77 Chevy K10 Silverado

B 1000

Nothing special
haha! Hey dude! No updates just yet.. I just got back on Wednesday from the 10 day Bahama honeymoon.. Truck is still sitting without a fuel line, awaiting my next move. Luckily.. it's beginning to show "Winter" here.. so I think with the rain that MIGHT come, it could be getting a nice free wash! hah.

Hopefully I'll get back to it this weekend and can have some updates soon.

Get keys to truck - Complete
Get married - Complete
Honeymoon vacation - Complete
Build offroad/camping/overland rig - Coming soon.

I'll shoot you a text or call when we get into the next major step in the project and maybe you can swing on by and join in on the fun.

Haha. :D

Absolutely!! I'd like to see what your ideas are for the final result as well.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Absolutely!! I'd like to see what your ideas are for the final result as well.

Basically blend all of these, plus more... haha.

77chevy.jpg
0_77chevyebay_032.jpg
1109or-06+chevy-silverado-1500-plan-b+camper.jpg
5868279704_d77f99e1b7_b.jpg

Still unsure on final colors though. Not positive if I'll keep the Brown/White/Saddle or if I'll change it up.. :coffee:

Rot Box

Explorer
Love this truck. My brother had its twin--77 shortbed with the same colors. His had a built 468 (which was completely overkill lol) and you really make me wish he still had it.

I'd leave the colors they're classic :bike_rider:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Subscribed!! Like what you have done with it so far. I love taking an older dirty vehicle and spending time just getting it cleaned and tightened up! They respond well to some TLC. Looking forward to your build!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Love this truck. My brother had its twin--77 shortbed with the same colors. His had a built 468 (which was completely overkill lol) and you really make me wish he still had it.

I'd leave the colors they're classic :bike_rider:

Wow! That's a nice powerhouse.. hah. Man I wish he still had it too! I wish I could see more of these around.. But then again, I guess I could be fairly "unique" when I get mine fully rebuilt.

Thanks for the input on the colors.. I DO like them.. but the wife hates it (It might just be cause the rust and the faded parts and such.. I bet if it were CLEAN paint, she might like it more). I need more encouragement on these colors. If any of you other posters think this color combo should stay, voice your opinion. I'm on the fence.. could be persuaded either way. hah. :D

Subscribed!! Like what you have done with it so far. I love taking an older dirty vehicle and spending time just getting it cleaned and tightened up! They respond well to some TLC. Looking forward to your build!

Yeah man, there is something about these classic trucks that I love SO much. May not be as "efficient" as the new ones.. but boy are they easier to work on/build/customize and general use is pretty basic! hah. What you see is what you get! :D

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey ChevRo, I really like your truck and I think it has a lot of potential. Those old Chevys are really a cool looking vehicle and they are incredibaly solid. I look forward to watching your build and update thread and please keep us posted with LOTS OF PICS. Keep up the good work, Cheers Chilli...:)

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Hey ChevRo, I really like your truck and I think it has a lot of potential. Those old Chevys are really a cool looking vehicle and they are incredibaly solid. I look forward to watching your build and update thread and please keep us posted with LOTS OF PICS. Keep up the good work, Cheers Chilli...:)
Thank you, thank you! I'm going to try and stay diligent with the pictures as I get more and more done.

It'll be a fairly slow build though as I dont have the truck at my easy access. It lives at a shop about 5 miles from my house.. so It's usually only Fridays and occasional weekends that I get the time to wander over and play with it. But nonetheless.. I will keep you all posted. :D Thanks for the encouragement.

I am extrmely jealous! I love a old short bed Chevy!
Hehe. Thanks! They are pretty awesome trucks. I'm very excited to have one to build. Truly blessed in life. :D

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Make sure you check the Four Corners section for the Old Iron run in Feb...it would be great to have your rig out there for some camping and exploring with the rest of us folks.
It will be mild wheeling and more about the fun of hanging out and making friends than busting up our vintage rigs.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Love the truck man! I have a '78 GMC Sierra K20 that I blew the engine in a year ago, I'm just waiting for the funds to follow a bit in Larry's footsteps. Quick question tho, is that interior OEM? That looks like a way better option than putting a more modern seat/center setup in!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Make sure you check the Four Corners section for the Old Iron run in Feb...it would be great to have your rig out there for some camping and exploring with the rest of us folks.
It will be mild wheeling and more about the fun of hanging out and making friends than busting up our vintage rigs.
Ah, thank you for the invite. I'll have to look into it. I have a lot of work to do before I would have enough faith in the vehicle for such a trip. Right now I've only driven it around a parking lot. I have yet to actually get it up to any speed to see what shakes/wobbles/bursts/leaks/etc... hah. :D

Love the truck man! I have a '78 GMC Sierra K20 that I blew the engine in a year ago, I'm just waiting for the funds to follow a bit in Larry's footsteps. Quick question tho, is that interior OEM? That looks like a way better option than putting a more modern seat/center setup in!
Oooh cool! Hopefully you can get into it soon.
As for the interior.. I can only speak to what I was told. They told me it is OEM options and that this particular truck was basically a top of the line model in features upon it's creation. It's a '77 with full electric locks and windows and even has the fender for the alarm arm/disarm key. The alarm itself is no longer installed, but I have the key and the fender still has the key port to arm or disarm the alarm.

