8' truck camper, no cab over

UHAULER

Explorer
I didn't read every post in this thread so I may have missed something but why don't you just use the box that is on the truck and convert it using the parts from the free trailer ? It would seem easier and cleaner and there is plenty of room to build a motorcycle garage in the front.

I look forward to following your project as it progresses.

lstzephyr

wanderer
There was some talk about hitch carriers so I thought I would give my two cents. I really prefer to have the bike "inside" or in the truck bed as much as possible. Its more secure, I worry about the bike less. But I do really like my hitch carrier, its easy to load, much smaller and easier to park/turn than a trailer and is surprisingly stable. It does wiggle around a bit and I would definetly recommend a triple hitch setup(three bars to hold the bike). I'm usually carrying a fairly heavy dirt bike at 300 lbs. I much prefer to load the hitch carrier than loading into a tall truck.

I think using a spare tire mount or something similar works better than just hanging out with all the weight on the hitch.

This
IMGP2358.jpg

As opposed to this
IMGP2976.jpg

Some things that can happen.

This bike came off the carrier at 65. It got a new bar and made the race the next day. I doubled up the straps and it wasn't an issue again in 8k miles.
IMGP2520.jpg

Snow. I would recommend a cover and mudflaps.
IMGP2540.jpg

Definetly make sure you have the weight rating to carry it. (the s10 was very close). One unexpected benefit is that the traction with the weight hanging off the back is vastly improved.

Hope that helps. I've used that carrier for a couple years now and probably something like 10k miles. I've used trailers too...I hate them but will use them if I need to carry more than a couple bikes.

IMGP2379.jpg

Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
I didn't read every post in this thread so I may have missed something but why don't you just use the box that is on the truck and convert it using the parts from the free trailer ? It would seem easier and cleaner and there is plenty of room to build a motorcycle garage in the front.

I look forward to following your project as it progresses.

I had thought about using the box, but it's not really what I want, want to keep it as small as possible. The free trailer will be pulled behind, that will be my main living unit, will park it when needed for more off-road stuff, as well as use for long term boondocking. These will be my only home, will be living on the road (or off-road!) full time.

Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
Thanks for the bike rack info, have decided that the garage idea will suit my needs best (it would have had to be front mounted).

Thanks, Kerry, wasn't sure. Some of the stuff they do here is a 'bit' different!

Benjamin, thanks! Found one in Ft. Meyers that looks promising, I will be in Coral Springs.

VicHanson

Adventurer

VicHanson

Adventurer
Safari Trek motorhome with Isuzu NPR chassis

Not ExPo vehicles but I thought it was interesting.

I just found out that there used to be a motorhome built on the Isuzu NPR chassis, called the Safari Trek, a Monaco Motorcoach brand. From what I have read the last year they were made was in 1994, after which Isuzu decided to stop supplying the chassis.

Here are a couple of examples:

A 24' 1994 for sale for $21,000
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/1524163783.html

Safari Trek int..jpg Safari Trek.jpg

A 27.5', 1991
http://safari-trek.blogspot.com/

VicHanson

Adventurer
I found another Shadow Cruiser truck camper on Craigslist in Fort Meyers, FL about 5 days ago, the pics looked good but only two small one that really didn't show much. The price was $1800 and I don't want to spend more than $1500. I decided to wait until after Christmas and see if the price came down any. I figured he probably wouldn't get much action on it until after Christmas. I called him this morning and he still has it, said he had lowered the price to $1500!! An answer to my prayers! I have a cousin who lives there, he is checking them out for me. I called him and he said he would go look at it. I called the seller back and he said he would hold it for me, and not sell it to anyone else before my cousin checks it out. Hopefully it will be a good deal and by tomorrow I will have my camper!

Attachments

• $1800 Shadow Crusier 1.jpg
    $1800 Shadow Crusier 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
I have a camper!

Just talked to my cousin and they were loading MY camper on his truck to take it to his place. :wings:

I was going to wait until I got back to start a build thread, but I'm having trouble waiting now. So..., I will probably start that soon, but I will be doing it on the Mitsubishi Fuso page, which was recommended as the best place for it.

Vic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven