7.3 PSD Questions (sorry should introduce myself....)

Jb1rd

Explorer
Hey all, new to this forum in EP been hanging around the Van forum as I had a Sprinter and now shes gone snif snif!! Was dead set on a 4x4 van but $$$$$$$$$ has shifted my wishful thinking GD are those things expensive. Any rate I have had many P/U and my last PSD was a 97 CC LB that I loved dearly. My question is this I found a 2002 PSD 4x4 CC LB here in Florida with 247k on the clock the body is a bit rough but that does not concern me as it will probably get beat up more any way but the asking price is $5400 and with ya'lls help I think I can get it down to $4500 I noticed a bit of soot at the turbo hose and won't really know whats what until the engine gets a good detailing. Should 247K concern me? What else should I be looking for? Any insight would be great! Edit: its a 2002 not 2000,

bluetruck.jpgbuildsheet.jpgengine.jpgleak.jpgleak2.jpgsoot.jpg

my other option is a 2003 F150 super crew lariat 4x4 which I also had one before I moved to Florida and sold when we got here to help pay for school. I am finished with school now and moving back to Vail and want/need a 4x4 again. I know they are totally different beasts but the searching has now gone all over the place realizing that a 4x4 van is a bit out of reach until I build up my practice and make a bit of money after hemorrhaging money for school the past 4 years :(

Cheers,
Jason

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 150SC.jpg
    150SC.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
2000 makes it a super duty how's the tranny. Do all the gauges work them can have a gem module problem. Other wise there a good truck turbos don't have a lot of problems.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have about the same milage on my 7.3 and it's running well. The engine should be able to go to 500K if it's well maintained.

Replacing the seals in the turbo isn't to bad a job, replacing it with a rebuild balanced unit would be the answer if it's more than seals.

It's a good price for the vehicle if it's running in reasonable shape.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Check the valley between the heads for the source of the oil leak. If you have a bright flashlight you should be able to check the seals on the bottom of the turbo. Turbo leaks are seen at the back of the valley. Leaks at the front of the valley are usually from the high pressure oil system.

Diesel O Rings is a great source for all your seals.

Ford Truck has a great article on removing the turbo.

The Ford specific web sites are great sources of information for the Super Duty.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I have a 2000 7.3 and it's at 213,000 now. I plan on getting it to at least 400k. I am putting about 3k to 4k per month on it since I bought it last year. All I've had to do is a clutch, a glow plug relay, and an icp sensor.

My biggest concern on that truck would be the tranny like has already been said.

Coscienceguy

Observer
I have a 2000 7.3 and it's at 213,000 now. I plan on getting it to at least 400k. I am putting about 3k to 4k per month on it since I bought it last year. All I've had to do is a clutch, a glow plug relay, and an icp sensor.

My biggest concern on that truck would be the tranny like has already been said.

Miles per month, I hope:)

I've got a 7.3 with 221k, everyone has already covered the thoughts I had, tranny, seals, and other leaks. If maintained, they'll go forever!

Let us know what you go with!

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks guys, bought the F150 for now!

Having left one rust project I couldn't see jumping right into another one. I am moving back to Colorado and the F150 will sale there in a hot second then I can search for either a 7.3 F 2-350 or E350 EB 4x4

syoungs

Just for future reference as well, at 247k miles, a 7.3 has a lot of what ifs going for it, if the previous owners didnt take care of it well, the high pressure oil pump may be on the way out the door, the injectors all could need to be replaced, itd be about due for its 2nd tranny, the front axle could need a rebuild... lots of things to go wrong on that truck, though it isnt a terrible price, you could very easy double the purchase cost with needed repairs.

the bottom end of a 7.3 is nearly indestructable, but after 2001, they went to a powderd metal rod, no good if you want to make big power. buying a high mileage diesel for expedition use is a bad idea, unless you are willing to absorb the possible major maint costs of owing such a rig, imho. fuel injectors alone will cost you 1k$+ for a rebuild, if you remove and install yourself.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Look at some of the Powerstroke forums. Lots of knowledgeable folks. Diesels are a bit of a money pit, but they are worth investing into IMHO. Love mine.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
unless you pull a trailer or need the payload, the diesel is an added expense just not worth it IMO. Modern gas motors are cheaper to maintain and really will last about as long as the diesels.

Raul B

Explorer
having owned 3 7.3Ls before i must say that unless your really going to use it for what is intended for i would opt for the f150. I love my F150 and i easily pulled my Toy Hauler last year with it.

wallace2000

syoungs hit the nail on the head, if proper maintenance was performed than everything should be fine but at that mileage if it wasn't performed you will have to worry about the high pressure oil pump (HPOP) and injectors. I have the 6 speed so i cant speak on the transmission. The Generic Electronic Module (GEM) is an important thing to check though. Test all of the power accessories on the truck, including electronic shift-on-the-fly if the truck is equipped. The GEM is a pain and expensive if you need to replace it, if the truck has any electrical oddities be sure to have the GEM looked at and if it seems to be a problem get the seller to drop the price around $1K if you plan to have it serviced at a dealership. Personally i think the 7.3 is a great investment especially if you plan on having it for a long time. Mine has 255,XXX miles on it and the last 55,xxx since i got it the truck has been running over 400hp and on 37" tires and the only problem i have had in the under valve cover harness (UVCH) which is an easy fix if you search the powerstroke forums for it: heres a link for that if you ever need it - http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/951027-50-cent-mod.html

Hope this helps

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
the oil and dirt residue on the boots is normal to the stock boots. like everyone said check the transmission out well. remove the engine oil fill cap with it running flip the cap upside down on the oil fill hole if it flies up and off, the engine has excessive blow bye and was not maintained well. climb up into the engine valley and check for the leaks with a bright flashlight. oil leaks in the valley can happen at the hpop, the hpo lines, turbo pedestal, ebpv actuator rod coming out of the pedestal. I think the 7.3 is a good investment. if something isn't right hold off and wait for a better one there are a lot of them around. I have a zf6 but my dads 4r100 went out at ~100k miles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad