'93 Suburban - Chillin' Out!

TheOtherSide

Observer
GREAT truck,I was just wondering if a winch ( or 2 ) and a full size spare are in the plans ??

I posted up the future plans... which talk about a winch when I win the lottery or something....

There is a full size spare tire inside the back strapped down to the 4 tie-down hoops. When the rear bumper with carrier is done, it'll end up on the back. I never hit the trail without a matching spare.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
:Wow1:All I have to say is that you got one nice Burb there! Hats off to a guy who can do his own work, and does it well. I love your wallpaper pic. Where are your holiday pics from? Looks nice! Cheers on a great rig and keep the pics coming.:cool:

TheOtherSide

Observer
:Wow1:All I have to say is that you got one nice Burb there! Hats off to a guy who can do his own work, and does it well. I love your wallpaper pic. Where are your holiday pics from? Looks nice! Cheers on a great rig and keep the pics coming.:cool:

Thx... appreciate the good words. I don't like bringing my family along unless the truck is as safe as I can make it.

Holidays were in Leavenworth, WA.... Winthrop, WA and Osoyoos, BC. So much fun with the whole family.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Nice Suburban, thanks for the link on the torsion bar re locators! Im ordering them next week!

Nice... you'll be very happy. Just an FYI... nothing moves quickly with Sam's Offroad... they took 4 days to get the order put over to realift.com who doesn't sell retail to my knowledge. I was in contact with Jeremiah from realift.com and he was great and started pre-building the adapters for me (they're made to order per application). So just be ready for a bit of a delay in the whole process.

They will need specifics on your truck, lift height and brand etc... as each adapter set is catered to the specific application.

Enjoy them...

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Subscribed....

I just got a 98 Yukon and I'm liking the direction you went. I'm also glad to see 15 inch steelies fit. I have a set of practically new studded Cooper discoverer STs 31-10.5-15 that are on 6x5.5 wagon wheels. If they will work, I won't have to worry about tires until Spring.

Dave

TheOtherSide

Observer
So... I may have lined myself up a 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 3500 pickup with a 6.5L Turbo diesel motor and a 5spd manual transmission. Would be for parts... to do some upgrades to my truck.

IF I get it and swap engine/transmission etc... I have to figure out if I need to regear back down. I'd be using the manual trans... wonder if the 4.88's would be too much even with the 35' tires. If I do the swap, I'd be keeping the IFS and 14B SF... I'm not an abuser of my vehicles, so I'm confident the equipment will hold up if driven properly. Hydro boost brakes are another good idea!!

I think the idea is great... but if I start on this project, it will never end. Then there is always the "should have just got a 3/4 ton Suburban with the diesel already in it"... but that's pretty rare to find.

Now to do some research.... :coffee:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't do it - lot of work to swap in a marginal diesel engine. Maybe just take the transmission?

I'm a gas and automatic "heretic" though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Yeah... not sure if I want to take on a big project this winter... but I'm running into a gutless truck when I pull the trailer. I get where I want to go... but it sure doesn't go there with any sort of swiftness.

Thought the 6.5T would be a fix for that.... but that is a lot of work. Maybe I'll jam some headers and exhaust on the 5.7L and see what happens.

Humvette

Adventurer
I would not want to go with a 6.5. I have one in my H1.

Go with a 6bt cummins, much much better setup for about the same cost.
M

Bullseye240

Adventurer
... but if I start on this project, it will never end. Then there is always the "should have just got a 3/4 ton Suburban with the diesel already in it"... but that's pretty rare to find.

Your right it would be much smarter to find a 3/4, 6.5 engine truck. You will need to swap out everything to include the fuel tank if it has the same one as your truck, the fuel lines, feed and return, wiring harness, electronic foot feed(gas pedal) install a PMD relocating kit or a manual injection pump, replace the factory lift pump with something more reliable, install dual batteries, oil cooler with new lines to fix the leak prone factory ones, oil filter relocation kit to fix the leaky factory 90deg mount, most likely replace the oil pressure sending unit that fails due to crappy engineering and since you will have it out go ahead and replace the injectors, timing chain with a gear drive the exhaust crossover and down pipe.

Now after all that you will have a very reliable but only slightly more powerful engine that everyone will knock every chance they get. I know all this because I have an even more rare truck; a 94 Blazer with a factory 6.5 with a 4l80E trans. I love the truck and engine but would never think about swapping one into a former gas truck. The 6.5 never was and never will be a powerhouse diesel. When stressed to it's limits, which aren't far off from stock, they can let go in a lot of different ways. But when left near stock they are very reliable after a few easy fixes.

As for the 6bt, great engine and a whole lot more torque than a 6.5 or 5.7. But it will require a SAS in order to support all that weight.

I like the look of your 'burb and you seem to enjoy it. I say keep the gas and go for a mild RV cam, long tube headers, and a new intake manifold to up your torque to where you want it. Just my .02.

Happy adventuring.:victory:

2Tracker

Nice 93

I really like what you are doing and thanks for taking the time to show us. This is my 93 2500.

Attachments

• side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 114
  • side3a.jpg
    side3a.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater