97 40th Anniv. Locked Mall Rig "What next?"

womacje

Adventurer
Ben,

Congrats again, as I said on the Equipt Facebook page. Between this site and Mud you could read long enough to never be able to drive the rig!

I went with the OME heavies and have loved them. I love my ARB winch bumper as well, the Slee bumper does look nice too. I have been running a Superwinch 12.5 for a year or more and haven't used it much, but when I did it was great, no other winch experience to compare it to though. As far as drawers go, I like the Adventure Trailer's and not just cuz they are great guys, but due to the urethane sheet materials and heirloom quality. I love the seat covers, those will be in my rig soon!

I have to say that once I'm ready and the trailer is finished, the 4x4 labs bumper from Luke will be living on my truck! I have been working on an all stainless steel kitchen system for the trailer, but it will be able to mount anywhere on slides, this may come to fruition a little late for you though. I'm not aware of the Drifta kitchens being available yet in the US. I really like Paul's drop down fridge slide, being 5'8 floor height of the truck is just high enough for me still be able to reach into my National Luna Weekender 50.

The Slee light harness and Auxilary light harness's are great products, especially now that they are using better relays. I really liked this mod

I have always mounted my RTT off the back of the LX allowing my shower room to enclose the back end of the truck and then use an awning off the side. The lift gate won't interfere with the tent and it makes a great place to store the RTT cover, between the lift gate and the tent floor.

I have the 4x Innovation sliders which can ship as a weld togther kit. If you go to thier site you may recognize the LX :victory: Great customer service.

After my last trip to Lockhart Basin I smashed the exhaust on the rock ledge at the top, having the exhaust rerouted would be a good idea, less skids needed.

PHH and a front end job are good ones to do as a PM, as others have already stated. Whats the mileage on the rig? My truck consumes oil at about the same rate as yours also, its an FZJ80 thing. I have a slight oil leak but nothing that hits the ground. 100 series pads on the front brakes and new 80 rotors when you do the Birf rebuild.

I'll stop my ramble for now and pipe up if I think of anything else.
This truck should be sweet! I'm siked to watch it come together and see the great pics that come the trips.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben,

Congrats again, as I said on the Equipt Facebook page. Between this site and Mud you could read long enough to never be able to drive the rig!

I went with the OME heavies and have loved them. I love my ARB winch bumper as well, the Slee bumper does look nice too. I have been running a Superwinch 12.5 for a year or more and haven't used it much, but when I did it was great, no other winch experience to compare it to though. As far as drawers go, I like the Adventure Trailer's and not just cuz they are great guys, but due to the urethane sheet materials and heirloom quality. I love the seat covers, those will be in my rig soon!

I have to say that once I'm ready and the trailer is finished, the 4x4 labs bumper from Luke will be living on my truck! I have been working on an all stainless steel kitchen system for the trailer, but it will be able to mount anywhere on slides, this may come to fruition a little late for you though. I'm not aware of the Drifta kitchens being available yet in the US. I really like Paul's drop down fridge slide, being 5'8 floor height of the truck is just high enough for me still be able to reach into my National Luna Weekender 50.

The Slee light harness and Auxilary light harness's are great products, especially now that they are using better relays. I really liked this mod

I have always mounted my RTT off the back of the LX allowing my shower room to enclose the back end of the truck and then use an awning off the side. The lift gate won't interfere with the tent and it makes a great place to store the RTT cover, between the lift gate and the tent floor.

I have the 4x Innovation sliders which can ship as a weld togther kit. If you go to thier site you may recognize the LX :victory: Great customer service.

After my last trip to Lockhart Basin I smashed the exhaust on the rock ledge at the top, having the exhaust rerouted would be a good idea, less skids needed.

PHH and a front end job are good ones to do as a PM, as others have already stated. Whats the mileage on the rig? My truck consumes oil at about the same rate as yours also, its an FZJ80 thing. I have a slight oil leak but nothing that hits the ground. 100 series pads on the front brakes and new 80 rotors when you do the Birf rebuild.

I'll stop my ramble for now and pipe up if I think of anything else.
This truck should be sweet! I'm siked to watch it come together and see the great pics that come the trips.

Wow Jeremy!! I have been looking for a double swing away rear tire carrier and haven't until now seen one that I like!! The 4x4 Lab's bumper looks like it will work for me. I just did the CDT with One Leg Lance in his Sportsmobile and really dug his Aluminess rear bumper that had a tire on one side and a baja box on the other. The baja box is huge for me since Beverly and I travel for up to 3 months at a time during the winter. I'm going to write 4x4 Lab's and see if they can do a Baja Box for me. If not I can get an Aluminess Baja box and just have it bolted and or welded on. Also your suggestion on using Adventure Trailers drawer system is an obvious choice for us. We have already scheduled time down in Prescott to coincide with their open house October 9th. This is when we will install the RTT, Awning and Roof Rack.
Are you sure that I can mount my new Ezi-Awn 1600 T-Top off the back of the 80? This would work for me to a "T!"

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
hey Ben glad you are loving the 80 after spending some time with it
for the laptop mount we talked about jeniko.com is a great source and honestly I liked the drill thru the floor model the best, rock solid and for $50 a great deal

your laptop is getting filled with tons of delorme & ozi maps as we speak, I am using my globalsat 353 gps puck and all is running well
I am also loading track files and waypoints from various trails in az, co & utah that you would want in the future

I-Go was the inventer I use that you saw, I really like the fact that you get a bonus usb port for charging stuff

I think there are threads on ihmud regarding switching the interior lights to LED, this is a great mod for the kind of work you do where the doors get opened alot on the trail and you want to save all the battery life you can, also you could go with a white/red setup to keep some night vision alive.

I will be sending a batch of Australian 4wd Action dvd's and a few of the mag's with your laptop so you can drool over other 80's and see some nice product maybe Equipt could bring to us in the USA

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
hey Ben glad you are loving the 80 after spending some time with it
for the laptop mount we talked about jeniko.com is a great source and honestly I liked the drill thru the floor model the best, rock solid and for $50 a great deal

your laptop is getting filled with tons of delorme & ozi maps as we speak, I am using my globalsat 353 gps puck and all is running well
I am also loading track files and waypoints from various trails in az, co & utah that you would want in the future

I-Go was the inventer I use that you saw, I really like the fact that you get a bonus usb port for charging stuff

I think there are threads on ihmud regarding switching the interior lights to LED, this is a great mod for the kind of work you do where the doors get opened alot on the trail and you want to save all the battery life you can, also you could go with a white/red setup to keep some night vision alive.

I will be sending a batch of Australian 4wd Action dvd's and a few of the mag's with your laptop so you can drool over other 80's and see some nice product maybe Equipt could bring to us in the USA

Lance,
I'm loving the 80! Thanks for the update on my GPS install. I'm ready to order the Jeniko, maybe we can install it in Phoenix October 10th or 11th?? As for the igo I need your model number. I haven't been ableto find one just like yours yet. Beverly and I can't wait to checkout the Aussie 4wd Action DVD's!!
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

womacje

Adventurer
Mounting the tent off the back should be a breeze without the Frontrunner Rack and all the mounting channels under the Eezi-Awn T-Top 1600. I'll have to check out 1leglances baja box to see what your refering to.

Lance makes a great suggestion about the LED's, I went the cheap route and pulled all my door lights and switched off my domes. This keeps my battery very fresh, and I just use the headlamp that's in my pocket or on my head.

I installed an inverter in the center console and absolutely love it! I'll see if I can find the thread for it and drop a link on here, lance's suggestion, "with a USB port" genius!!!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Spent all day Friday with Hugh at Safari Ltd.in Grand Junction, CO. Did the rear brakes so now brand new on all 4 corners, new fan clutch, all new belts with spare set now in rear chubby and installed National Luna Portable Power Pack. My question is any body using the Amsoil bypass dual filter kit on an 80??

1leglance

Well I don't have the Amsoil kit on an 80 series, but I am very impressed with the dual filter setup on the Disabled Explorers Sportsmobile. It makes filter changes a breeze and running 10k miles on oil changes (they say 15k is fine) makes the expensive oil last longer.

womacje

Adventurer
My question is any body using the Amsoil bypass dual filter on an 80?

If you do a search on mud it has been discussed over there a bit, quite a few skeptics. The 60 year old 4valve Porsche mechanic I know is running it in his truck... If he uses it, it's ok by me!

I'm getting a power pack to mount in the trailer!!!

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Nice thread you have going here Ben. I think you found the right guys to help out. I like all the ideas coming out so far. It's given me a couple ideas for the 100 too.

I would suggest going with the OME 864s and L shocks too. It's what I am running and it works really well. Remember Hole in the Rock Road at 75 mph? Smooth.

I think the 1600 will be a side open job. The only reason I say that is the compatibility with the EA Series 2000 awning. I guess we could look at building a mount for the awning that would keep it below the rack top edge. We'll have to look at it when we get to Prescott.

I am excited for you. And glad to have you join the LC fold. Smart man. :sombrero:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Had a blast at the Adventure Trailer open house yesterday, what a great time!! While there Paul May and I installed a 2.2 meter Front Runner Rack System, Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top Tent and National Luna Portable Power Pack. She is starting to feel more and more like a expedition vehicle everyday!

1leglance

what....a pro shooter who doesn't include even a camera phone pic...tragedy,pure tragedy.

Hey Ben the rig looked killer nice at the Open House, it can see how tough it will be to choose between having the tent open sideways and using the changing room and opening over the tailgate & enclosing that useful area.

I can't wait to see it with a drawer system or whatever you go with in the cargo area.

Now get rid of those running boards! :)

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Allright Lance! If it will make you happy here are a few phone quick pics from yesterday!
61d4d0ee-8b23-173a.jpg
61d4d0ee-8b35-bcc3.jpg
61d4d0ee-8b47-6b21.jpg

SanJuanCruiser

Nice pics Ben!

It's great to see you getting the goods on the truck. Nothing will help you decide what and how to build it than outfitting and putting your kit in it so you can use it.

Cheers!

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Thanks Hugh! Now go and order that OME lift kit with 864's in the rear for me and 4 new Nitrocharger Sport shocks!! Lets install it next week. After the upgrades this week my rear end is a dragging......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater