96 Monty SR Build! Slowly but surely.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Awesome!!

Question, did you weld to the frame? I'm debating if I should weld or bolt on...weld..is a lot easier for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I welded straight to the frame. It's easier and honestly there isn't much under there I need to get to that the sliders block. The one thing with welding it to the frame though is to make sure you wire-wheel the area you are going to weld to. Made one hell of a difference in weld quality!

raysobi

Adventurer
Sliders.jpg

Yep, clean up metal surface will make welding a lot cleaner *noted*

I am also curious about your approach (please don't mind if I ask you, I am still trying to get this work myself) I made a mark on your photo, do you foreseen in the future when you go over medium size rocks and when you come down, these sections might be a problem?

Dereksd

Adventurer
View attachment 346180

Yep, clean up metal surface will make welding a lot cleaner *noted*

I am also curious about your approach (please don't mind if I ask you, I am still trying to get this work myself) I made a mark on your photo, do you foreseen in the future when you go over medium size rocks and when you come down, these sections might be a problem?
Yeah I gave that a bit of thought. I can always add on to the sliders if I need to and I was thinking of maybe welding some metal plates along it and also a bar that comes out for a step to the roof of I ever find a basket to put up there. For the time being I'm not taking the Monty anywhere insane so they'll do fine how the are now. I think it serves more of a purpose as a good jacking point to put something under the tires if I need to get out of mud for now.

Dereksd

Adventurer
image.jpg releasing tension on the power steering drive belt tensioner and this happened to the bracket. Time for a new face plate. :(

Dereksd

Adventurer
On the bright side, almost done with all my maintenance before I can start to build a little more on the adventure side.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Crisis averted, new crisis started. The bracket that cracked only helps make it easier to move the tensioner into place so we just did it the hard way and tightened it up so its all good. Then, as we were putting the radiator fan back on, one of the bolts of the four that the fan connects to cracked and came completely off. Gonna see how it runs but I'm going to get a new front plate that it's connected to because I don't want it to come off balance and trash the water pump. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
It's aluminum and they break like that when you try to adjust the tensioner without loosening the tensioner pulley first (yup did that on my first 3.5 12 years ago). You can have it welded on the truck but I suggest getting a new one and installing it at your next timing belt interval.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC