'84 CJ7 Expo build

korisu56

Adventurer
Hey folks, lurker here. I'm building my CJ7 to be a decent all around overlander. I won't be making crucial cross-continental adventures, but I will be attempting a 3 week trip in a little over a year. I have several small ones planned to build up experience and stock equipment needs.

Platform:

1984 CJ7
-4.2l (converting to 4.0 head to get fuel injection)
-Dana 300 Twin Sticked
-T5 Trans
-Dana 30/AMC 20 (open/open)

Modifications as of now:
-Belly Up
-Aftermarket rollcage
-Front bumper with grill hoop and recovery points
-Rear bumper tied in with recovery points and hitch receiver.
-Bench seat w/ harnesses
-CB setup

Proposed/Projected:
-Roof rack (obvious with jeep's space issues)

I'm open to ideas and my next few posts will be a c&p of my build thus far.

korisu56

Adventurer
Start point:

4681_1141732390905_1455316519_30359600_1951307_n.jpg

4681_1141732670912_1455316519_30359607_1858016_n.jpg

korisu56

Adventurer
Cage was first to go. Refuse to wheel with my wife and dogs with crappy OEM roll bar. Found a steal and jumped on it.

6420_1167158506542_1455316519_30444917_2474443_n.jpg

6420_1167158386539_1455316519_30444914_2140963_n.jpg

korisu56

Adventurer
Installed a bench seat because of its overall better comfort and natural barrier for puppies. Maintained adjustablility and fold feature. Ugly, but does the trick and when I can pony up for a good custom cover, will do.

CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0451.jpg

korisu56

Adventurer
I like the simple front bumpers. I got a grill hope for rollover protection and recovery points up front. Rear has recovery and is tied-in to the frame to counter weak rear crossmember.

CIMG0428.jpg

CIMG0430.jpg

CIMG0436.jpg

CIMG0437.jpg

korisu56

Adventurer
Belly up is by far one of the best things I've done. SOOO much more clearance and a better piece of mind. Has a rear cross member that holds up the tranny/tcase. Therefore I can drop down the plate without having to support the drivetrain.

CIMG0443.jpg

CIMG0442.jpg

shamus275

Mountain Valley Customs

I could be wrong but those bumpers look like the work of Rob and Damien...Good, choice if that's where you had them done!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
1984 CJ7
-4.2l (converting to 4.0 head to get fuel injection)
-Dana 300 Twin Sticked
-T5 Trans
-Dana 30/AMC 20 (open/open)

I'm open to ideas and my next few posts will be a c&p of my build thus far.

For ease, reliablility and horsepower, I would get a donor cherokee and drop the whole motor and tranny in. With a just a head conversion, you have to rig a cps in your existing bell housing or buy an expensive part to fit the front of the crank. I think you get more HP from a 4.0. If you go ODBI, I can help you with the wiring

korisu56

Adventurer
I could be wrong but those bumpers look like the work of Rob and Damien...Good, choice if that's where you had them done!

It's 100% correct. They also did the belly up and the bench. I come up with what I want and they build it. At my last duty station I had a shop on post I could work at, alas that is no more. I have to pay for the silliest of jobs, so I just have them knock out everything.

korisu56

Adventurer
For ease, reliablility and horsepower, I would get a donor cherokee and drop the whole motor and tranny in. With a just a head conversion, you have to rig a cps in your existing bell housing or buy an expensive part to fit the front of the crank. I think you get more HP from a 4.0. If you go ODBI, I can help you with the wiring

It's funny that you mention a XJ motor. I actually have a lead on a complete one from a '92 that is HO with harness. We'll see what MVC says as far as cost of the 4.2/4.0 combo. I like the combination idea of utilizing the benefits of both motors.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
very cool. I'd rock a cj, if i didn't have 3 kids. with the three of you, you should be just fine as far as gear.

I'd recommend a drawer system that slides out below a platform that the dog can sit on. you can put lease/harness mounts on the platform and pad it for your furry friend.

Roof racks are a personal choice, i've found, but check out the Bajarack line that's sold by SierraExpeditions. Its light, strong, and aerodynamic for sure. with that taking your light bulky stuff, and maybe a swing away holding your water supply, you'll probably have a good amount of room inside for food, kitchen, etc...

Good luck, and nice rig so far!

korisu56

Adventurer
I will definitely check out their rack. The drawer system doesn't sound like a bad idea. As of now, most of what I need stored in drawers (recovery/tools) is stored in bags and rides almost under the bench. I can take pics if you want of that, but my rollcage elevates the seat of the floor, so if I'm creative I can use that entire area as my "drawer". I will just secure whatever I store there to the roll cage and call it good. We'll see. :)

korisu56

Adventurer
Also, I ordered a 5 gallon water jug and holder from okoffroad.com. I was thinking of drilling the can holder just inside the tailgate so all I'd have to do is drop the gate for water. Thoughts?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Also, I ordered a 5 gallon water jug and holder from okoffroad.com. I was thinking of drilling the can holder just inside the tailgate so all I'd have to do is drop the gate for water. Thoughts?

okoffroad is a great site. I like how all their prices are "out the door" prices, with shipping included...

that seems like a solid plan. When you flip down the tailgate. voila, there's the water. And when the water is stowed, the tailgate is securing it in a sustainable way. (Sitting on the floor,as opposed to hanging 40ish lbs off the outside of the tailgate, if I'm picturing your setup correctly)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal