable shop that doesn't charge dealer prices. My rebuilder just charges a flat rate for all decent diesels, and a little extra for vans. It's reasonable as long as you have patience, cheaper rates usually mean much longer downtime. But his yard looks like a junk yard and scares the heck out of me. Complete opposite of a clean white engine room. But his results don't lie. Still, it's going to be over $5k.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks for all the great info, I passed on that particular truck but have not ruled out a diesel, I miss my 97 everyday and would love to find another but DAMMMMMN they are at a premium for a good specimen!!!!! I also loved my 06 Cummins, but my pockets are not that deep any longer, graduate school is not cheap:Wow1: hoping to recoup not that I have graduated but silly me already looking for a post doc fellowship :ylsmoke: Something will come along and at this point I am past the urge to push and will sit back and wait.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
There is some knowledge here, but you would be good to head over the FTE and pick the brains of those guys. They really know their stuff.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
My father has a '98 F350 7.3 and got over 850,000 miles from the original motor before an injector tip broke off and trashed one of the cylinders. A compression check showed that the other cylinders still had great compression. The motor had never been opened up, still had the original turbo and most of the miles were from heavy towing. I think he was up to his third tranny if memory serves me correct. He dropped another used 7.3 in it and is just shy of the million mile mark. If they are taking care of, they can have a long life span.

Hope you have a good move to my neighborhood!

BBslider001

Diesel Head
My father has a '98 F350 7.3 and got over 850,000 miles from the original motor before an injector tip broke off and trashed one of the cylinders. A compression check showed that the other cylinders still had great compression. The motor had never been opened up, still had the original turbo and most of the miles were from heavy towing. I think he was up to his third tranny if memory serves me correct. He dropped another used 7.3 in it and is just shy of the million mile mark. If they are taking care of, they can have a long life span.

Hope you have a good move to my neighborhood!

Um, they didn't produce a 7.3 or any other diesel in '98. May wanna check again.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I have had 3 2000 Powerstrokes (F250, F350 & F550)

I would do a compression test before buying it, that will save a lot of possible future headache

a 2002 has PMR connecting rods which are known to let loose. Also the 2002 had some transmission issues.

Do they have the maintenance records or repairs records available? (personally I never buy a used truck without all the records)

At that mileage things start wearing down & need replacing, of course its a case by case scenario though.

a really common thing is the under valve cover harness goes bad about every 100k, has that been replaced?

have the front end components been replaced?

Alternator
Injectors
turbo
HPOP
power steering pump

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Um, yes they (Ford) did... May wanna check again... Old body style, non-Powerstroke, but still a 7.3.

Ford didn't produce diesel pickups in '98. They sold the '97s until the beginning of 1998, then the '99s were released.

What instantkarma said. I don't know much, but have been driving PSDs since '97. I promise you they didn't produce one in '98. I waited anxiously for one back then and the new ones didn't hit until '99. If you are sure, post a photo of a '98 Ford diesel truck. That would be cool to see what I missed. In fact, the '98 F-250 was a poor excuse of a truck with a 7 lug wheel. It looked no different than an f-150. Those they did produce in '98. They sucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad