96 Discovery I - Let The Money Flow!

Yes.. let's do that....

I have seen other's build threads that put the 03/04 lights on the older Discoveries... how much of a PITA is it to do that on a Series I?

Okay, Dave from Falconworks put together a punch list of "to do"s for the Disco. I am going to address all of them in SOME fashion over the next months... but, what I would like is some help in prioritization of the list. Obviously, not all are "must do now"...some are should do sooner-rather-than-later, some are "when you get around to it" and others really are "Don't drive it until you fix that!"

I think he was fairly thorough. I added some of my thought parenthetically. So, what are your thoughts?

• No ABS MIL (probably just a missing bulb - as there IS a missing bulb and the system throws no other codes)
  • SRS MIL (air bag restraint system fault code being thrown)
  • Intermittant fan switch
  • Needs LH front seat bladder (I am looking for two tan leather seats, if anyone knows someone who has them)
  • Needs bonnet cable
  • Leaking engine fan clutch
  • Complete cooling system re-hose recommended
  • No hub end float @ RH front, too much at LH front, no hub float at rear axles -> needs hub bearings
  • Brake fluid on Discovery is "nasty", crumbling plastic reservoir -> recommend new master cylinder with complete brake fluid bleed and flush (difference between resevoir and master cylinder is about $100, so why not do both?)
  • Failing rear drive shaft coupler (My guess as to what is #1)
  • needs rear radius arm mounts
  • Exhaust system has a torn mount and broken hangers
  • Needs an automatic transmission service - fluid appears old, smells, the seal is dated 2000

sven

Adventurer
I'd definitely do the brake master , rear u joint, and all cooling system related stuff first.

The "needs hub bearings" thing is sorta funny. You can easily take all 4 corners apart and clean, inspect and repack the wheel bearings. If you need bearings, they are bearing #37 available at any parts store.

Hood cable is cheap and easy fix. Do that or else it will fail when you need it.

Next would be tranny fluid change. The rest is all secondary.

Funny story about packing bearings from my childhood...

My grandfather, a very "old school", southern, shade-tree mechanic was repacking the bearings on his old Ford truck (with the bulletproof 390, oh how I wish I still had that one). In the interest of manhood, I was watching/helping him with rapt fascination. The one thing that struck me as odd was that he was smoking a cigarette while he had a small pan of gasoline to clean the old grease off of the bearings sitting nearby.

He laughed, and told me that I could not tell my mother that he had done what he was about to do... As a kid of probably... say... 8-10... that certainly got my attention! He then went into an explanation of how liquid gasoline itself is not flammable, it is the fumes that do all of the work. He was telling me this as we were walking over to the bench where the pan was... he struck a match, lit his cigarette and then waved his hand over the pan and then quickly put the match out in the gasoline... man-o-man for a kid, there was nothing better than THAT cool trick! Then, to show me how dangerous it actually was... he lit another match... and tried it again without the hand wave... with the expected results.... explaining to me about such things as flash points, fuel/air mixtures and so forth. That was almost 40 years ago, and I remember it all like it was yesterday.

(BTW, he also reminded me that you should never rest your hand - holding a cigarette - on the battery. A fact, evidentally he had accidentally learned the hard way)

That day, I learned about chemistry, physics, automotive repair and how smart a guy who never graduated from high school could be. I actually love repacking bearings... only because it takes me back to that moment...

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Intentional Wanderer.... GV will drive you to drink... QUOTE said:
I have only spent one night in Green Valley... at the bowling alley, (NOT bowling), and yes, did we ever drink! Not fun driving through Nogales Mx at 5am with a 3 alarm hangover!:sombrero:

SeaRubi

Explorer
Not a bad list. If you find no record of it, a pre-emptive replacement of the fuel pump is never a bad idea. get on a new fuel filter regardless.

Other good words of advice I've recently been given is to order a spare brake light switch. it controls the brake lights and also the gearshift interlock solenoid. if it dies, no getting it out of park.

plugs, plug-wires and a new cap 'n rotor wouldn't hurt. also, be sure to pop in a new t-stat when you do the hoses.

If the front hubs are going to be off, it might be worth going ahead and pulling the CV's and inspecting them for wear and cracks, cleaning them out, then repacking the swivels with fresh one-shot grease.

you might also consider servicing the brake-shoes in the emergency brake.

great story about your grandfather :beer:

cheers,
-ike

High Center

Adventurer
Off topic cul de sac-

Your Grandfather sounds like a pillar. Reading your anecdote reminded me of my own Grandfather and a few other old men that I have had the good fortune to be around.

We have some big shoes to fill.

Back on topic-

Scott Brady

Founder
I have seen other's build threads that put the 03/04 lights on the older Discoveries... how much of a PITA is it to do that on a Series I?

I would leave it stock. I think the factory DI headlights with good bulbs are excellent.

My recommendation would be to focus on your repair list first. It is surprising how good the D1 is stock. Modifications should be made with care and consideration and reflect your travel goals.

Good luck with the truck!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I would think a swap to the 03/04 lights would be purely for vanity, and at a price of... probably close to $500, I guess it's up to you. I can only take Scott's word that the D1 lights are good, to which I can say the 03/04 are also good. So the purpose of the swap would be just appearance. If you want more light, work on auxilliary lights instead. I've never seen any factory headlight provide enough light that the car wouldn't benefit from some driving lights.

KMW

As a matter of introduction, my wife and I bought a '96 Disco I last week... and we have already spent more than double the purchase price on... things... not the least of which was a $93 tail light bulb holder (don't ask, it is a long story)....

If you've got room for it... since Disco I's can be found pretty cheap these days, it doesn't hurt to pick up a parts truck. Right now I'm about even on a $1k parts truck I got to support my wife's '96 five speed, and I haven't even touched the driveline yet. A great source for all those fiddly things -- light bulb holders, door handles, the hard to find piece of interior trim, on top of the occasional "big item" (we needed a new bonnet).

muskyman

Explorer
Since the master cylinder is junk and even in perfect condition the factory ABS is junk I would replace the master cylinder with a GM hydroboost unit and remove the ABS modulator all together.

I would think a swap to the 03/04 lights would be purely for vanity, and at a price of... probably close to $500

Yep, there are many better ways to apply $500 to the build. I don't know.. for some reason, I thought newer = better. It rarely does.

I did do some research into new bulbs for the stock light sockets...

...and while we are on the topic of lights, my Baja rack should be here today.. and the ARB buper within the week (damn, they are the slowest shipping company I have seen!)... so I will have multiple accesory light mounting options.

This may be in another thread, but what is the $0.05 version of which lights do you prefer... where to mount them? (i.e. deep lights on the rack and driving lights on the bumper, etc)...

I looked at the HIDs and they seem nice (Scott, you can tell any reps that your 'sponsorship' works!). The Lightforce HIDs seem to be priced right... but they do seem a bit vulnerable. I didn't see any rock shields, etc. Am I missing something? Any other light recommendations?

If I go with HIDs, should that solidify my thought about going with a dual battery system? If so.. then how about doing that before doing the lights?

I think I may have asked my quota of questions this morning! Thanks in advance for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3