'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

chasespeed

Explorer
Been there with the shut off solenoid.... hint... check the relay before ordering a solenoid.

Second, I see front and rear shocks....what did the set run you?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

ExpoMike

Been there with the shut off solenoid.... hint... check the relay before ordering a solenoid.

Second, I see front and rear shocks....what did the set run you?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. We already checked power at the connector and the test documented in the FSM and found it bad. Should have my new one tomorrow.

As for the shocks, I picked them up from ORW for $179 each.

ExpoMike

So you learn something new every so often. As I posted above, I had issues with the fuel shut off solenoid. Having tested (and two other people) the wiring and getting the correct voltage going to the correct wires when you turn the key to either run or start, everyone figured the solenoid was bad. I ordered a new one online, getting a heavy duty version that fits in the stock location. It arrives and I go about installing it.

First interesting issue I came across. In the Dodge Ram version of the Cummins engine, the solenoid uses a 2.5" mounting spacing. On larger truck version of the Cummins, they use a heavier duty version that uses a 3" mounting spacing and weighs about a pound more. Apparently a previous owner changed out the stock mounting bracket and installed the larger version. I bought a solenoid that uses the heavy duty part but mounts with the 2.5" mount. Yep, my new part did not fit the non stock bracket. Hummm... that's a problem. I went to NAPA and they were able to find the same solenoid I had but it's a special order and $616. WOW!!! The one I had cost me $150. The company sells the stock bracket for $20 so I figured Monday I would order that.

So I started reading more and is seems that the heavy duty version almost never goes out. Hummm... interesting. So I took the "bad" solenoid and pulled the wires out of the plug and jumped them onto the battery terminals. CLICK It works! Okay, this is a wiring issue but I am showing power at the connectors. There was some corrosion where the fusible links connect to the battery. I cleaned everything up and tried again. Still no go. Well, the one other part that can go out is the relay but that seemed to work as the test light would trigger with the key.

When I bought the solenoid I also ordered a spare relay. I plugged that in and the solenoid worked perfect!!! Awesome. So what did I learn? Wires can show voltage when testing but not current. This solenoid pulls about 55 amps during start up and the relay wasn't allowing the current to pass. Can't say I have seen a relay do that before.

ExpoMike

So I got a little time to get the rear shocks installed. Fronts will take more time so I am waiting until I have a free weekend. Overall the install when well and quick. Getting the reservoir in the correct orientation on the pass. side took a little more time, due to the exhaust that routes by it. A couple pics.

Yeah, I would say these original 145,000 miles shocks were done...

PICT6140.jpg

Ah... much better!!!

PICT6141.jpg

PICT6142.jpg

thebigtiny

Hello XJ Mike

Very great Build up. There are a few more quirks to the 12 Valve cummins, I have the 24 valve that has it`s share of Quirks as well, If you are interested I could offer you a few tidbits of information about the 12 valve and the the 2nd GEN dodge that might help you!!
have a great day and please keep posting

Chris

ExpoMike

Hi Chris. Yes, please post up any info that you can share. I can always use more info as I continue to learn about 2nd Gen Rams and 12 valves. Definitely a different beast than other vehicles I have worked with.

Thanks,
Mike

ExpoMike

Well, finished up the front shock install. Drivers side was harder as the frame is not flat in the area to mount the reservoir. Made a spacer for one end of the bracket. Also removing the old shocks was a PITA as the area for the lower mount, the metal compressed some and basically wedged the lower mount on. You should have seen the bend I was putting into my prybar. :Wow1: Pass. side was much easier as I learned a lot from the driver side. I only took pics of the driver side install since the other side is basically the same. Here are the pics. :D

Old shock and inner liner
PICT6149.jpg

Chrysler's great "idea" to use plastic rivets to hold the fender liner. Have to drill them out and then use new plastic rivet. Harbor Frieght sell this tool and rivets so that was good. They are a couple miles away.
PICT6150.jpg

Liner removed
PICT6151.jpg

Bracket mounted on frame for reservoir
PICT6152.jpg

Shock and reservoir installed
PICT6153.jpg

PICT6154.jpg

That's it for now. New National Springs for the rear is the next major mod and also dealing with the steering to strengthen it up.

poriggity

Explorer
Beautiful shocks brother. I am in need of some new ones for my truck as well, but I just don't have the spare $$ right now :(

ExpoMike

Dang bubba where'd you find those fender well steps? I've been thinking about fabbing my own, but can't find a way to mount them without hampering something else. Can you post a pic of how they mount?

If you're talking about the step on the rear tire, that is a HitchMate tire step. It actually slides over the top of the tire with a bar across the back and the step on the front. It does not stay there when you move the vehicle.

I got it via Costco website, HitchMate Tire Setp

Folds up nice and compact. Works great.

thebigtiny

Hi Chris. Yes, please post up any info that you can share. I can always use more info as I continue to learn about 2nd Gen Rams and 12 valves. Definitely a different beast than other vehicles I have worked with.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
your truck is looking awesome I love my 99 Dodge CTD if you want to go see my truck look in the hardsided camper section on this forum. AND as you requested i am sharing my knowledge.

First go here and become a member this site has saved me thousands of dollars simply from the Knowledge base provided by the members

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

second in the picture below look at the little connecting arm at the bottom the Shock going up. it goes to the porportioning valve for the rear Brake. remove the small connecting arm and Tie or secure the larger arm in the UP or open position this Metering valve/porportining valve opens more when more weight makes the bed squat but you have those overloads on your spring pack. the point is your rear brakes are not that effective.

PICT6140.jpg

next consider replacing your brake lines with stainless brake lines with the surface rust on your frame I would be concerned about your brake lines.

third

steering stablizer
go here and purchase one of these this is a pricless addition to your dodge truck.
the frame front was designed for the 1500, lots of flexing and such this stiffins the front up and adds support to the steering box and the front of the frame.

http://www.solidsteel.biz/

this one you are not going to like. the 12 valve cummins has 1 major flaw we call it the KDP killer dowell pin. there is a dowell pin in the camshaft gear that over time slips out and it has a 50 /50 chance of getting caught in the gear that drives the camshaft gear it is not good about a 3000 dollar repair and up...sorry. But happy day the guys on the above forum have a Jig that they can attach to the cover set the engine on a timing mark and fix this in about 1 hour i highly suggest you take this route as soon as possible

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/12-valve-engine-transmission-1994-1998/77614-killer-dowel-pin-tab-fix-tips.html

http://www.dieselbombers.com/dodge-diesel-tech-articles/4498-killer-dowel-pin-fix.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189373

this next thread is how you find out about the easy fix with the jig i suggest you do research on this Good luck other wise that 12 valve will last a very long time.

http://turbodieselregister.com/forums/2nd-gen-12-valve-engine-transmission-faq/35685-what-kdp-how-do-i-fix.html

chris

thebigtiny

Mike
I would love to have a Pop up camper just waiting for the right one.
i would keep it all the time on the dodge and use the hardside coachman on my chevy duramax for more wifey camping trips.
of course i would have to build an expedition trailer to carry my stuff around for the dodge and the popup camper.

chris

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Have you had a chance to get the shocks "dirty" yet? How do they ride/feel?

Truck is looking great.

Jack

ExpoMike

Chris - Thanks for the info. Since I tend to do a lot of reading before jumping into a new rig, I have read about all of those things and a bunch more stuff. Been on TDR and a bunch of other Cummins/Ram forums. As for the "rust" actually most of that is AZ dirt. There is a little surface rust on the non coated parts but it lived it's life in AZ from day one. Still working on getting the suspension/steering stuff done. Brace high on the list.

Jack - Nope, haven't got out yet. What little bit I have driven on the street they definitely feel better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup