'97 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins Powered

blupaddler

Conspirator
Mike, great job so far!

I am looking into custom rear bumpers, but still deciding on price and design. That being said, the Tire Gate looks like a good temporary solution. How has it held up so far? Any issues, rattles, etc?

Also do you have a link or contact for the LED backup lights?

... And SWEEEEET Panel! I really want to come check out your Chevy collection one day. I really dig those older Chevys and have being trying to resist buying one (like I need another vehicle/project)

ExpoMike

Thanks Robb. Little by little. Now if I can keep from buying these old Chevy's, I would likely be moving faster on this project. LOL

The backup light were from, http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-Work-Lamp It's the 116mm version. They work great. I got the flood version.

As for the TireGate, it has been working great!!! I too want to build a custom rear bumper but time/funds have not been there. I needed something and this looked to be a good "temp" alternative. It's been working well enough that it might be "temp" for a long time, likely until the point I swap on the flatbed. Done a couple trips with a bunch of wash board trails and it's still tight and secure. It has a wedge lock plus the pin, so it gets really snugged up. For my app. it happed to fit very tightly to the bumper so I am sure that has helped. No rattles but with the Cummins, I don't hear much of anything else anyways. :D

The hitch part rated at 750 lbs. tongue weight and 7,500 lbs. tow weight. I was a little nervious at first when I hooked the car trailer to it but it worked perfect.

About the only minor complaint (and most swing outs have this issue) is there is no "lock" to hold it open. You can snug down the pivot bolts to put drag on it but if on a steep enough angle, the swing out will find it's natural open point. It would be nice if it had a couple stops it would lock into, for hills and such.

I was lucky to find mine on Craigslist. Not sure I would have spent the full price on one but after having it and seeing how well it's done and weight rated, I would be more likely to pay full price. If you didn't need the hitch to be used and could weld, you could build one for a lot less.

Hope that helps.

xdbx

Adventurer
Mike, quick question re: the tire gate.

I've got a similar setup with ram, pop up camper. I occasionally tow a 6x12 enclosed and from measuring, I see the tiregate would hit the top of its tongue jack, even with the most agressive drop hitch I can buy. That means I canT swing the tire out more than about 30 degrees, my camper door is hinged opposite yours, so I won't be able to get into the camper with the trailer on. suck!

What are your thoughts on this from towing your panel home? Could you have gotten into the camper for an overnight stop without detaching?

Spencinator

Adventurer
Not sure if I'm understanding this correctly but cant you use a swing away tongue jack like this one?

trailer-jack-2.jpg

xdbx

Adventurer
I wish I could. This is a substantially sized trailer with a welded in tongue jack. I have one of those folding dealios on my utility trailer that I drop thE camper on to and it's totally worthless with any weight on it.

I need to figure out something innovative. I'm not dumping the trailer for a long a-framed one at this time, and I have a local tiregate deal that is nagging me. I just need to figure out how to work it out with this trailer.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Mike, quick question re: the tire gate.

I've got a similar setup with ram, pop up camper. I occasionally tow a 6x12 enclosed and from measuring, I see the tiregate would hit the top of its tongue jack, even with the most agressive drop hitch I can buy. That means I canT swing the tire out more than about 30 degrees, my camper door is hinged opposite yours, so I won't be able to get into the camper with the trailer on. suck!

What are your thoughts on this from towing your panel home? Could you have gotten into the camper for an overnight stop without detaching?

Hi. As for the TireGate and towing, I was a little worried at first thought of doing it but it worked with no issues regarding the hitch/trailering part of things. As for getting inside, since my door and the swing out go the same way, I was able to swing both enough to easily get into the back. I can't recall if I could have swung the tire all the way as none of my pics really show that well but I do know the U-Haul trailer has an A frame drop down tongue jack and the screw part is at a 45* angle versus vertical. This make the handle lower than a standard jack so it might have cleared. As it was, I really could have used another 2" of drop on the receiver drop. The TireGate raised the receiver mount by the hight of the tube (2"). With the jack all the way down, we still had to lift it up onto the ball.

I don't have a head on shot but if you look at this, the stock receiver height would be below where the TireGate one is, by 2". There is about 1" between the bottom of the arm and receiver. Figure out your drop hitch and that would give you the height of the swing out.

PICT6192.jpg

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup