97 R50 Pathfinder- Building the dream

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow, nice job! Looks like you nailed it in design, strength and functionality all at once! :26_7_2:

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks Russel!

I was originally going to get the rear part shorter to match the rear door but it would've made it harder to load stuff on the roof.

Lecoq

Explorer
I got to use my sliders a bunch yesterday. Went on a winter trail run and it was fairly deep snow. On a few occasions I found myself slamming in the sides of dirt walls right on the sliders. I also used them to stand on to get recovery gear out of my roof box.

I wrecked my lower rad support where my tow hooks attach on the passenger side, hit a rock or a block of ice hard enough that I was convinced the airbags would deploy!

Here are the few pictures I took. I'll post more when I get them from the other drivers.

07B2EE2C-B5F0-40B9-B11B-E40CBC993C2C-16831-00000BF65A76AC30_zpsd01d45b5.jpg

FD0ACCED-954C-42B6-AB28-0BE7BAC5F2B6-16831-00000BF6A725C6AC_zps09c7a678.jpg

98B7B5E6-658E-4B8A-A6D7-989D5F48F96F-16831-00000BF6B5E933ED_zpsb491418e.jpg

70A8FC47-2800-401D-B7B4-76C022AE6F4D-16831-00000BF6C7A01FD2_zps6e50c4f1.jpg

FA257030-7A99-472F-8383-13662502777C-16831-00000BF6D4568797_zps7453df0f.jpg

Lecoq

Explorer
I also picked up another project on Friday night. This one has a V8...should be interesting to try and fund 2 SUV's at the same time.:elkgrin:
jeep_zpsc2cee219.jpg

Slicky72

Adventurer
Can you guys do a fleet style insurance out there? That is one of the reasons I don't have more toys, the separate insurance on every vehicle is a killer.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice snow wheeling pics! I can't belileve you guys still have that much snow out there.

So what made you buy another SUV project? Why is it on the trailer and what are your plans for the WJ and the R50?

Lecoq

Explorer
Can you guys do a fleet style insurance out there? That is one of the reasons I don't have more toys, the separate insurance on every vehicle is a killer.

We just get a discount for multiple vehicles.

Nice snow wheeling pics! I can't belileve you guys still have that much snow out there.

So what made you buy another SUV project? Why is it on the trailer and what are your plans for the WJ and the R50?

I picked up the WJ for two reasons.

1-I had one and loved it but it was a 4.0L six cylinder and, like my R50, gutless on the highway.
2-It was too good of a deal to pass up.

The WJ needs a head gasket, it's burning coolant right now but still runs. I work for a Jeep dealer so it only made sense to pick it up since I get cost on parts. The fact the there is a lot more available in terms of aftermarket helps a lot as well.

As for the plans, it's all up in the air right now. I have to fix the WJ and drive it a bit to see what else it might need. I also have to fix my newly bent lower rad support on the Pathfinder. After that I'll decide on what will be the daily and what will be the Expo vehicle. On paper the WJ is a better offroad choice with the 4.7L V8, solid front and rear axles and aftermarket support (bumper, suspension, lockers, skid plates etc...). And the Pathfinder is technically more suited for driving around with it's independent front suspension, reliability and quietness (love the fact that there isn't any rattles at 300,000kms).

But like I mentioned previously, it's all up in the air until either one of them are fixed.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Makes total sense since you work at a Jeep dealer and I'm sure you know them well- congratulations!

The WJs are a popular choice here for off-roading from mild to wild and I even considered one before finding the Pathy. I've heard some reliability concerns due to the lack of quality control at Chrysler but that's more recent (post Mercedes split) I believe. Oh and I didn't think headgaskets were an issue on the v8s but if someone overheated it due to a failed waterpump or leaking radiator then all bets are off.

Speaking of, how bad is the damage to the lower rad support? I remember the lower rad support to be pretty beefy and part of the frame?

Lecoq

Explorer
Here's a few pictures of the damage:

E97438CA-0547-4AB3-90C0-40302219B4D1-18355-00000D5710BAF9B4_zpsdef7239a.jpg

B663E1C6-C530-40F4-AA1A-660A3DD431C5-18355-00000D56E8C0E09B_zps184a4982.jpg

And the sliders at work lol:

B302EC02-912D-4C4D-B8FC-7307A9C425D8-18355-00000D5687EE4D20_zpsaabdeade.jpg

The 2 projects together.
2519232C-0C40-4191-B4BB-5BA7F61BD4D9-18355-00000D56F9F72CE0_zps1ac45231.jpg

I got the lower rad support straightened out. It still has a dent in it but it's back where it should be. The rad and shroud are lined up again.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Ouch, that looks a bit more tweaked than I'd imagined but glad you fixed it. What did you do to straighten it out?

Allof75

Pathfinder
Wow, must've been one heck of a hit! As above how'd you straighten it?

Also, side note, what are the dimensions of your cargo box? I'm looking at picking one up for an impending road trip...

PS- On the WJ, does it have Quadra Drive perhaps? Seems like a neat system, the WJ's best feature in my mind, next to the all-coil solid axles. I drove one and was fairly impressed, they were on my list for sure. And if I remember correctly, the structure was co-developed with Porsche or something, and was several times more torsionally rigid than the contemporary Mercedes ML...
Anyway, for your purposes, it would make an excellent more-extreme expo rig, just so you don't have to live with the V8 fuel economy every day, you could drive the R50 daily plus specific trips or what have you. And the aftermarket for the Jeep is gigantic, so you can make exactly what you want, and aren't limited by having to live with it day in and day out- for example, you could take the rear seat out permanently etc. Nice find, I like the color.

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
Ouch, that looks a bit more tweaked than I'd imagined but glad you fixed it. What did you do to straighten it out?

Wow, must've been one heck of a hit! As above how'd you straighten it?

Also, side note, what are the dimensions of your cargo box? I'm looking at picking one up for an impending road trip...

PS- On the WJ, does it have Quadra Drive perhaps? Seems like a neat system, the WJ's best feature in my mind, next to the all-coil solid axles. I drove one and was fairly impressed, they were on my list for sure. And if I remember correctly, the structure was co-developed with Porsche or something, and was several times more torsionally rigid than the contemporary Mercedes ML...
Anyway, for your purposes, it would make an excellent more-extreme expo rig, just so you don't have to live with the V8 fuel economy every day, you could drive the R50 daily plus specific trips or what have you. And the aftermarket for the Jeep is gigantic, so you can make exactly what you want, and aren't limited by having to live with it day in and day out- for example, you could take the rear seat out permanently etc. Nice find, I like the color.

Unfortunately the WJ has Quadra TracII. I could always swap the axles for the VariLock ones and it would bring it up to a Quadra Drive. For that amount of work I might just install lockers tho. It's all up in the air until the WJ is running and driveable.

I straightened the lower rad support by wrapping a cheap tow strap around it and hooking it up to the base of a hoist. 4lo, reverse gently and done. It's all back where it should be!:wings:

Janseman

Observer
That last winter trail run was crazy!! so much snow and ice! There were a couple times I thought we'd have to turn around and find another route. It was a long day but very memorable!!! Can't wait for our summer camping and wheeling trips whether you bring the pathfinder or the new jeep!! If you bring the jeep make sure you take it easy on the gas pedal so I can keep up with you on the highway :smiley_drive:

Lecoq

Explorer
I picked up yet another vehicle today. And, again, a good deal I wasn't able to pass up. I bought a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8. It's in great shape apart from a crack in the bottom air dam in the front bumper.

My Jeep is still in the shop and I have yet to drive it. The wife is not thrilled about the fact that I now have 3 SUVs. I'll have to pick one...Not an easy task.

My Pathfinder is nice, comfortable and has been restored mechanically. Apart from lockers, I've reached the end of it's bolt on life. Everything from now on is custom made. It's quite slow on hills and I feel like I run out of power more often than I'd like.

The Jeep, well, I bought it and I have yet to drive it very far since it's been in the shop since Monday and probably will be for at least one more week. It has the power I want, the aftermarket support I want and cost on most items is quite reasonable (maintenance and offroad toys). It's definitely the more high maintenance of the 3 but I believe it could also be the most capable since it has solid front and rear axles.

The 4Runner. The price was right. It has the 4.7L V8, leather interior and it looks good. Aftermarket options are not as common as I thought since it has the rear air suspension, it limits the suspension options. Replacement parts are quite expensive and harder to come by. It is the newest one of the 3 and has the less mileage. In terms of reliability I think this could be the winner.

Not going to be easy.

As they say: First World Problems

On with the pics:drool:

T2eC16JHJGwE9nySeJDBRJE7plyg48_20_zps96f61d79.jpg

T2eC16FHJGE9nm3pv9EBRJE6peUW48_20_zps4d887625.jpg

KGrHqZHJEsFEPokNh3BRJE7462Sg48_20_zps9eb022fe.jpg

KGrHqVoEFEGeDqkBRJE8pROg48_20_zps3ed2e997.jpg

T2eC16ZyUE9s6NGoTBRJE7NHLF48_20_zps4491d486.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member