96 Monty SR Build! Slowly but surely.

ZapMontero

Off-Road Newbie
Sure thing, as soon as i can get the thing running. Its been out of commission for a few months now. Engine problems, haven't had the time or money to look into it with school and all.

I've seen a few bumpers online that are similar but can be expensive and almost any that you do get with probably need some modifying. Recomend you find a welding shop that can make a custom one for you, hopefully not too expensive.

Dereksd

Adventurer
That's a shame about your monty goin out. hope you find out what's wrong though!

I have a welder I can use and would love to just take a grill guard off of an old truck somewhere and just adapt it to fit but I'm just not really good with the whole designing part of it.

Last edited:

ZapMontero

Off-Road Newbie
That's a shame about your monty goin out. hope you find out what's wrong though!

I have a welder I can use and would love to just take a grill guard off of an old truck somewhere and just adapt it to fit but I'm just not really good with the whole designing part of it.

Well if it's already made then you don't really need to design it. Just a matter of properly mounting/welding it onto the Monty. I've seen plenty of builds on here that have done that.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Yeah properly mounting stuff isn't my forte...:ylsmoke: I think I just need to work up the courage to take off my bumper and go for it.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Well I have not done much in the past month. Once I finish a large welding project i'm going to make rock sliders!:sombrero: How hard can that be right? Should be on that in maybe a month or so. Still need to do my timing belt whenever I'm not busy one weekend. Right now I'm just hangin out with the good ole Monty! Think I might try some small trails up in Austin soon. I'll be sure to post the fun!!

Dereksd

Adventurer
While at the beach Friday and Saturday I decided to stop by the junkyard to pull some goods off of a 95 SR at a junkyard. Thing was a Beauty! Probably used as a beach truck. image.jpeg got myself a new power mirror switch because mines busted, a new oh crap handle so I have all 6, some new emblems (just because they looked cool), a new shifter sleeve because mines torn and lastly a door lock actuator that's surprisingly works. Mine started messing up and would just lock back up Everytime I tried to unlock it. You'd be surprised at how much 18 dollars at a pick n pull will get you!

Dereksd

Adventurer
School welding project is over! Fabricating some rock sliders for the Monty starting today! I think I'm going to copy rocky road outfitters super sliders. Look pretty sturdy. Using 1/4" thick 2 inch square tubing and 3/16" thick 2 inch piping for the outside used as a step/block from trees and such. Should be done within the next couple of weeks.

nbishop

Observer
School welding project is over! Fabricating some rock sliders for the Monty starting today! I think I'm going to copy rocky road outfitters super sliders. Look pretty sturdy. Using 1/4" thick 2 inch square tubing and 3/16" thick 2 inch piping for the outside used as a step/block from trees and such. Should be done within the next couple of weeks.

Please post pics when complete! Thinking of doing the same...

Dereksd

Adventurer
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got the slider bars done today. Cut them 45° and measured them to fit all the way to the edge of the wheel well. Getting the arms to the frame measured out tomorrow

Dereksd

Adventurer
image.jpg
image.jpg
Got my sliders prepped and painted today. No rust on these puppies! Should be going on sometime this week or next week.

Dereksd

Adventurer
image.jpeg
Attached and tested! Used a car jack and lifted my car up off the ground with the bar. Not even a budge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC