86 Pickup Build up

SierraExplorer

Grim Reaper said:
Bonus points for the creative use of Unistrut! :clapsmile

Haha thanks. :ylsmoke: I have quite a bit left over from work so it was free. About the winch I'm still not sure. There's so many good ones from Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey's, and Tmax it's hard to make up my mind. I suppose i'll think about it more when I get the bumper actually on. I need to paint it still. :violent-smiley-031:

SierraExplorer

Didn't really do much work on the truck this weekend due to the weather, but I did get a chance to do a little trail testing on what i've done to it so far. I found that my shell has leaky windows on it. How do i go about fixing that? Other than that everything went fine.

Toyota1.jpg

Toyota2.jpg

Toyota3.jpg

:ylsmoke:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
SierraExplorer said:
I found that my shell has leaky windows on it. How do i go about fixing that? Other than that everything went fine.

I had a similar problem with a shell on a different truck a few years back. Clear caulked around the edges inside and outside fixed it.

Nice new pics. Nevada reminds me a lot of Wyoming.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Truck lookin' good!

For the leaks............if it were me..........

I would first try "Silicone Sealant" .....(the easy way out, Home Depot sells it).

You can get it in Clear......White.......Black.

Depending exactly where it is leaking, you can prolly match up pretty good.

robert

Expedition Leader
Looks good- here's a minor suggestion: put some carpet in the front of the bed. Rolling over in the middle of the night and putting your arm up against freezing cold metal is not a fun way to wake up. :eek: It may just be my imagination, but I think having that cold metal near my head was also sapping body heat; I slept better when it was covered.

I miss my old Tacoma....

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Good looking truck.

You are more than welcome to attend a Battle Born Cruisers of Northern Nevada meeting. There is a meeting tomorrow night at the Round Table Pizza in the Old Town Mall on South Virginia and Peckham. Pretty good mix of crawler and explorers. Great bunch of guys.

Jack

SierraExplorer

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep that carpet addon in mind. :) What time is this meeting? And the old town mall is the one next to the Atlantis right?

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
SierraExplorer said:
Here are the updates.

Sleeping area complete: (till I think of something else)
Build6.jpg

Surco Safari rack:
Build7.jpg

Build8.jpg

Build9.jpg

That ended out the weekend. Unfortunately I found some cooling lines that went bad so I have to replace them before I can move the truck again. Oh well. :)

I was really trying to avoid a roof rack but I think I am stuck with one. Its roof rack or rack on the back. That looks like a good size. You happen to know the length and width?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
SierraExplorer said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep that carpet addon in mind. :) What time is this meeting? And the old town mall is the one next to the Atlantis right?

Sorry about that, the meeting starts at 6:30 pm. And yes it's the one next to the Atlantis. Just look for the Toyota's in the parking lot. Hope you can make it.

Jack

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice build up. My first Toyota (which was also the first new vehicle I ever purchased!) was an 85 (last of the solid axles!) Unfortunately, in 1986 I got a little excessive while off roading and rolled it. Truck was totaled and I had no wheels for almost 3 years (though to be fair I went back into the Army right after that and then I was in Germany, so I didn't really need a vehicle to get around.)

The thing I remember about that Toyota (mine was a regular cab with a Glasstite shell) was that it had decent power, though not excessive, and it got pretty damn good gas mileage, in the 25mpg range. The trucks of today are bigger, more comfy and have more amenities like AC, 6 speaker stereos, power steering (I'm pretty sure my 85 didn't have that) and nice, powerful V-6 engines, but they also suck down a lot more gas.

SierraExplorer

The Surco Rack is 45in wide and 50in long. The come in other sizes as well. I got mine through http://www.summitracing.com for around $170.

It's funny that you bring up the power with the motor. Mine is pretty gut-less right now when completely loaded. I swore up and down i wouldnt touch the engine performance, but now i'm gonna cave. Any suggestions on how to bump up the power on 22RE without slicing the wallet?

I'll also have picture up later today of my Quick-Fist application for my jack. :p

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
SierraExplorer said:
The Surco Rack is 45in wide and 50in long. The come in other sizes as well. I got mine through http://www.summitracing.com for around $170.

It's funny that you bring up the power with the motor. Mine is pretty gut-less right now when completely loaded. I swore up and down i wouldnt touch the engine performance, but now i'm gonna cave. Any suggestions on how to bump up the power on 22RE without slicing the wallet?

I'll also have picture up later today of my Quick-Fist application for my jack. :p
My buddy has one about the same size for sale. Have to check with him see if he sold it.
Did you notice any loss of power on the hwy? I am thinking of putting something like you see on the Yamika racks to try to clean up the air flow.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
SierraExplorer said:

I think there are a number of sources for powering up a 22r motor. As the greasy old mechanic said in "Mad Max", "Speed's just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?"

But I can't help but think that a lot of our perceptions on what is "underpowered" are based on expectations rather than on actual needs. When I was a kid we had a VW bus and we would take long distance family road trips in that thing. I think the engine was about 65hp, (roughly the same as my 500lb motorcycle.) Of course the thing was "gutless" compared to the V-8 equipped station wagon we traded in on the VW, but we accepted the tradeoff (this was in '74 right after the first gas crisis.)

Going back even farther, the Jeeps of WWII had, IIRC, 60hp motors, and the Dodge 3/4 ton trucks (which weighed 5,000# empty) had about 90hp. Yet, they were able to move around just fine.

Obviously, the WWII experience isn't an exact parallell, since they didn't have to worry about keeping up with traffic on 80mph freeways, but the point is that plenty of people around the world get by with 100hp or less in their motors and it doesn't keep them from being able to travel. They may not have that neck-snapping accelleration that we love in the US, but then again, neither do they have that wallet-draining MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online