8183782781_19d82518f5_z.jpg

Again, if anyone out there happens to know if these are even stock features, I would appreciate the confirmation or correction (if I'm wrong). I can only go off of what the little bits of info that I got from the person that handed it down to me.

Thanks for the interest everyone. :D Im looking forward to getting back into the thing (hopefully this weekend). I'm currently trying to trace a small coolant leak in my daily driver, so any mechanic time/funds are now temporarily directed at the car.

Last edited:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
The seat is the only thing that doesn't look stock. Looks like unit from the likes of a van conversion company style. Even back then they did custom stuff for trucks as well as vans. I bet if you looked hard enough in some old 4x4 magazines from the late 70's you might find an ad for a seat like that.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
The seat is the only thing that doesn't look stock. Looks like unit from the likes of a van conversion company style. Even back then they did custom stuff for trucks as well as vans. I bet if you looked hard enough in some old 4x4 magazines from the late 70's you might find an ad for a seat like that.
Thanks for the input on the features. :D Definitely always up for more hints as to what I might have here.. hah.

------------------------------------------------------

As for a new update here, got some time to get out to the truck this weekend. It was raining on Friday though, so I only got about 20 minutes into working on it when all of a sudden it started pouring on me. Rain?!? In Southern CA?!? What is this nonsense? :snorkel:

So I was able to get the new stock hardline fuel line in to place to replace the rubber rigged setup the PO had that bust on me:

8260157278_30dbcb6638_z.jpg

Then, at one point from getting in and out of the truck I realized.. so, I'm 6'4 and can easily step up from the ground into the truck.. But most my other friends, my wife, basically anyone else, has trouble being that I have no steps or handles to grab onto..

So I setup a little rig on the metal molding around the headliner. I made sure everything was thoroughly mounted into the metal of the body and should hold relative decent weight as someone is climbing on up into it (or hanging on for dear life along some hectic trails..)

8236394769_2617ce3d40_z.jpg

8237463578_07d6062948_z.jpg

So next up now... While putting in the fuel line, the ground to the alternator was completely rusted on and ended up completely busting as I attempted to unbolt it all to get into the fuel line area.. So while I had the alternator completely disassembled, I found that one of the contacts on the inside was frayed and mostly separated. So I need to either replace that, or just get a whole new alternator (which might be the easiest and most cost effective option - it needs to be done anyway). :D

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Send some of that rain this way, it is drier than a bone around here. I dig those grab handles. That is the problem with these old trucks, there isn’t anything to grab onto in order to climb in. That is why the tilt steering columns are always in bad shape on these things because people use them to climb in.

Nice job on the fuel line. The rubber lines originally used on these trucks are downright scary after a few years of dry rot. Metal line from the fuel pump to the carb is the best way to go just like you did. Nice job on the bending too. Bending fuel line is like an art.

With the alternator, I would just get another. Those old 63 amp alternators are very inexpensive to pick up.

Lookin good!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Send some of that rain this way, it is drier than a bone around here. I dig those grab handles. That is the problem with these old trucks, there isn't anything to grab onto in order to climb in. That is why the tilt steering columns are always in bad shape on these things because people use them to climb in.

Nice job on the fuel line. The rubber lines originally used on these trucks are downright scary after a few years of dry rot. Metal line from the fuel pump to the carb is the best way to go just like you did. Nice job on the bending too. Bending fuel line is like an art.

With the alternator, I would just get another. Those old 63 amp alternators are very inexpensive to pick up.

Lookin good!
Haha. I was happy to see "winter" finally arrive around here. Now I'm looking forward to more sunny days. hah. :D Hopefully it does head your way..

Yeah, I found I was using the steering wheel every now and again as well and thought, this isn't the best way to do it. Thanks for the kind words.

As for the fuel line, I wish I could take credit for the bends but I ordered the part specific for the year/model of truck. Pre bent. I just had to "massage" the bends a little to get it to fit without rubbing against the side of the block. It was a slight bit off, so I had to persuade it a little. Got it setup though. :D

As for the alternator, thats my thoughts too.. They seem to be relatively inexpensive, so might as well spring for a new one so I dont have to worry about this old one just burning out in 6 months anyways..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad